Lettin' Somebody Else Drive Your Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lettin' Somebody Else Drive Your Ride

Tomorrow during the work day it looks like I'll get the road course driving guy to finish the brake hose job on Red. This guy is a co-owner of Tracks Unlimited, and one of their in-car instructors. A younger guy, maybe 30-something. He's got the "car" light in his eyes.

He's got a budding shop set up real close to where I work, so for the hookup he offered me a few options. He offered me to drop Red by the shop during the day and I could drive his beater Dodge pickup back to work while he did the job on Red.

From the choices, I went for he stops by my work and gets Red and brings him back, and he leaves his pickup in the parking lot in the meantime.

I've got no problem at all with Rob driving Red. Rob's a race car guy after all. But I don't want to drive his pickup truck. My line of thought is if somebody runs into me while I'm driving that pickup truck, there I am in a vehicle that doesn't belong to me. And I feel responsible. I don't like handling anybody else's stuff.

Does that make any sense at all? Probably not. I mean, Point A: If I have great confidence in you, you can drive my car and I won't worry about it a bit. Point B: I don't want to drive yours, because it doesn't belong to me.
    Last edited by pdub; April 4, 2013, 03:46 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

valid points.

your car does not need an instructor course to drive .. that is good.

The more I fix my own, the more I am on another planet with it.

why is stage 1 grabs so rare and confusing? It is the first clutch in 25 years of manual trannies that I liked.

maybe it was my dads old rigs that got my first feel.. another world it is. Or maybe the tractor with a PTO. ..big engage there.

anyway, I'd let him pick it up if you are that nervous.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I get it PW. I don't like to drive friends stuff either.
      I turned one guy loose in my wife's WRX, then declined to drive his pride and joy Rat Rod.
      He seemed a bit offended, then he said no really, I want you to tell me if its running like it should....sheesh I don't have a clue what is in that engine. I did drive it tho, and I didn't die, or even worse crash it, or blow it up LOL.
      A.K.A. Brian
      Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

lettin' somebody else drive your ride
        "F" No!!!!!!!
        Last edited by TC; April 4, 2013, 04:33 PM.

Comment

I have let a few people drive my car since I've had it... I think literally a few, or 3 people - in 19 years. Maybe 4.

If I am confident in the person's abilities to drive a modified muscle car and the peculiarities that come with ANY old car - AND If I trust that person... then go for it.

I am less inclined to drive other people's stuff for the same reasons already mentioned.
          Last edited by yellomalibu; April 4, 2013, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yellomalibu View Post
            I have let a few people drive my car since I've had it... I think literally a few, or 3 people - in 19 years. Maybe 4.

Rob will make four to drive Red since I've had him. Me, Matt's friend Fred (after the BS party at Mike Copeland's place), and Sue Unit. Sue Unit can drive him just fine. She just dosn't want to.
            Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I let a bud of mine make a pass on the strip in my 79 Formula. Back then it had a 4 speed and a mild and somewhat over cammed 400 in it. He raced a T bucket with a 302 chevy/PG, 7500 shift points and not much torque in a very light car. He did the burnout and took the tach clean off the dial and shed the alt/water pump belt in the process, leaving a dent in the hood. 6000 rpm is a bit high for a stock rod 400 with heavy TRW slugs in it, and the tach goes to 6500 in that car.

After that, it is damn rare I let anyone drive my cars, especially making passes at the strip in them. Driving vehicles owned by others doesnt bother me, because I drove vehicles owned by tax payers that cost a couple million dollars on a daily basis. However, I dont do anything stupid with them, and I am just as wary driving theirs as I am in mine. I have taken friends cars down the strip to see if I could get a better time than they did, and often I did.

Its not without some reluctance and consideration that I drive anyone elses car. That being said, I am building a car for a guy who is getting older and has backed into a number of things with his trucks every year since I met him. Maybe a back up camera for the GTO is a good idea.

Comment

I drive other peoples cars every weekend. Down the track at that, speed shifting stock bottom end cars. Why do I not worry? Because if they break, I'll be beside them repairing them. Same as if they break mine, they'd be here helping me. Or if they break it thereself or the fact I helped put it together to begin with.

Now these people are close friends, and they're car guys, they know not to mess with every switch and button and know to let a car warm up before you take off.
                Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I don't like anyone driving the cars.I've had so many people over the years ask to drive the 72 and it's like a switch that gets flipped.Hell, i take the tires off and roll them down to the tire shop, same went with the Mazda and my dad's car.
                  "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

I have let Chad beat on the Impala on Van Nuys Blvd. Yannick has tested its handling prowess. John McGann of Car Craft drove it at Bobs one Friday. He did let me abuse a Mustang press car. I have driven his Crown Vic while he hunted for a rattle. My friend, Malkeet drove it all the way back from Vegas. He got in the car so I could more sleep and wouldnt give me the keys back until I dumped him at the airport. I got my other arm tanned finally.

I loaned my Caprice to my good friend, Bill, for nearly a year after his got totalled and we finally found a replacement, the Monte Carlo he left me. I let a couple other friends drive the Caprice while I worked on their cars too. My buddy, Carl, drove both. Hell, he put my suspension back together in the rain while I was work.

What do they all have in common? They all have respect for other peoples' property. Half of them could fix it if they wrecked it. And, it was cool to see it run from somewhere besides the driver's seat.
                    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                      I have let Chad beat on the Impala on Van Nuys Blvd. Yannick has tested its handling prowess. John McGann of Car Craft drove it at Bobs one Friday. He did let me abuse a Mustang press car. I have driven his Crown Vic while he hunted for a rattle. My friend, Malkeet drove it all the way back from Vegas. He got in the car so I could more sleep and wouldnt give me the keys back until I dumped him at the airport. I got my other arm tanned finally.

I loaned my Caprice to my good friend, Bill, for nearly a year after his got totalled and we finally found a replacement, the Monte Carlo he left me. I let a couple other friends drive the Caprice while I worked on their cars too. My buddy, Carl, drove both. Hell, he put my suspension back together in the rain while I was work.

What do they all have in common? They all have respect for other peoples' property. Half of them could fix it if they wrecked it. And, it was cool to see it run from somewhere besides the driver's seat.
                      This^
                      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Yea not just anybody for sure. My kids drive mine throughout the summers (Me or Wife is always with them). My best friend from high-school still regularly takes it to the track for races like Super Chevy. He may even use it to start this season since he scattered the bottom end in his GTO last season. Heck, I think he's won more trophies in it than I have.

As far as driving other's stuff ... it depends. If they're a good friend, it doesn't concern me, but to jump in an acquaintance's car, no I'll pass. Customers are a different story altogether.
                        Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Not a big deal. That's what insurance is for.
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                            Not a big deal. That's what insurance is for.
                            Many years ago a friend of mine had a '71 455 SD TransAm, he let one of this best friends drive it, the guy got stupid with it and wrecked it into tree taking out the passenger side door and back half of the car, the insurance company totaled it and it went to the wrecking yard. Insurance can't replace everything, and in today's market his buddy cost him and easy 70K........

Comment

The tighter I try to hold on to this worlds attractions the more slippery they become. Now will I toss them to someone I think there is a very good chance it won't turn out good.......no.
                              Last edited by Dan Barlow; April 6, 2013, 09:33 PM.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X