Any tips for first autocross?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

this stuff makes me curious.

I avoided a snowcross because the guy said I'd just simply win with a lo and high range AWD.

one thing I fell inlove with is camber. no battles. the car feels more of a mover, because it is digging in.

the v8 cars, no one mentioned one turn being faster than another. Like a left one prone to spin and a right one digs in.

ford and gm swapped all around which model goes in what direction, every car is different. I used to learn everything I bought..no autocross, I guess it was my own version, empty lot.

this is a dream:

Last edited by Barry Donovan; April 25, 2013, 03:15 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by >>>>head View Post
      seems the Arizona junkies like to include 'fail' markers, that fire hydrant on the course / near the finish line is scary, or maybe I just don't have 'right sized' cojones to run with the big dogs in the Grand Canyon state
      Truth: This is the parking lot of Local Motors in Chandler. The actual end of the autocross is at the dirt berm, after the left sweeper, with a full stop.

Reality: I wasn't there for the autocross, but to lead a Production and Operations field trip. I just happened to stumble onto an autocross. Some of my later practice laps had me in full drift around the dirt and snapping it back just before the hydrant. One of them I drove away from thanking EBC for making good brakes, 'cause it looked damn close from where I was...
      Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Bryan I don't think that (hitting a hydrant) would be like in the cartoons or the movies, like you just drive away and keep going and there's a huge plume of water in the air. I do belive both of those Hollywood visuals are lies.

I can hardly wait to sling Red around. I wanna read/see Shawn's account ahead of that. Lots to be learned.
        Last edited by pdub; April 25, 2013, 04:52 PM.
        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I was just getting carried away...Throwing the Mach sideways was just an absolute riot, very intoxicating.
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Originally posted by Remy-Z View Post
            I was just getting carried away...Throwing the Mach sideways was just an absolute riot, very intoxicating.
            I've got the setup to do it. Maybe not well, but to do it. After so many years, now in a nearly-capable car.

I'm waiting on Shawn. Shawn, over? Come in Shawn....Hello Shawn......gotta have a report when it's done.

Comment

Thanks guys, washing the ride tomorrow and race sunday!

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn Anderson View Post
                Thanks guys, washing the ride tomorrow and race sunday!
                Break a wheel off man, and have fun and let us know!

Comment

First off sorry to say there was some tech problems with my replay xd cam, so the video did not work out. On a good run this stuff is way fun! Much harder than I thought it woud be (or I am just a crapy driver). I screwed up the course the first 2 times (but even the guy that made the course did so on his first run). Riding with a good driver is sick! Enjoyed working the course also. What I like is my car can go faster without buying any parts just me getting better as a driver.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not just you Shawn, autocross is WAY tougher than it looks to go quickly. I did it for a few years in the regional series, got to the point where I was at least mediocre at it. Always found road course stuff easier, mostly because you have more time to think about it!

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, most people do for sure.

cheers
                    Ed
                    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                    X