Calling Geezer Scientists - vintage oil question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Geezer Scientists - vintage oil question

So my Old Man INSISTS on putting "40-weight, NON-detergent oil" in the old (1947) tractor because that's what it called for back in the day.

I understand what 'detergents' are, i.e., they help sweep away gunk and crap that's inside your motor...

But WHY would a dealer or factory rep specify "non-detergent" oil be used?

Wouldn't normal oil with 'detergents' be better in a work vehicle?

And wouldn't ANY modern oil be better than what some scientist specified back in the 40's or 50's?

Help me convince him to come out of the stone age. Please.
    Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

After all these years of non-detergent................putting detergent in may result in needing a rebuilt motor soon, as all the crud/crap will be loosened and make its way to plug the oil pickup screen. And other small places.

That doesn't really answer your question though - I'm interested in hearing opinions on this.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

(Taking me teeth out so I sound right....Oops - them suckers are glued in there!). Listen here Sonny. Back when I was mere lad manufacturers sometimes specified non-detergent oil because (as I understand it) early detergents could attack bearing surfaces over time. Besides, non-detergent supposedly burns cleaner which is an issue IF your engine burns oil. Modern oil should be fine but if the ol' boy is happy with his vintage oil, what the heck.

Listen to your elders! Damn whippersnappers.......

Dan

Comment

the only slop known back then was called carbon, and tat is forever.

who in their right mind would clean the toughest part of a tough engine out?

then came wonder bread.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

poured babbit bearings

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
            poured babbit bearings

this!
            It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Working...
            X