Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Ford techs out there? Need help ASAP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Ford techs out there? Need help ASAP!

Hey guys, some of you may know that I blew the motor in my truck last year. Well after a year of saving money I got a killer new motor built and put into the truck. The truck is a 2002 Lightning.

Here's my problem.

Everything is installed and I got to the part of downloading a tune to the PCM. I tried starting the truck and the theft light is blinking and my odometer is showing -----------.
    The motor cranks and cranks and cranks but won't fire.

Here's what I've done so far:
    Checked all fuses.
    Switched relays around to make sure I didn't have a bad one.
    Put a new battery in the truck
    Put the old chip back in to see if my new tune was the problem
    Tried all kinds of ways to reset the PATS and haven't found anything that works.

I really need help if I'm going to get this pig on Power Tour this year. Any and all help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Bob
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

I'm not a Ford tech, but usually a flashing theft light in a Furd means you got a PATS (Passive Anti Theft System) problem. "Everyone" I know with a Ford w/PATS has had the same problem after changing/altering the ignition lock cylinder or messing with the PCM, you end up w/PATS problems. The dealership is the only place I know of who can fix it. One of those high end tuning shops that flashes PCM's might be able to fix it too...

Here's a guy with a similar problem..

Comment

Thanks. I didn't mess with the ignition and the only thing I did with the PCM was take the piggyback chip off of it. I made sure I did this with the battery out of it trying to avoid problems like this.
      I R Bob
      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Bob - unfortunately I'm not really up on the more modern stuff - I got out of the calibration game too long ago to have much hands on experience with this stuff.

PATS has kicked in and locked down your truck - that's for sure - the question is - how to re-set it.

I think you're down to a situation where you have to get a dealership to reset it - or remove the computer and ship it off to someone to have it "reset" I'm sorry I can't be more help - if you were local there are some guys I know that could help - but with your truck immobile a couple hours away - I'm about as useful as boobs on a boy beagle.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
          Bob - unfortunately I'm not really up on the more modern stuff - I got out of the calibration game too long ago to have much hands on experience with this stuff.

PATS has kicked in and locked down your truck - that's for sure - the question is - how to re-set it.

I think you're down to a situation where you have to get a dealership to reset it - or remove the computer and ship it off to someone to have it "reset" I'm sorry I can't be more help - if you were local there are some guys I know that could help - but with your truck immobile a couple hours away - I'm about as useful as boobs on a boy beagle.
          Thanks anyway John. Boobs on a boy beagle......

I wonder if a dealer can reset the computer without it being in the truck? I can pop that out of there in about 2 minutes.
          Last edited by BluLightning; April 24, 2013, 07:06 AM.
          I R Bob

Comment

Doug, ls7gto, is a Ford Tech, shoot him a PM. Not sure if he has internet access during the day.
            Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Good thought, Neal. I was racking my brain trying to come up with Doug's sign-on name.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                Doug, ls7gto, is a Ford Tech, shoot him a PM. Not sure if he has internet access during the day.
                Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                Good thought, Neal. I was racking my brain trying to come up with Doug's sign-on name.

Dan
                Thanks guys, I will do that.
                I R Bob

Comment

my 97 Cobra did the same thing. I put a chip in it with the pats disabled and still had the problem. I think the dealership is the only way to go and I think they need the truck there. My car has a FAST set up so I just had to wire up a starter switch.
                  used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Whalen View Post
                    my 97 Cobra did the same thing. I put a chip in it with the pats disabled and still had the problem. I think the dealership is the only way to go and I think they need the truck there. My car has a FAST set up so I just had to wire up a starter switch.
                    Thanks Paul. I did just email my tuner to see if he can send me a tune with the PATS turned off to try. If I have to, I'll tow it to the dealer. At this point I don't care as long as I get it running.
                    I R Bob

Comment

I don't think this is your problem but I read somewhere that one of the keys messed up, try your spare. (Its free)
                      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                      ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                        I don't think this is your problem but I read somewhere that one of the keys messed up, try your spare. (Its free)
                        I would but I can't find the dang thing!
                        I R Bob

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                          I would but I can't find the dang thing!
                          Thus the purpose of "spare"keys... Inability to find when needed..

Comment

we reset VATS problems ...the car has to be at the dealer..hooked to our now wireless system ..charge an hour

Comment

My old SVT Cobra "show car" has done that a couple of times. What I think usually triggers the anti-theft is popping the hood to disconnect the battery tender before starting the car. DOH!

As I recall the PATS reset that's worked for me is:

1. Disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes
                              2. Reconnect the battery
                              3. Let the PATS system see both of the keys by placing them (one at a time, of course) in the ignition.
                              4. Crank 'er UP!
                              5. Smoke tires in victory!

(I hope I haven't left out any steps . . . the last time I had to reset PATS was right before last year's MCA Grand National . . . and that was during the DW '12 thrash on my Coyote (so the details are a tad fuzzy ). . . but I'm fairly certain that the dealer told me (actually, they told Mrs. Outsider because I was busy in the shop) that a field reset won't work without both chipped keys being present . . . of course that could just be a little canard they tell folks to get 'em off the phone . . . anyhow, I've never had to have a tow or a computer reflash to fix the problem . . . .)
                              Last edited by 38P; April 24, 2013, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X