There's Retro Rods, Rat Rods, and then there's this thing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's Retro Rods, Rat Rods, and then there's this thing

I guess you gotta give the guy credit, it looks like he drives the hell out of it, but it looks like he went out of his way to make it ugly. What do you think the box sides are made from?

Re: There's Retro Rods, Rat Rods, and then there's this thing

Originally posted by VTJUNK
    I guess you gotta give the guy credit, it looks like he drives the hell out of it, but it looks like he went out of his way to make it ugly. What do you think the box sides are made from?
    I'm guessing that fake-hardwood laminate wall material that was so popular in the '70s.

Comment

If leatherface from the chainsaw massacre series was a car....he'd look like that.

Don't get to close to that thing, you may catch ebola.

Yick.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

That looks like the Beverly Hillbillies new car ;D

I think he may have gone a little loopy..

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

The sides are Cedar but the piece across the back is Mahogany. Might be another frustrated woodworker.

Comment

"Different strokes for different folks" (Sly Stone). Can't say I'm PINING for one of those. Get my (j)oak? I'm not puttin' my ash in that thing (etc, etc). Can you imagine the splinters from a wreck in that contraption?

Dan

Comment

Screw the splinters during a wreck, how about the death by burning.

Look to the right and down of the fire extinguisher, just along the hump for the trans. It looks like copper pipe. I'm guessing that's the fuel line. Wreck happens...if you'r not already dead, gas will be pouring out of that line onto you and down through the hole in the floor where the parking brake handle is, on to a presumably hot exhaust pipe.

Me thinks that will end badly.

Brian

Comment

I can sympathize with someone on a budget, I can also appreciate doing the best you can, with what you have got. This does not appear to be either. Someone put alot of time and misguided effort into this thing. I can't imagine how the "planning stages" conversations went, or who/what could have been involved....must be peyote.

P.S. I think the wood is from a pallet.

Comment

Looks like someone failed woodshop, metalshop, and autoshop; all with the same project.

The wood is too good to be from a pallet. I'm guessing it's woodworking scrap, or he had an old set of bookshelves he decided to use (I could make a joke about not needing bookshelves, but I don't want to take the insults too far).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed
                    The sides are Cedar but the piece across the back is Mahogany. Might be another frustrated woodworker.
                    I recognized the Cedar right away, but didn't recognize the Mahogany until you pointed it out.

Cedar is lightweight... that thing must be fast! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Cramer
                      Originally posted by VTJUNK
                      I'm guessing that fake-hardwood laminate wall material that was so popular in the '70s.
                      Have that same kind for my kitchen floor ;D :P
                      HRPT 2004LH 2007LH 2008

Comment

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. :P

Comment

Denise's advice also applies to having children..... vic
                          vic NASCARland

Comment

I wonder if he is Poplar at cruise nights

Comment

try the veal!

Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X