Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas for a hot rodded wheel chair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ideas for a hot rodded wheel chair.

An old AF buddy lives near me, and 6 years ago was in an accident leaving him paralyzed from the chest down. We got to talking and I offered to mod his chair with some cool paint and whatever else we can dream up. The paint I can handle, but can you guys think of anything else that might be cool?

Got any JATO's lying about?
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

an electric motor from this Mercedes.

or maybe two, one for each wheel, torque vectoring...no steer needed.
      and Bonneville, or maybe the texas mile. Needs some room.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

There is a guy here in Phoenix that sells HotRod bodies for Mobility Scooters, here's a pic of the VW Van that he sells, I've seen him at the Pavillions Car Show and he was at the Good Guys Show, if I remember right he has like 4 or 5 different bodies to choose from....

Last edited by TC; April 11, 2013, 11:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
          There is a guy here in Phoenix that sells HotRod bodies for Mobility Scooters, here's a pic of the VW Van that he sells, I've seen him at the Pavillions Car Show and he was at the Good Guys Show, if I remember right he has like 4 or 5 different bodies to choose from....

That is pretty cool. Now if is an actual wheel chair, I'd say just get one that is made to go fast to start with.
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

briggs etek , but you'll need wheelie bars and range / tire life might be reduced.

Actually, yeah, have a look at Squirrel's brother's small amplifier and marine speakers for an ipod hookup.
            Last edited by Beagle; April 12, 2013, 03:12 AM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

wonder if you can use the wheels off a golf cart. They have a bunch aftermarket rims for those.
              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

If it is a standard wheel chair big wide tires are a bad idea, more rolling resistance = harder to push...

I have seen some hopped up chairs, custom wheels on them...Here are some bolt ons...

Here are some other ideas LOL!
                We have sandwich art, trash art, video console art and now the craze is Wheelchair art. Perhaps next we'll see exhibitions in museums as these medical devices move toward a new creative direction.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Here....

Last edited by Ron Ward; April 12, 2013, 06:49 AM.
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Joe's got it! Wide tires as cool as they look take some muscle to move..
                    Does he really want to kill his batteries and reduce his range?

How do I know? I built a "garden cart" out of an old front axle.. I had 10" wide tires on it.. Looked cool! Hard to push in the garden! Put normal width tires on it.. Golly gee... I could push it! Thought the wider ones would allow floatation..

Comment

It isnt a powered chair, other than by his arms. He just turned 30, so its not an old guy scooter we are talking about. It has to fit inside his house, and car, and allow him to get in and out without a hoist.

My other bud in Charleston SC is in the same condition, he plays basketball, tennis and has owned a modded WS6 TA that ran mid 11s, a Vette, and now a G35. His chairs are always beat up because he works the hell out of them. The wheels come off so he can fit them in the back of his car or the passenger seat.

These guys are active and they dont always have a van to get around. The really cool thing about both of them is the incredibly hot girlfriends they both have. Holy smokes. So it cant be something geared towards geriatrics, thing what you would have wanted to roll around in when you were 20 something and couldnt move your legs at all.

I dig the VW bus though, that thing is cool as hell. When, not if, I end up on one of those things due to my knees and crap, it will definitely get modded like that. Hell I might just build one I can use as a pit bike because walking around the pits at the strips I frequent is a hike that I cant do anymore.

Comment

Does he use an electric chair or manual? Seems like he'd need an electric but what do I know?

They make beach wheelchairs that we see around here. You might look them up just to see what's offered. Does he want more off-road access or does he stick with the pavement? All of this matters in the design. I'd think that lots of easily accessible storage (pockets, ammo box-type containers, etc.) would be useful although I sure don't know much about this.

Never mind the first paragraph. You posted while I was typing.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; April 12, 2013, 12:16 PM.

Comment

If it were me, I'd want one strong enough to hold 2 people. That way I could have my girl sit in my lap and wheel her around as opposed to her pushing me or walking beside me, unable to even hold hands. Not sure if standard ones handle that or not.
                          I'm probably wrong

Comment

I don't know how much freedom you have with this build but I'll say for aesthetics:

-custom seat padding and reupholstered in something cool (ex. diamond tuck or rolls and pleats)
                            -pinstriping on top of that nice paint you're going to lay down

More serious modifications:
                            -if the chair hasn't been tailored to your buddy's preferences, this would be a great opportunity to cut/weld if necessary or add something cool that would help your buddy out (ex. extra rack or hook)
                            -lighten it up if you can (speed holes? lol), my sister's mild steel folding wheel chair is nearly 30 lbs

Comment

This is my friend Art's. It's avaliable too!

Yes it has a running small block.....
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Dynoroom; April 12, 2013, 05:48 PM.
                              There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Working...
                              X