No announcement yet.

Lettin' Somebody Else Drive Your Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get nervous enough when the mechanic drives it around the block to test the brakes once a year for safety inspection.

Nobody drives my car but me, nobody. It's like putting ketchup on a hot dog.

Dirty Harry's famous speech about never putting ketchup on a hot dog. He must be a Chicagoan at heart.
    Last edited by occupant; April 6, 2013, 04:31 PM.
    Alan Moore - Wichita Falls, TX
    1976 Gran Torino 351C - Four Door Whore

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
      Most certainly, the Gen I MC SS was a bonafide muscle car. No argument there. But the '80s SS? More like a "cake mix" car that needed a fair amount of extra ingredients, preparation, and "baking" to complete.
      Hey now be nice, many of us here have these "Cake Mix Cars" you refer to.... Mine is all stock with headers and ya it's nothing to brag about...... Though I'm going to throw some spice in the mix and notch it up over time...... Ordered the short travel lifters and Total Seal rings the other day, I'm now ready to take the block to the machine shop.....

Comment

"Cake mix."

That's a new term to me. A good one, but new.

I'dda never thought I would have lived so long, and I'dda never thought I'd have had so much fun with a car as I've had with Red. It's like being a teenager again.

Midlife crisis? No, it's not a crisis, far from it. Who in the world came up with that term, midlife crisis?
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
          "Cake mix."

That's a new term to me. A good one, but new.

I'dda never thought I would have lived so long, and I'dda never thought I'd have had so much fun with a car as I've had with Red. It's like being a teenager again.

Midlife crisis? No, it's not a crisis, far from it. Who in the world came up with that term, midlife crisis?
          Been riding 750 cc and up bikes most of my adult life.. The most miles when the kids were growing up..
          I want another Gold Wing or something like that.. Not my kids, but rest of my family and friends say it is my mid-life crisis.. WTH?
          Why isn't driving my 57 considered as such?

Comment

If I didn't trust you enough to drive my car then you're probably not my friend. I'd let any friend drive my car..
            Powertour off/on since 2002
            sigpic

Comment

They're just a cars. Almost every car I own was a day or two away from a date with a crusher, I fixed it once, I can fix it again. I let a kid who worked on his truck in my shop drive my Skylark. I let a neighbor drive my Corvette. My truck might as well have a flashing red sign because of all the people who've used it for hauling stuff.

Notably with the Corvette and the Buick drives - seeing the expression on their face after driving it was well worth it. I'd rather the car not be wrecked, but it's why I have insurance.

Had I not loaned out the Skylark, this story wouldn't have happened (no need for fiction). I had to pick up the diesel truck from a shop that fixed the injector pump. I needed someone to drive one of the cars. The kid had no running car (oh, the life of a young gearhead). We get to the shop, and I can see the calculations going on in the head of the kid - and he's figured that he'll be driving the diesel (I'm loling inside because I already was going to have him drive the Buick). I handed him the keys to the Buick - eyes go wide as saucers - and tell him not to outrun me too much as I don't know whether or not the truck is going to run right (true).... somewhere I have pictures of him driving the Buick (I'd catch him at lights). The Buick is long gone, but that memory is etched on both of us forever.

Really, they're just cars.
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post

Really, they're just cars.
                SBG...that one's hard. Could it be that you're a Car Guy with a grand heart but no soul? Just sayin'/asking.....

Comment

cars do what I tell them to do, when they don't they get junked. Keeping in mind, you're on your first hot rod.... I'm a few decades from my first one
                  Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 7, 2013, 01:31 PM.

Comment

cars do what I tell them to do, when they don't they get junked. Keeping in mind, you're on your first hot rod.... I'm a few decades from my first one
                    Naw, I'm on my second one. Albeit the first one was nearly 40 years ago and I WAS a teenager, so...

Note to self: Don't prod a lawyer RE emotional stuff.
                    Last edited by pdub; April 7, 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

well, I suppose I could be heartless and say - I value friends more than cars..... but that would be just mean, so I'll leave it unsaid

Comment

Almost every car I own was a day or two away from a date with a crusher
                        This ^ keeps it (the hobby) enjoyable. Top secret stuff.....SBG, don't let all the cats out of the bag.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by occupant View Post
                          I get nervous enough when the mechanic drives it around the block to test the brakes once a year for safety inspection.

Nobody drives my car but me, nobody. It's like putting ketchup on a hot dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5JIpT4GkyM
                          That's one of my favorite Dirty Harry / Clint Eastwood quotes! I use it, and I live it!

Comment

Working...
                          X