No announcement yet.

Boston Marathon/JFK Library

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the things that is so surreal about this for me relates to my past. My first job out of college was driving a truck delivering water for a company called Belmont Springs. I ran a route for a year and eventually moved into a couple of different management jobs before leaving the company and doing other stuff. At the time I was there, Belmont Springs provided all the water for the water stops and finish line of the Boston Marathon. For three years, I was in charge of coordinating the water at the finish line of the race.

I'd spend all day right in that area where the bombs exploded, either in the stands watching the elites come in, checking on the medical tent to make sure they had what they needed, filling the thousands of cups with volunteers and stacking them on a row oa tables in the middle of the street, or (admittedly) sneaking into the Westin across the road for a nice lunch and to rub elbows with some of the glitzy people that were at the race. It was the only thing I ever missed about that job. There is no way to describe what the city of Boston is like on Marathon day. The Sox play at 11am every year, the race is going on, the Bruins usually play that night. Bars are open early, Spring is finally breaking, the streets are filled with people, the smells of food, and it is one of the few times I ever really understood what it was like when people said a city felt "alive". It just did. It was fun and it was a day to celebrate people doing great things and pushing themselves to complete goals, raise money, click off an item on the bucket list, or just do something to say that they did it. It was about watching Dick Hoyt push his son across the finish line, worrying about if we'd have enough water on years where it was hot, keeping tabs on the drivers who were "captains" at the stations to make sure they weren't off chasing girls. Just a day I always loved.

I am bummed that this is going to be a mark on the historical record of this great, international event. There is a strong sentiment here about how attending next year is the right thing to do and I firmly believe that. Screw these bastards, I'm going.

I have always kept these (I have a stack...lol) because they are reminders of good days. I still see those good days in them and those are memories I need today.
    Attached Files
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Amen
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Shit always hit harder when it's personalized.
        We can not give in.. If we do.. What is there?
        These were blasts heard round the world..
        Something is gonna change, no doubt!
        What? That remains to be seen..
        Brian, hang on to the good times.. They are what we remember sitting in our rocking chairs...or so I'm told !

Comment

It's human nature for events of unspeakable inhumanity to become more "real" to us when they occur in places we're connected to or among people we've met. Conversely, it is easier to ignore them when they occur in distant lands among unfamiliar victims.

That doesn't lessen the depraved evil that is at the heart of all such cowardly attacks. There's nothing that we can write here that ameliorates or even assuages the tragic suffering of the Boston victims and their community.

Thankfully, only a tiny fraction of the World's population ever suffers such an involuntary criminal destruction of life and limb. Even then, such horrendous events are all too frequent. Yet we still live in an age marked by freedom, opportunity, and relative safety in our little corner of the World.

While most of us have to put up with the irritating, inconvenient intrusions and restrictions on liberty that accompany this modern age, the overwhelming majority of us are not likely ever at actual risk. And for that we're thankful, even as we extend our thoughts and prayers to those who involuntarily sacrificed "the last full measure" of life and liberty -- without warning -- at the fetid hands of bomb-wielding, ignoble, cowardly dogs.

Comment

speaking from defensive point of view. I was in basic training/tech school in the early 90s when they tried to bomb the towers the first time. A lot of defensive things to do today easier than ever. the cameras.

all the thoughts to take an event like that analyze and conquer is easier than ever.

set the proper date/time on your digital camera.

this will not take long.

I was just reading about pressure cookers. they found that to be the same in the Pakistani war zone area.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 16, 2013, 01:23 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This photo is very disturbing to me, the bag with the bomb is on the security side of the fence and nobody thought to check it out...... I feel just a little awareness could have stopped the whole thing...... So disturbing.........

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                It's human nature for events of unspeakable inhumanity to become more "real" to us when they occur in places we're connected to or among people we've met. Conversely, it is easier to ignore them when they occur in distant lands among unfamiliar victims.

That doesn't lessen the depraved evil that is at the heart of all such cowardly attacks. There's nothing that we can write here that ameliorates or even assuages the tragic suffering of the Boston victims and their community.

Thankfully, only a tiny fraction of the World's population ever suffers such an involuntary criminal destruction of life and limb. Even then, such horrendous events are all too frequent. Yet we still live in an age marked by freedom, opportunity, and relative safety in our little corner of the World.

While most of us have to put up with the irritating, inconvenient intrusions and restrictions on liberty that accompany this modern age, the overwhelming majority of us are not likely ever at actual risk. And for that we're thankful, even as we extend our thoughts and prayers to those who involuntarily sacrificed "the last full measure" of life and liberty -- without warning -- at the fetid hands of bomb-wielding, ignoble, cowardly dogs.
                I was proud of you for a thoughtful and well-written entry - right up until the last word.

I'm a huge dog lover and the truth is that dogs, unless rabid, DO NOT act like this. This depravity takes a human. In the animal kingdom a pack member that acts like this or even seems like it will act like this is either run out of the pack or euthanized. The pack will not tolerate anything approching this kind of behaviour. So let's choose our examples a bit more carefully - I like "rabid bastard". Sorry for the rant.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post
                  This photo is very disturbing to me, the bag with the bomb is on the security side of the fence and nobody thought to check it out...... I feel just a little awareness could have stopped the whole thing...... So disturbing.........

Have they determined that bag was it? I thought it was only speculation so far. I thought I saw an "after" shot and the mailbox was fine
                  Last edited by groucho; April 16, 2013, 07:51 PM.
                  STUGOTS

Comment

Originally posted by groucho View Post
                    Have they determined that bag was it? I thought it was only speculation so far. I thought I saw an "after" shot and the mailbox was fine
                    Yeah........also heard they suspected back packs.
                    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Yes, out of respect I didn't post the after pic....... Though if you know of the pic, look at the fence it is blown back into the crowd, if the bomb would have been on the other side the fence it would have blown the fence into the street.....
                      Last edited by TC; April 16, 2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TC View Post

The origin of the blast I saw over and over again on TV looked a LOT further back from the curb from where that bag is sitting
                        Last edited by groucho; April 16, 2013, 11:06 PM.
                        STUGOTS

Comment

The first explosion was from the sidewalk near the building. Not sure about the second. I have seen photos of people getting hauled by wheel chair to medical help on wheel chairs with legs blown off, muscle and flesh hanging off exposed bone. Very chilling.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The origin of the blast I saw over and over again on TV looked a LOT further back from the curb from where that bag is sitting
                            As does the smoke from the 2nd blast..
                            Both look to me to have been behind the spectators
                            They sure show those shots alot!

Comment

Looks like they've got a suspect...

There's video of him sitting down a backpack and then making a call right as the first bomb went off....
                              87 Mustang GT with bolt on's. Follow my build here:
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...d-Budget-Build

Comment

Now CNN reporting that FBI says no arrest made. Looks like they went on a shoddy vague tip.
                                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                                X