No announcement yet.

so what car do you want today ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

same as every other day...The photo of this tripple black beauty came from our pal Scott, who tourtures me regularly with pics of what he knows to be my dream car. Its funny but I just NEVER see these around here...he comes across them all the time...

Visually I would not change a thing except for some widened poncho wheels with bigger meat out back...otherwise this is as perfect as it gets for me.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
      The endurance racing headlamp covers SCREAM Mulsanne Straight . . . Spa . . . Daytona! Don't you DARE touch 'em!
      the more I look the more they grow on me....
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I really want a Lada, any Lada, but preferably a Niva
        Rumors of my demise by rollover have been greatly exaggerated.

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
          same as every other day...The photo of this tripple black beauty came from our pal Scott, who tourtures me regularly with pics of what he knows to be my dream car. Its funny but I just NEVER see these around here...he comes across them all the time...

Visually I would not change a thing except for some widened poncho wheels with bigger meat out back...otherwise this is as perfect as it gets for me.

That's a '70 . . .

I've owned a '69 Grand Prix SJ since 1981 . . . another neglected garage refugee. 72,XXX miles . . . 370-horse 428 with a few easily reversible bolt-ons . . . dead factory paint . . . a wrinkled passenger door courtesy of the first Mrs. Outsider (She's a Prius driver . . . that says it all) . . . last licensed in 1987 . . . .

It's not nice enough to show . . .

it's too heavy and not quick enough to race (cast iron rods are the Achilles heel of the REAL poncho mill) . . .

The compression with the iron D-port heads means you have to retard the timing too much for today's weak tea pump gas for cruising . . .

10-12 m.p.g. means the gasoline stops were too frequent . . .

It's still not worth enough for a pure frame-off resto . . .

And nearly all of the muscle car snobs don't recognize it as a true '60s muscle car, anyhow . . . .

Still, DeLorean's '69 Grand Prix was the first of the low-priced neo-classic coupes. And perhaps the styling is over-the-top in retrospect, but it was gorgeous back in the day. And one whale of a good wrapper for a "Gentlemens' GTO."

But if anything I own ever tempts me to seriously fly the GM flag again, it's my old Grand Prix . . . even more so than the Biscayne . . . .

Comment

That's a '70 . . .

I've owned a '69 Grand Prix SJ since 1981 . . . another neglected garage refugee. 72,XXX miles . . . 370-horse 428 with a few easily reversible bolt-ons . . . dead factory paint . . . a wrinkled passenger door courtesy of the first Mrs. Outsider (She's a Prius driver . . . that says it all) . . . last licensed in 1987 . . . .

It's not nice enough to show . . .

it's too heavy and not quick enough to race (cast iron rods are the Achilles heel of the REAL poncho mill) . . .

The compression with the iron D-port heads means you have to retard the timing too much for today's weak tea pump gas for cruising . . .

10-12 m.p.g. means the gasoline stops were too frequent . . .

It's still not worth enough for a pure frame-off resto . . .

And nearly all of the muscle car snobs don't recognize it as a true '60s muscle car, anyhow . . . .

Still, DeLorean's '69 Grand Prix was the first of the low-priced neo-classic coupes. And perhaps the styling is over-the-top in retrospect, but it was gorgeous back in the day. And one whale of a good wrapper for a "Gentlemens' GTO."

But if anything I own ever tempts me to seriously fly the GM flag again, it's my old Grand Prix . . . even more so than the Biscayne . . . .
            well, if you ever tire of it...I will be more than happy to give it a good home....

Comment

well, if you ever tire of it...I will be more than happy to give it a good home....
              I'm sure they'll auction it at my estate sale (shaking their heads about all the weird crap I held on to and never got around to fixing up) . . . or the IRS will seize it if I have too many more tax years like 2012!

Comment

Driving that beauty is like driving a Cadillac with a 4-speed.

455 HO, hood tach, 12-bolt BOP posi ... ah, the memories!

I had one like that a few years back that eventually went to a buyer in Florida who had to have it more than I did. Since I had a bunch of GTOs at the time, the GP was kinda the odd Poncho in the herd. But the back seat was like a queen sized bed and the wrap-around dash was (IMHO) far nicer than the GTO dash.

Good pic ... thanks for that!

Comment

(" When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things . . . .")
                  The brand bashing is rather childish....but if you can get over that, one day you might be a man.
                  Last edited by squirrel; April 17, 2013, 01:28 PM.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I changed my mind, now I want this:

Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by OHC 6 Sprint View Post
                      Driving that beauty is like driving a Cadillac with a 4-speed.

455 HO, hood tach, 12-bolt BOP posi ... ah, the memories!

I had one like that a few years back that eventually went to a buyer in Florida who had to have it more than I did. Since I had a bunch of GTOs at the time, the GP was kinda the odd Poncho in the herd. But the back seat was like a queen sized bed and the wrap-around dash was (IMHO) far nicer than the GTO dash.

Good pic ... thanks for that!
                      Mine just has a ten-bolt Saf-t-Track because it's a TH400.

But it's been sitting for the past twenty-eight years on a corporate 10-bolt instead of the OEM BOP. An axle bearing munched and lightly scored one of the axle shafts. No biggie. But because of my grad school/work schedule, the weather and having no place to work, I had to have it towed to a garage.

The garage guys lied, said it wasn't fixable, and installed a cheap, open A-body axle from a salvage. But I demanded my original parts and they angrily charged me a $25 core for return of my original limited-slip axle (they were planning on stealing it for one of their project cars) . . . it's been out of the car ever since. But I've still got it . . . .
                      Last edited by 38P; April 17, 2013, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Of coarse there's no phone number...

Comment

LS1/T56 "570Z"

"First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

1969 Impala Custom 427 4 speed I have only seen 1 in person...
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Love the hidden headlamps and the fender skirts (always wondered if the bean counters killed 'em for the '69 GP)

Comment

Papa Outsider (RIP) had a junky '68 Caprice with a 325-horse 396 and a four-speed . . . strange combo. Title erroneously called it a "Caprice SS." He scored it cheap from a dude who couldn't pay his rent in a slummy apartment complex.

I strongly suspect the Rat and Muncie ended up in a Gen I Camaro and the balance got crushed by the clueless guys we sold it to in the estate liquidation. A likely sad fate for an assembly-line oddity.

Comment

Working...
                                X