Summit racing paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ford141 View Post
    Maybe I would be better off just choosing a solid color. The original color is metallic green and the interior is green. I don't want to paint the inside of the cab since it is currently all together and complete. Low cost, quick turnaround is most important with this truck, not necessarily color. It is hard to find solid green colors that don't look like a John Deere. Then again, in my redneck area, the John Deere look might help it sell better........ hmmmm
    One derby guy has the John Deere theme.. Paints his car with the Deere paint.. Sprays it about 2 am.. Load up during dewy daybreak.. Still be tacky. Then by time we get where we are going.. Done! In those conditions it turns out pretty good.. Think how nice it will look in good conditions..

Comment

I had a Forest Service Green '80 Chevy PU. That's the one that got a BBB. Anyhow - my plan was to paint it mostly white with a green hood stripe and green rockers so the green interior would "fit". I had to replace the hood and painted it so it already had the scheme - looked a LOT better.

Dan

Comment

Dupont works for me , but I haven't painted a car in 15 years

Comment

Hmmmm, white is a possibility. I hadn't thought of white because I hate white vehicles. But if I'm selling it anyways, I dont have to look at it. White might be the way to go. Not sure I want to tackle a two-tone job, I'm not confident enough in my painting ability to pull that one off...
          Still plays with trucks....

Comment

You may be able to find a solid green shade that's close enough to the oem metallic - but you might end up with something that looks like a john deere tractor.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

omni paint

for a cheap good paint job i have always used omni "ppg but cheap version" either way you want to go base clear, enanmel it lays down nice. Avg price enamal 180-450 dependig on color and base clear or enamal and/or white to red in color. Just make sure u get a slow hardner so ya can lay the the whole paint job down wet n get that shine

Comment

I've used the Omni paint, we painted my dad's truck with Omni single stage Urethane. Still way more expensive than the Summit paint line. He had $250 in a gallon of red, Summit is $71 per gallon.

John, I was trying to avoid the John Deere look, but some people dig it, so it might be a viable route.
                Last edited by ford141; April 11, 2013, 06:53 AM.
                Still plays with trucks....

Comment

10 4 on that i have never messed with anything cheaper than omni however i believe its all in the reducer and hardner you use just get her nice n wet n itll look good! Good luck on ur paint job hope it turns out great!!

Comment

Spray for shine. Best painting advise I ever got. With enamel JUST when it gets shiny is about perfect - but drier for the first coat.

The above doesn't apply for base/clear. The base likes to be just a little dry. I keep getting it too wet out of habit.

Dan

Comment

If you're just going to flip it, you could always run it down to maaco for one of their $300 dollar specials...

Might end up being just as cheap by time you buy all the supplies...
                      87 Mustang GT with bolt on's. Follow my build here:
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...d-Budget-Build

Comment

Working...
                      X