Vintage Race Car Haulers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Race Car Haulers

I thought at one time we had a thread like this but I couldn't find it so here goes. I've always been fascinated (that doesn't take much) by the means Racers use to transport their Hot Rods to and from the track. I'm guessing that some of these pictures were taken in the 70's, as you look at these pictures check out the way Jenkins and Landy transported their Pro Stockers, now days everybody has a Semi or two with a Stacker Transporter complete with a shop and a complete inventory of spares!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Grumpy; April 16, 2013, 11:15 AM.
    sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

need more security now
    Ronald Lyles' truck driver was Randy Dorton ..Later head of the engine department at Hendrick Motorsports

Comment

I remember when ANY trailer was "pro" stuff. A ramp truck was pretty much top of the line. It's hard for me to understand that my truck and open trailer are entry-level.

Dan

Comment

You don't see many pics of the more commonly used methods....such as a clamp on bumper hitch on the tow car, and a clamp on A bar hitch on the race car. and the rear U joint was disconnected, and the driveshaft wired up out of the way.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          You don't see many pics of the more commonly used methods....such as a clamp on bumper hitch on the tow car, and a clamp on A bar hitch on the race car. and the rear U joint was disconnected, and the driveshaft wired up out of the way.

That's the way I started out, flat towing with brackets welded under the bumper and disconnect the driveshaft while the rear end was jacked up so you could take the slicks off and put the street tires back on for the long tow home, yep been there and done that many times!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Grumpy; April 16, 2013, 11:37 AM.
          sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Pure greatness there.

Love the flat tow set up on that '57 - simpler times - back when cars had steel bumpers and the average family sedan could actually tow something it's own size without self destructing.
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I love those old dodge crew cabs. Same doors on the back as on the front.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Ramp truck nirvana.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Here's one from our local drag strip in 1967.

Strip still had flag starts and Mr. Bardahl was a big deal.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

someone needs to buy my bus and make it a hauler....

Comment

Don't look at me... I can borrow my brothers WamBambualance any time I need.

Comment

Here is one I have been adding pics to for 5 years

over 1200 ramp trucks , haulers .etc

sigpic

Comment

and this one I've been adding pics to for 4 + years

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            that was common practice for the guys that raced at the local dirt track where I grew up in missouri, i use to go down to the guy down the street and watch him doing on saturday afternoons before heading to the track
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

With all the fancy rigs that show up now, my 39' 1988 LTD triple axle tag looks like and antique! But Ol' Blue as she's called still getting it done after 25 years!

Comment

Working...
                              X