zenos dichotomy paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zenos dichotomy paradox

it is funny if you do not catch on before the end.
    to me, he simply created a resolution scale.

they did not mention that it took more time to identify the increasing resolution...instead of just opening the choke and walking full draft.

another paradox.. if it appears as one. why have a resolution...like fractal geometry. that is a disease.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Clearly Zeno had WAY too much time on his hands. If he just got out in the shop and spent time working on his chariot he wouldn't have troubled his mind with such silliness.

Dan

Comment

Oy, boxer you're killing me here. I usually visit BangShift to run away from this stuff! haha

I spend all day having this pounded into my head at school. Namely calculus, series solutions and all sorts of "fun" math. Sure, they're all interesting tools but they only become interesting to me when applied to something physical.

I came across Zeno once in a philosophy course, I'm with Dan - I'd rather be wrenching than trying to digest some of that stuff!
      Last edited by Darren N.; April 18, 2013, 11:42 AM.

Comment

I am a victim of 3rd grade Catholic School math so I probably won't open the video, that stuff just makes my head hurt!
        That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Well.....it kind of shows why if you're sitting around thinking, it may be less comfusing to just sit around and not think.

The only "paradox" I'm real familiar with is the Abilene Paradox. It's a word story used a lot for training, and it can't get boiled down any farther than this - from Wiki:

On a hot afternoon visiting in Coleman, Texas, the family is comfortably playing dominoes on a porch, until the father-in-law suggests that they take a trip to Abilene [53 miles north] for dinner. The wife says, "Sounds like a great idea." The husband, despite having reservations because the drive is long and hot, thinks that his preferences must be out-of-step with the group and says, "Sounds good to me. I just hope your mother wants to go." The mother-in-law then says, "Of course I want to go. I haven't been to Abilene in a long time." The drive is hot, dusty, and long. When they arrive at the cafeteria, the food is as bad as the drive. They arrive back home four hours later, exhausted.
          One of them dishonestly says, "It was a great trip, wasn't it?" The mother-in-law says that, actually, she would rather have stayed home, but went along since the other three were so enthusiastic. The husband says, "I wasn't delighted to be doing what we were doing. I only went to satisfy the rest of you." The wife says, "I just went along to keep you happy. I would have had to be crazy to want to go out in the heat like that." The father-in-law then says that he only suggested it because he thought the others might be bored.
          The group sits back, perplexed that they together decided to take a trip which none of them wanted. They each would have preferred to sit comfortably, but did not admit to it when they still had time to enjoy the afternoon.
          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Paradox........owning two pairs of Dockers at one time
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
              Paradox........owning two pairs of Dockers at one time
              HAH!!!!!
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

That is a very confusing way to figure out that it takes ol' Zeno an hour to walk one mile. Conclusion: Zeno is obese (he must be since he walks that slow).
                The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by Schtauffer View Post
                  That is a very confusing way to figure out that it takes ol' Zeno an hour to walk one mile. Conclusion: Zeno is obese (he must be since he walks that slow).
                  I am obese.. I waddle faster than 1 mph..

Comment

Working...
                  X