Plumbing Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plumbing Question

I used to be a plumber apprentice a long time ago, so I'm not a complete idiot on the topic, but I have a question. Is there any trick way to unglue PVC pipe joints? I have to move a closet flange as the bozo who roughed it or the bozo who framed the wall missed the mark. It's 8" to the RO. Somehow, the builder found a 8" toilet (Mansfield) but it doesn't flush with much authority. So I need to install an offset closet flange so I can use a standard 10" toilet, which gives much better options for one that will work better. Anyhow, it's been glued up for some time (the house was built in '99) and I haven't had much luck getting the joint to come apart.

Lacking some way to do that, maybe I can reach inside the pipe (3") with a cutoff wheel on the die grinder and chop it below the flange, but this will necessitate a much bigger hole in the concrete. Hoping one of you have a magic trick that will make this easier.

Thanks
    Dan

Re: Plumbing Question

they make inside glue and outside glue .if it is out side you could cut it off close to the top then use offset inside glue. if you can get to the glue joint use acetone to try and soften it up, also use controlled (read propane torch \heat gun not rose bud)heat before trying solvent that might work i have seen pvc air compressure lines blow apart at glue joints when to close to compressure from heat

<<<<<<<use this if all else fails LOL

Comment

try this

Comment

Basically, it's come to that. After trying a bunch of things, I have resorted to the air chisel and brute force. Cutting from the inside with the die grinder worked OK, but I had to chip the concrete away to get the stub to pull out. I'm now in the process of trashing ME's bathroom to get access to the pipe stub, which was imbedded in concrete right up to the hub. I'll finish digging tomorrow and then glue up a coupling and go from there. The old glue was, I think, too old to let go anymore. The damn thing was welded together, just like it was supposed to be!

Thanks for the ideas.

Dan

Comment

Well shit, that sounds like a crappy situation you got there Dan....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
            they make inside glue and outside glue .if it is out side you could cut it off close to the top then use offset inside glue. if you can get to the glue joint use acetone to try and soften it up, also use controlled (read propane torch \heat gun not rose bud)heat before trying solvent that might work i have seen pvc air compressure lines blow apart at glue joints when to close to compressure from heat

I've pretty much liad down my hill billy hammer. But that sawzall I couldn't live w/o .Thats how I'd take it apart. Then just glue on what you need from new parts!

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
              Originally posted by fabricatordave

I've pretty much laid down my hill billy hammer. But that sawzall I couldn't live w/o .Thats how I'd take it apart. Then just glue on what you need from new parts!
              at work every body calls it the ford hammer( 16 lb sledge)with 18 inch handle also works great on ball joints

Comment

Dan - you've just reiterated my reasons for hating houses on slabs.... YUCK!

I hope you were able to remove the concrete and relocate the closet flange appropriately.

I've never even attempted to 'unglue' PVC - just cut it out and start over.

Sounds like you and I are in about the same boat --- working on the house instead of our cars! BOO!

I'm nearing the end of a total kitchen remodel -- I'm having a hekofa time finding someone to cut the granite slabs we purchased at a builders auction.... anyone have any ideas?
                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I guess things are different on the east coast, we have to use ABS (not PVC) for sewer plumbing around here.

And in case anyone is wondering why I'm just laughing about this whole thing, it's because I already went thru all this crap on my house, I rented an electric jackhammer to help me move the toilet drain plumbing.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I'm using the air chisel, with a line run from the shop to the house. I have an excuse to take a break today - one of ME's students is in a production of South Pacific at our local semi-pro theater, so I need to stay clean (Google for Thalian Hall). But I'll jump back on it tomorrow. Yeah, slab houses suck, but they are good here - they stay in place pretty well in a hurricane. Can't have a basement (damn it) because the water table is too high.

Jim - it's PVC here. I've never had to work with ABS, but never had an issue with PVC - don't know why they want ABS in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Dan

Comment

You can always use Dynomite, and then go fishing later.

Comment

Your probably done by now but I have found it to be much easier to bust the concrete, make the repair and patch the concrete. Every PVC job I have done has been a complete bond of the two PVC components. Busting the concrete only sounds scary until you have done it a time or two.

Comment

That's what I did. I was just hoping......

Dan

Comment

Working...
                          X