No announcement yet.

Boiled Peanuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with Ed. Still too much of a Yankee for grits or boiled peanuts. Some things ain't right......

Dan

Comment

I've never heard of such a thing! Are they soft and mushy? Do they taste different?

Comment

BOILED PEANUTS. Boiled for days or pressure cooked for hours. Boiled peanuts. In the shell.
        My Dad bought some when he was stationed in Savannah.
        Eat too many of them.... you get the trots.
        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          Hm - never tried them. I'll try just about anything once (never say that in Japan)

However - the stories I've heard from military folks about boiled bacon? NO, that one breaks the rules - that's just plain wrong.
          Bacon in soup is boiled....

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
            I've never heard of such a thing! Are they soft and mushy? Do they taste different?
            Yes they are soft, I would say they taste diffrent that dried or rosted.

Pea nuts are a legume or type of bean they are not nuts.
            http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
            1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
            ​​​​​​

Comment

While I was stationed in Charleston SC I saw the stands everywhere, but I didnt stop. Mostly I figured if the person in the stand or in the lawn chair next to the boiling pot didnt have any teeth, then there might be a reason not to eat boiled peanuts.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                BALD PEANUTS. Boiled for days or pressure cooked for hours. Boiled peanuts. In the shell.
                Fixed it for you, PeeWee.

Pronunciation, like grammer matters.
                "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

No, it's pronounced more like BOWLED. ;)

Comment

is it an aquired taste...I would say so.I tried them...nasty, nasty things...yuck...gross, like crunchy, slimy snot...you can have 'em.
                    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                      is it an aquired taste...I would say so.I tried them...nasty, nasty things...yuck...gross, like crunchy, slimy snot...you can have 'em.
                      I liked the frist one I ate! Someone said somthing about grits, I like them but not plain you have to add something, butter, salt, sugar, cheese. The thing i dont under stand is you go out to eat and they want to charge you an arm and a leg for shrimp and grits, its just shrimp and grits!
                      Last edited by Russell; April 17, 2013, 09:30 AM.

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                        I liked the frist one I ate! Someone said somthing about grits, I like them but not plain you have to add something, butter, salt, sugar, cheese. The thing i dont under stand is you go out to eat and they want to charge you an arm and a leg for shrimp and grits, its just shrimp and grits!
                        Right? and dont tell anyone from the south you like anything but salt or butter on your grits....that will bring out a lynch mob.

Me, I like em...with butter and sugar...thats right southerners...I said it...SUGAR IN MY GRITS LMAO!

food is funny, like politics...it brings out the best and worst in people...
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Interesting thread......never heard of boiled peanuts. I'd be afraid to try them as, though I love peanuts, they don't love me much anymore.

Are grits supposed to taste like mushy cardboard? I'm honestly curious. I have only tried them 3 times over the years - and at chain restaurants at that, so perhaps the restaurants didn't do them justice?
                          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

chains are going to use intant or premade crap..you gotta go to a little mom and pop in the south to get decent grits....There is a joint nearby that makes a good bowl, I always get them as a side to my omlette....

Grits taste like ground up corn, hominy...To me they are bland, but so is oatmeal....I add bananas and brown sugar to my morning bowl of oats...Grits need some love too be tasty.

Comment

I would bet the the little mom and pop place add a bunch of bacon grease. Yes like oatmeal its not worth eating plan, ever tried plan cream of wheat?

PB 60' 1.49
                              ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                                Grits taste like ground up corn, hominy...To me they are bland, but so is oatmeal....I add bananas and brown sugar to my morning bowl of oats...Grits need some love too be tasty.
                                Hominy - I'm sure I've typed this story here quite a while back, but I'd never even heard of hominy until I was on my longest bicycle trip and stopped in a backwoods restaurant in Missouri. I said I wanted three egss scrambled with bacon. The waitress asked, "Hominy?"

I held up three fingers and answered, "Three." She rolled her eyes at yet another lost tourist, this time pedaling two wheels.

So, hominy. Couldn't stand it. The same stuff as grits I guess but instead of ground up, it's big marbles that pop and get bigger when you chomp down on them. Nossir, didn't like it at all.
                                Last edited by pdub; April 17, 2013, 12:37 PM.
                                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                                X