Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas for a hot rodded wheel chair.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is a standard type chair I would guess that it has alot to chrome and stainless. Start by blowing it apart and powdercoating all the parts in satin black. Add some hot rod accents from there. It should look out of place to the casual observer and wicked cool to a fellow gear head. Hats off to you for making the situation better!
    Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
    74 Nova Project
    66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
    79 Chevy Truck Project
    1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

You didn't say what brand of chair he got.
      But, if it's a Ti Sport they are available with many upgrades. Titanium frames, Carbon fiber axle tubes, CF seat and back pans, even carbon fiber wheels. Of course for a price.

Otherwise, paint, graphics, or custom upholstry is the way to go.
      An important thing to remember is that you don't want to make structural changes to the chair for liability reasons. Also any parts that are visually changed will need to be re-done when his mobility supplier needs to replace those components when they wear out or are damaged.

I repair mobility equipment for a living.
      Last edited by gearhead1218; April 13, 2013, 12:46 PM.
      sigpicJohn Castelli
      www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

Good all over you, Gearhead! THAT'S meaningful work!

Dan

Comment

Its tough to do much with tubing, do you know how to put down cobwebs? Its pretty easy if you can get automotive lacquer-just hold your gun back and spray it without thinning. I don't know if a LVHP gun will work but a pressure pot gun will.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
            Good all over you, Gearhead! THAT'S meaningful work!

Dan
            Thanks Dan. After getting burned out on Refrigeration repair for more than 25 years, I needed a change.
            I enjoy what I do, I'm not on call 24/7, and my weekends are MINE.
            sigpicJohn Castelli
            www.gonecruisincarclub.com

Comment

Paint, LED lights, custom cushion on a high-end titanium or carbon fiber racing chair. Like has been said, you can't add weight to it, because it will make him less mobile than he is now - however, buying him a super-light racing chair will increase his mobility and his ability to interact with the world.

And they are not cheap - so doing a fund-raiser with your talents might be a better way?

good on ya for what you're doing
              Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

My idea is stupid~ but, I always like to have a nice cup holder...
                That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                  If it is a standard wheelchair big wide tires are a bad idea, more rolling resistance = harder to push...

I have seen some hopped up chairs, custom wheels on them...Here are some bolt ons...

Here are some other ideas LOL!
                  http://www.buzzfeed.com/melismashabl...-my-wheelchair
                  I fit 16" 205 65 16's in the front of mine on 2k5 Mustang wheels with a 1" spacer, the 215's were too much. The back will take the 215 65 I think, which is a pretty good size tire for no more weight than you will be trying to keep glued.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Donovan View Post
                    an electric motor from this Mercedes.

or maybe two, one for each wheel, torque vectoring...no steer needed.
                    and Bonneville, or maybe the texas mile. Needs some room.
                    you jest, but a few years ago , i attended a fund raiser in alabama for a drag racer that was blinded in an accident and wanted to run at bonneville. there was two stipulations. one, he needed to get a drivers license, which they where able to get the state of alabama to issue to him , and then, he could only run at night...uuhhh, he's blind, so what.
                    it was a small 3 wheeled vehicle that set a record for class of 70+mph, but at least he had the balls to go do it
                    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by Thumpin455 View Post
                      It isnt a powered chair, other than by his arms. He just turned 30, so its not an old guy scooter we are talking about. It has to fit ins, his house, and car, and allow him to get in and out without a hoist.

My other bud in Charleston SC is in the same condition, he plays basketball, tennis and has owned a modded WS6 TA that ran mid 11s, a Vette, and now a G3His chairs are always beat up because he works the hell out of them. The wheels come off so he can fit them in the back of his car or the passenger seat.

These guys are active and they dont always have a van to get around. The really cool thing about both of them is the incredibly hot girlfriends they both have. Holy smokes. So it cant be something geared towards geriatrics, thing what you would have wanted to roll around in when you were 20 something and couldnt move your legs at all.

I dig the VW bus though, that thing is cool as hell. When, not if, I end up on one of those things due to my knees and crap, it will definitely get modded like that. Hell I might just build one I can use as a pit bike because walking around the pits at the strips I frequent is a hike that I cant do anymore.
                      i have a friend in a chair. his biggest concern is weight so he can lift it into his car . same as your friend, he's very active, makes no excuses, and is rough on them. paint, some sort of lite weight rims, maybe custom interior.
                      Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by LORENSWIFE View Post
                        My idea is stupid~ but, I always like to have a nice cup holder...
                        not stupid at all
                        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                          If it is a standard wheel chair big wide tires are a bad idea, more rolling resistance = harder to push...

I have seen some hopped up chairs, custom wheels on them...Here are some bolt ons...

http://www.customizedmobility.com/Cu...ED_Lights.html

Here are some other ideas LOL!
                          http://www.buzzfeed.com/melismashabl...-my-wheelchair/
                          well said.
                          Last edited by Roman Reigns; August 24, 2019, 11:29 AM.

Comment

There are couple of guys around here who are on the streets all the time. It seems they are confined to the wheel chairs. These things have what looks to be light weight canted wheels. They look to be the size of traditional wheel chair wheels. The chairs themselves look to be carbon fiber. These guys scoot right along whenever I see them. Oh the do have red flags that are on whips that are tall enough to be seen in traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                              Does he use an electric chair or manual? Seems like he'd need an best electric wheelchairs but what do I know?

They make beach wheelchairs that we see around here. You might look them up just to see what's offered. Does he want more off-road access or does he stick with the pavement? All of this matters in the design. I'd think that lots of easily accessible storage (pockets, ammo box-type containers, etc.) would be useful although I sure don't know much about this.

Never mind the first paragraph. You posted while I was typing.

Dan
                              Are electric wheelchairs covered by Medicare?

Comment

Working...
                              X