Washing Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washing Wheels

I'm loving Red's new wheels since they're not black anymore. But they're a raw spot in the keester to try to wash. Well, you can't wash them. 90% of the wheel is behind the spoke pattern and you can't get your hand or much of a rag through there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Wheel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	879917

I've worked on washing the spokes until I'm just plumb tired of it and then when I roll the car at all and look at it again I can see all of the spots I missed. A LOT of spots. Dadgummit

So.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Washer Thingy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	879918

I ordered this today. I'm asking too late because I've already ordered this. Does anybody have any experience with a product like this? How bad did I do?
    Last edited by pdub; April 8, 2013, 03:28 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

TBD - to be decided - let us know.
    Phil / Omaha

Comment

Yeah, that's going to be sort of an issue with Mary's coupe........and the Camaro, for that matter.
      Earl doesn't have that problem:

Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

if chemistry stuck it there to be stubborn, there is chemistry to remove it.
        brakes remind me of the inside of a computer CRT monitor, the plastic gets all baked brown with...human. Nothing cleans it.. soap and water useless.

Then there is a citric based cleaner called totally awesome at family dollar. it does the same magic trick in reverse.. you need to drench every square inch of what you are cleaning.

It is the same idea as a pc and CRT.. endpoints for ionization, heatsinks, etc. that is all cars wheels and brakes.

No need to scrub too hard for a natural event...and No need for chemistry that will melt the tires.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Just thought about it.....have you tried Simple Green?? Sometimes it doesn't even need scrubbing, but I don't know how it will work on brake dust.........
          Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
          HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Simple Green works great on my Magnums wheels....brake dust is all the dirt on them, really makes it easy to wipe off.

PeeWee, you are probably going to have to turn your wheels all the way to one side, then reach in from behind. Roll car 1/2 wheel revolution, reach in and get other half. Turn steering wheel to opposite direction and repeat. Don't forget the rears before rolling car.
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Hmmmm....nope haven't tried that. If it's something you just squirt on and it makes nasty stuff magically disappear, I'd be real interested....

Comment

PeeWee: wishing you all the best with 'Adam's Turbo Stick Wheel Cleaning Tool' but by golly it's a Rube Goldberg looking device if I ever saw one. I'm thinking Stiney's given you your solution; certainly beats taking the wheels off every time you want to give them a thorough cleaning.
                Michael from Hampton Roads

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
                  Simple Green works great on my Magnums wheels....brake dust is all the dirt on them, really makes it easy to wipe off.

PeeWee, you are probably going to have to turn your wheels all the way to one side, then reach in from behind. Roll car 1/2 wheel revolution, reach in and get other half. Turn steering wheel to opposite direction and repeat. Don't forget the rears before rolling car.
                  That photo above is of the left rear. These great giant fat wheels are freakin' filthy.

I'm not gonna win a car show like this. Not that I even want to. We'll see how the flying whirling cloth pads attached to a drill motor will work. I'll bet that rig works once. Or twice. I'll bet it flies apart, but we'll see. I WILL report the results, if nobody else here has played with that.

Comment

Peewee, try any of the spray on wheel cleaners, they work very, very well- my favourite is called "Orange Blast wheel cleaner". There are versions by all of the big names.
                    You spray it on, and hose it off immediately, and it works incredibly, no scrubbing.

And the wheels on my truck are white, with a polished (then clear coated) lip. Try it!!

(I also use the same products on the polished aluminum [raw] wheels on my Mustang, works fantastic)
                    Last edited by Teddyzee; April 8, 2013, 07:04 PM.
                    1997 Ranger 5.0L HO, GT40 heads/tubular intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, B303, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster mufflers, T5 trans, Tri-Ax shifter, CenterForce Dual Friction clutch, 8.8 Traction Lok 3.55 gears, Cobra 13" front brakes, Cobra 11.65" rear discs.
                    1997 Mustang GT
                    sigpic

Comment

Can't wait to hear your review of the wheel stick brush!
                      Its my understanding that Adam's is quality stuff! So I am apt to believe it will work as advertised.

Comment

Be SURE... no make it POSITIVE. That you use a CORDLESS drill..
                        We don't wanna hear about a roasted PeeWee..

Comment

RIGHT BOB! and put that thing low on the clutch setting so you don't hook one of those deals into something solid and take your wrist straight to the ER.

Dang - someday I may have a car nice enough to worry about washing the wheels - thanks for reminding me why I liked black wheels!

(LOL - sorry Pdub - I just had to)
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Can you get your hand in there? Maybe buy acheap set of cotton chore gloves and get the wheels clean. Be careful with simple green. Might want to dilute it a little so it won't mess up the coating. Seen bad things happen when used straight and left on to long. I can't remember who makes it but there is a spray on wheel and tire cleaner that works well. Just use plenty of water when rinsing.

Or you could paint em black and rinse them off. Sorry pdub.
                            Jeff
                            Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                              Be SURE... no make it POSITIVE. That you use a CORDLESS drill..
                              We don't wanna hear about a roasted PeeWee..
                              Bob, you've taken all the fun of it. I was going to use my 1974-model uninsulated metal-body drill motor and figured to stick one bare foot in the soap bucket to make sure I don't tip that over why I'm rassling with the Rube contraption....

Comment

Working...
                              X