Boiled Peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiled Peanuts

Being raised on them and sometimes sustained by them, it's strange to me that a lot of folks say that being able to eat boiled peanuts is "an acquired taste" for lots of folks. Like raw oysters or something.

You can get BP's at all kinds of road stops in the South. Sometimes in little brown paper bags on the counter at the checkout, sometimes dipped out of the pot still hot from cooking on a propane burner in the NC mountains.

I've tried em all and strangely enough it's hard to beat the Peanut Patch brand in the can. I'll bet you can't get those where you are, wherever you are unless you're around here.

You throw those in the micro for about a minute and a half in a plastic bowl, and pig out.

So the last time I went to the big store, I scoffed up a couple of cans of them. I kinda noticed that the label was red instead of green. No big deal, my eyes ain't what they used to be.

Well, those red ones are different. CAJUN. Never even saw those on the shelf before but I brought them home. Tore the lid off of a can tonight and noticed that the juice was not the right color at all. It's red. Hmmm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cajun BP's.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	879979

Cajun.

Nasty. Real bad. Had to eat a frozen Klondike bar on top of beer to get the taste out of my mouth. Big, bad surprise at Weeville.

Okay, back to the news. Don't get the Cajun ones.

But boiled peanuts - is it really an acquired taste?
    Last edited by pdub; April 16, 2013, 05:50 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

What the hell is this? I like peanuts Id probably like em but you have to put em in the microwave? So hot nuts? Are they sweet? LOL! No seriously, juice in peanuts? Please explain further.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
      What the hell is this? I like peanuts Id probably like em but you have to put em in the microwave? So hot nuts? Are they sweet? LOL! No seriously, juice in peanuts? Please explain further.
      BOILED PEANUTS. Boiled for days or pressure cooked for hours. Boiled peanuts. In the shell.

Comment

It wasn't for me. I enjoyed them the first time I had them. I think I like them better than roasted peanuts.

Stopping at a roadside stand and buying a bag of boiled peanuts is the only way I've ever done it... there's just something about it that feels like that's the right way to do it.

topic shift - I think it's Gander Mountain that sells deep fried peanuts...you eat the shell and all... that was something that I had to acquire a taste for.

Comment

Do they have them in Florida? Next time Im down there I'll try em.

Comment

Yeah, look for an old man sitting next to a kettle on the side of the road with a hand made sign. If you get into central Florida or away from the cities you'll see guys selling them everywhere.
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Best place to find them and real BBQ ..follow your nose down a quiet country road
              sigpic

Comment

seems to defy nature of them.

finishing them with deep roasted even keeps elephants happy.

I'd try it though.. I cook everything, wander off on my own addons to classic stuff.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Peewee, you're right about an acquired taste. I haven't acquired the taste yet. But I do love the peanuts from what's that place, Auntie's? Stopped in there a few years back, we order peanuts from them, everybody loves 'em!
                  Tom
                  Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
                    Peewee, you're right about an acquired taste. I haven't acquired the taste yet. But I do love the peanuts from what's that place, Auntie's? Stopped in there a few years back, we order peanuts from them, everybody loves 'em!
                    Where's Auntie's?

Comment

I love peanuts about every way you can get 'em.....roasted, raw, salted in the can, converted to peanut butter........but I cannot eat them boiled. Just don't like 'em fixed that way. Kinda like grits......they just don't turn my crank.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                        I love peanuts about every way you can get 'em.....roasted, raw, salted in the can, converted to peanut butter........but I cannot eat them boiled. Just don't like 'em fixed that way. Kinda like grits......they just don't turn my crank.
                        Mighty glad you survived Ed. Mighty glad. Glad you did.

So we won't have boiled peanuts on the menu in June. We'll have to adjust.....
                        Last edited by pdub; April 16, 2013, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Hm - never tried them. I'll try just about anything once (never say that in Japan)

However - the stories I've heard from military folks about boiled bacon? NO, that one breaks the rules - that's just plain wrong.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Boiled peanuts? Hell Yeah! I grew up in South Carolina, so we used to buy those at country stores or gas stations. Can't get those here in California.

Comment

Love em! Never had them out of a can always seemed wrong.
                              http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                              1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Working...
                              X