real life hermit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real life hermit

I am admiring the ingenuity, not the thief.
    hermit central maine

got caught after thieving from a camp. he stole for many years. Left the wallets took the propane instead.

I spent just one year, but in a camp with a wood stove, landlady in her own place not far off. My time was considered northern maine. Extremely extreme.. 17-18 yrs old. No money, no stores, no food..a whle year. I went animal about six months in. I also gained a hypothermic trait enough to cause a heart attack if to attempt it.

I related to living like a bear, desire to eat in fall and spring a lot more than usual. Spring must have been an animals mating routine (laugh if you want). I found primitive on the human scale. I was 17 to 18 after all. A memory for life. I have talked of it, mostly get a laugh.. until a real wilderness guru listens. My story is actually what got a crew chief job thrown at me at the local base.

I actually like this story, except for the thieving, premeditated appearance altering. A guy like that on an average SSI...say just 1k a month. My version of heaven. Nothing to do with a mental problem. Desire for wilderness is hardly mental.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 10, 2013, 12:52 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Early 20's. Worked the lumber mill ..buddy was a logger.. Never saw each other spring/summer/fall.. Hunting season we get together.. Meat fish and firewood.. No unemployment to draw from.. Lived off the land.. Canned and froze everything..
    Nearest store...7 miles.. Gas candy and jerky. Grocery store: 15 or so miles one way..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      Early 20's. Worked the lumber mill ..buddy was a logger.. Never saw each other spring/summer/fall.. Hunting season we get together.. Meat fish and firewood.. No unemployment to draw from.. Lived off the land.. Canned and froze everything..
      Nearest store...7 miles.. Gas candy and jerky. Grocery store: 15 or so miles one way..
      I see your location and smell the pacific. That must have been a good time in a lot of ways.
      When the west shifts to cold here, its an entire continent fed with an Alaskan chain. The opposite of a redwood...everything shrinks shrivels and dies...unless its an animal.

I did take to some coyotes, footprints all around my camp. They are like dogs if you stoop down to their level. Same starvation...

I got some delivery from a church.. or something anonymous. That was a good thing, I was headed for some serious health problem.

I did gain some oddity for life. resonant frequency stuff. Almost like tinnitus. I could stand in front of jet engine with a fire bottle.. but don't ask me to ride in a suped up Honda.

I can't stand inline engines.. and I like the wobbling 8cyl, lopy cams. Not sure when that embedded. sometime in the middle of a 10 below spell...for weeks. I even grew to dislike the landladys pickup, old smooth 350.. reminded me of starving.

Other than that, awesome experience. No market will ever invade that wavelength I went to as natural influence. The only reason a bit more than a year went by.. some schedule for the military enlistment was delayed. I was expecting just one week ...
      Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 10, 2013, 01:20 PM.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Had one stretch where my wife and I never stepped foot in a grocery store for over 3 years..
        Milked our own cow, had chickens and ducks for eggs, grew a huge garden with a large walk behind
        Bought gas for trucks and tractors as well as mower, saws and tiller..
        Still needed $$ for gas,rent, power and house water..
        Dammed a creek and ran a pump for garden water..
        Water Resource board demanded I tear dam apart, no permit to build..
        Water was run off from corn farmer up the stream.. He even ran the big pump to fill the ditch for me..
        No matter.. Govmnt wins every time.. Or face fines
        Last edited by Deaf Bob; April 10, 2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Let Me Get This Straight ..YOU WANT SSI ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
            You want some SSI, well then here you go........

Comment

disability ?

Comment

WTH ? Man you guys got some balls! I hate the damn cold and Id never live like that but I guess you do what you gotta do.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  to this place..
                  ssi is the number 1 income...

...after surviving everything with no market. For my own "joy", the net has been awesome.
                  I even saved an old ricer with it.

here is a fresh story on the same guy.

something peculiar about this one.. maybe its a pile of hidden money. the clean clothes and surreal, and no heat at all.. maintaining a layer of lard...no health issues.

in the photos is some soft boughs of the pine. those are warm. just 50 miles north of there, things get prickly. like a mountain... that is where I lived.
                  Previously boxer3main

Comment

Nope. That's why God invented "indoors".

Dan

Comment

soc sec pays in the low to not much category

Comment

My thought is that they probably hated arresting the guy and will see to it he gets a very light sentence. It's the kind of story where you want to leave boots and things intentionally laying around for him to grab.

Comment

Originally posted by NightShifter View Post
                          My thought is that they probably hated arresting the guy and will see to it he gets a very light sentence. It's the kind of story where you want to leave boots and things intentionally laying around for him to grab.
                          some even thought of letting him go back, but the property owner does not want it there. It took this event to tell the landowner apparently.

Somebody already making songs:
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Working...
                          X