RIP Richie Havens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Richie Havens

Missed the opportunity to see him at Woodstock...I was stationed in Davisville, RI not far away. Couple of my buddies went.
    They were 2 days AWOL getting back.

His song 'Freedom' was epic.....and was mostly improvised. He played for almost two hours.

Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

RIP Richie. It's hard to make that much "noise" playing acoustic wood (that video), but he sure pulled it off. And the vocal. Yep, amazing.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I guess my parents were there.

that song ended, heard a shreak like a cat getting beaten. looked outside and there is two cats fighting for real in the middle of the road. when the heck does that happen?

seems they are always playing.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

not my style
        but rest in peace

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
          not my style
          but rest in peace
          Not my style either Spidey, but from trying to make noise with strings for a little while, it's easy to realize one's own limitations when you hear somebody who can actually do it. Richie had it going, sure enough. Like it or embrace it or not, that man had it going, all those years ago in that one video.

Truly amazing, the Woodstock thing - who all was there performing.....historic. And by all accounts most everybody there was too whacked out on drugs to remember it (probably the performing musicians, too). Fortunately, there was film of it. That was epic, and it still is.
          Last edited by pdub; April 22, 2013, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Santana was another Woodstock performer who put on one helluva show.....again improvised.
            It was the best of times & the worst.
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Crosby Stills and Nash - the immortal quote: something like, "We've never played out before. We're scared shitless."

Comment

I can tell he was talented,get don't car to hear it. Although I do like some Hendricks and Santana.
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Ritchie was EXACTLY the right guy to open Woodstock. He set a mellow mood that carried thru the whole deal. Three days of peace, love, and understanding that could have been a disaster like Monterey if Ritchie hadn't settled the crowd from the get-go. I always liked his work though I didn't listen to him a lot.

And Carlos and the boys - a performance for the ages. Still fresh today. He showed what an SG could do! I'm a big fan of SGs and I don't even play.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                  X