Washing Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peewee View Post
    Bob, you've taken all the fun of it. I was going to use my 1974-model uninsulated metal-body drill motor and figured to stick one bare foot in the soap bucket to make sure I don't tip that over why I'm rassling with the Rube contraption....
    Go ahead if that is your kinda BUZZ!
    I absolutely HATE those kinds of buzzes... I sweat alot and when welding at certain places... BZZZTTT OH FAWK! fling the holder to the end of it's tether...

Comment

Pdub, did you remember to give them a coating of spray wax as suggested a while back? Makes the dust come off them a bit easier anyway ...

The wheels look great in silver BTW!

cheers
      Ed
      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by fast Ed View Post
        Pdub, did you remember to give them a coating of spray wax as suggested a while back? Makes the dust come off them a bit easier anyway ...

The wheels look great in silver BTW!

cheers
        Ed
        Thanks Ed! If anything, I woulda gone with something more silver-er than what I chose. And all the fine folks here are making great sport of me having to clean the wheels that used to be ugly ass daylight sucking black. I'd rather clean then.

Yes, I waxed the wheels to start with. That wheel wax spray stuff smells just like baseball card bubble gum. It sure does, a flashback from nearly 50 years ago. But the brake dust still doesn't just squirt off.

And Ed, thanks as always for helping me to put the whole package together, all the parts. And everybody else. Did I ever say I love BangShift?
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz View Post
          Can't wait to hear your review of the wheel stick brush!
          Its my understanding that Adam's is quality stuff! So I am apt to believe it will work as advertised.
          Exhibit A:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheel Washers.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	869179

I got the big one and the little one, didn't know what I'd need.

Overall on a 1 to 10, on this particular set of wheels I'll give it a 5. Because it sure can reach in there and get the huge inside of the wheel you can't reach otherwise. But neither the big one or the little one is going to get the corners of that intricate spoke pattern. And if you're careless with it, it'll sling black crap all over the quarter panel you just finished washing and drying.

Superman came over and checked it out. He talked about all the wheel cleaners and how each one is sorta this and sorta that, with different caustic qualities, etc. And I saw that at the store this morning. So many choices - chrome rims, aluminum rims, etc., and I wouldn't know which one to choose with my (I think) aluminum wheels that have been powder coated.

So he checked out the whirling thing on the end of the drill motor and said, "That's a novel approach." Superman is by nature non-abrasive. He did NOT say, "You slobbering idiot, that will never work for hell or hospital bills." He did NOT say that, so I don't know what he actually thought.

He did give me the best suggestion I've gotten so far. I finished the wheel job with a toothbrush.

But while I was at the store this morning I did score a pretty cool jug of car wash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Car Soap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	869180

This stuff makes great suds and smells like a sexy lady's perfume. Red got all excited while I was rubbing him with that. I didn't get excited, I've got exactly enough women already.

And while I was out there messing with those wheels, I watched as pollen piled up on Red's new wash job. Again. So now I can clay bar and wax him, he's just not shining like a new penny anymore. Gotta fix that.

Has anybody ever had any experience with black wheels? I may be interested....
          Last edited by pdub; April 12, 2013, 11:33 AM.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
          X