1968 Pontiac Firebird - $500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1968 Pontiac Firebird - $500

I finally inquired about this car today while out on patrol. I was somewhat shocked when the owner said "I don't know, maybe $500?" I realize it needs a full on frame up restoration, but that's nothing I haven't already done with a 69 Camaro, and hardly intimidating. It's got a running Pontiac 350 with TH350 trans, and unknown rear. Even if it were totally rotted out, I'd think for $500 it would make a great designated race car. So what do you think? Is it worth the $500?

I have a few more pictures and thoughts on my site. I have a helluva time posting pictures here, or I'd post the rest here.

1968 Pontiac Firebird - $500
    Last edited by Supersport350; April 15, 2013, 05:30 AM.
    Motor City Muscle

Hell yeah - Get the vin and you can check online to see if it shows up stolen. Also might want to take all the paperwork for a lost title application and get him to sign everything if he doesn't have the title. The title is worth 500.00 down here.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The guy said it has a clear title, and it's not stolen, as I started there first. I figured this would be a safe bet to post, unlike a salvage title Viper that brings out the pitch fork and torch folks. LOL
      Motor City Muscle

Comment

If it had been in my back yard, I'd have bought the damn viper and looked for a K CAR to put the drivetrain in... I understand the guys trying to impart wisdom and logic but I feel this way about it.

Before you can be old and wise, you pretty much have to be young and foolish.

Is it rusted to pieces? How close is a Dynacorn shell to working for a Firebird? Wait - they have one already.

Last edited by Beagle; April 15, 2013, 05:58 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

youre not a young sailor with no where to work on a car, nor are you going to put yourself into deep financial debt possibly runing your life for years to come on a 500 dollar purchase....but I digress

Go for it...500 bucks is a smoking deal. I have paid more for less.
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Dynacorn....yeah. A Chinese stamped fender? At the time, that was the only option for my Camaro. A full on Chinese body though? The Detroiter in me feels that goes well beyond Un-American. In fact, its borderline Commie Bastard in my book.
            Motor City Muscle

Comment

send it to michigan, i hear there is a guy up there who can turn rust into metal...like Jesus with a body hammer or some shit.
              If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Just uh, post that address up and I'll swing past there, and uhm, let you know if you should buy it or not....
                87 Mustang GT with bolt on's. Follow my build here:
                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...d-Budget-Build

Comment

I wouldn't confuse Taiwan w/ the PRC. Just a little matter of Communist Party vs. democratically elected leaders from a multi-party system.

I have no idea about the quality of the stampings or assembly, but they've been described to me as comparable to outer sources for non-OEM steel. In other words, not completely crappy, but probably not spectacular either.
                  "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

$500 seems like a good purchase to me.
                    Doesn't look bad for being out in the weather.
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

jesus with a body hammer and some young sailor ruining his life on a 500 dollar car.

is joe gay?

the firebird looks good, the zinc sucked the steel to the front. gm's asshole.

500 bucks on something that sells for way more. you could go 5 grand in and get ten back.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                        jesus with a body hammer and some young sailor ruining his life on a 500 dollar car.

is joe gay?

the firebird looks good, the zinc sucked the steel to the front. gm's asshole.

500 bucks on something that sells for way more. you could go 5 grand in and get ten back.
                        Step away form the crack pipe barry, step away from the crack pipe..

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                          Step away form the crack pipe barry, step away from the crack pipe..

however, I agree with Barry - 5k would net you a 10k car... that 500 car doesn't have rust moth holes in the normal places - so I suspect he really could do a good save and make a nice profit on the flip
                          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Go for it. Once you get the vin or secondary vin, if its not in the system you can contact NICB for any stolen info no matter how old the theft could have been. But most likely its a gem in the rough and would make a great restoration.
                            Life is too short to drive boring cars!

Comment

Keep or flip, the car is calling out my name and pleading....SAVE ME! That's how I aquired my 1970 Challenger R/T. Made me sick seeing such a car sitting outside uncovered year round here in Michigan. Did well on that car too, as I think I paid $6,800. Non numbers matching 383/4 speed car originally from Arizona. Sold it to my dad, at a slight loss after my money invested. Yet I am still doing the resto, on his dime, and will one day inherit it back....so not crying about that one.
                              Motor City Muscle

Comment

Working...
                              X