Any tips for first autocross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips for first autocross?

I am going to my first autocross next sunday, I am taking my 13 Mustang gt. A friend is being a man and taking his 71 camaro. Any tips?

1. HAVE A BLAST!

2:

do you have a spare set of wheels and tires? How good are the brakes?

If you're running stock everything - I would put it in first or second gear and leave it there at least your first lap or two, don't worry about shifting.

You MAY find lowering your tire pressure a few psi is helpful - but don't go crazy with it - as you may end up rolling a tire far enough to break the bead or mess up a rim.
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

It is all stock but, but has the track with the brembo brakes and 19" wheels and Pzero tires (7,500 or so miles).

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson View Post
        It is all stock but, but has the track with the brembo brakes and 19" wheels and Pzero tires (7,500 or so miles).
        I did autocross one single time when I was a kid in the 65 VW bug with major HP and recap tires and no brakes to speak of. That was a cone killing expedition but it was fun.

I can't WAIT to hear about this in the rig you've got. Yeah, I need to get addicted to something else by encouragement. Land speed's okay, runnng on a big road course is life-changing addictive.....uh-oh - autocross? I simply can't wait to hear how much fun that is with a ride that will do it.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Interesting about the tire pressure...my wife was advised to bring the pressure way up to help prevent rounding off the corners of the tires (street tires).

I'm planning to go to an autocross soon, possibly in a couple weeks, I've been too busy for the past several months.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Go fast.
            Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
            1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
            1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
            1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
            1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
            1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

treat it like a rwd on a winter travel.
              little deflate in the back, suspension in control.

some make their cars slide like a drifter. I never did figure if that was a gain or showing off.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

1st gear, straight brake, dont look at the gauge cluster, be smooth. Slow is fast. Dont over brake or brake late. Set up for the corner and drive through.

Comment

Let half the air out of your buddys rear tires.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                    Let half the air out of your buddys rear tires.
                    I can already tell that I shouldn't try autocross, because if I let the air out of the tires for scientific/strategic purposes, there I'd be with half-flat tires for the drive down the interstate back home. I have a bicycle pump....and no upper body stamina. Have you ever tried to pump up a car tire with a bicycle pump?
                    Last edited by pdub; April 22, 2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

They sell little 12v compressors for twenty bucks...
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        They sell little 12v compressors for twenty bucks...
                        I bought a fancy one that plugs in the wall with like a two-gallon tank at Tony Depot for about 80 bucks and it leaks a seive. It won't hold pressure, it won't even MAKE pressue. Made in China.

Never mind, didn't mean to derail Shawn's thread. Sorry Shawn. Keep us informed, blow-by-blow. I wanna know. Autocross.
                        Last edited by pdub; April 22, 2013, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                          I bought a fancy one that plugs in the wall with like a two-gallon tank at Tony Depot for about 80 bucks and it leaks a seive. It won't hold pressure, it won't even MAKE pressue. Made in China.

Never mind, didn't mean to derail Shawn's thread. Sorry Shawn. Keep us informed, blow-by-blow. I wanna know. Autocross.
                          No harm, no derail

I hope to take some video

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson View Post
                            No harm, no derail

I hope to take some video
                            Oh please oh please do. In car, out of car. Yeah.

Comment

Shawn I wouldn't go below 28psi - and you may in fact find that you do best with 35 or 36 - and since it's your first time out - I'll shut up - just run the tire pressure where the sticker on the door jamb says to - I'll shut up now.

HAVE FUN!
                              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X