The Day the Music Died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Day the Music Died

"The Day the Music Died" is always tied to the chorus of the song Miss American Pie, supposedly about the Buddy Holly plane crash. But who knows what that song was actually about? Who knows, with a genuine artist/musician involved. It may have been about having to wash a load of clothes, who the f knows. There's no telling with musicians/artists. It's anybody's guess.

I'm just pondering - I've got about 200 record albums and about that many CD's all piled up over here, all a blast from the past. There was a music period, where music had to be going all the time.

Older now, .....when I was about to make a run at Ohio I was in line behind Dan Stokes. Dan turned Truck's side mirrors in for aerodynamic advantage. Likewise, I unscrewed Red's radio antenna and tossed it in the trunk. Probably both of those actions had just about as much effect - none.

But I didn't need that antenna anyhow. I never ever turned on Red's radio to begin with. I'd rather hear the engine. For miles. All day.

By now I can hear every song I want to hear anytime I want to hear it, in my mind. They're burned in. I've heard them and I can hear them, and replay them, over and over. No hardware needed.

So the stereo system in the living room hasn't been plugged in for I don't know how long and the albums and CD's just sit there. It's all there, I just don't use it.

The music hasn't died, I've just got it all memorized.

Is that weird? Yep, I'll bet it is, to most folks.
    Last edited by pdub; April 26, 2013, 08:04 PM.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

I'm a bit younger, but been in the same realm for about 15 years. I had some years as a boy, I just new I was going to be a musician. Real lessons, band even practiced in the house. I have heard a drunk guy singing better than todays best.

I can tie in music dying to an engine losing a draft of a carb. What music is there but an attempt at cloning something that will always be beautiful.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

pdub, you really picked a day for this post,I figured it was a George Jones (RIP) thread.

When Z (my boy) was a car carrier sized baby, sometimes he would fight sleeping. You could rock him, walk him around, put him in his bed and command "SLEEP", and he'd refuse. As a last resort, I would put him in the truck on the same side as the muffers and drive around the block... he wouldn't make three blocks. FWAM - out like a light.

Dual exhaust is stereo. Single and you might have a good enough mono.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

You're kidding......right?

Not SUPPOSED ......IT was written about the ill fated flight on Feb 3, 1959 Clear Lake, IA.
        Don McLean dedicated the 1971 American Pie album to Buddy Holly.

The lyrics......'February made me shiver/with every paper I'd deliver'.....refers to McLean
        reading about the plane crash while a paper delivery boy.

The remaining song is in cryptic lyrics and open to interpretation of the listener.
        Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

I always felt it was about JFK's assinitaion. Now that I think about it, Kennedy was killed in November.
          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Pdub is being a.d.d. .... it's a post about I don't know what this song means, hey I used to listen to music all the time, hey now my car is my music.

N3794N was the name of the plane, not American Pie.

Makes since, that rappa boom booom chiggedy chiggedy boom boooom stuff comes out of cars that would probably sound okay without it's high performance fart can.

oh - pdub, I don't mean anything bad by a.d.d. ... I really meant "Stream of consciousness post"e

Look a chicken!

Last edited by Beagle; April 27, 2013, 12:33 PM.
            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I suppose different age groups interpret it differently..
              JFK didn't make music..
              Like Monk, always known/thought it was Buddy Holly/Big Bopper/Richie Valens..
              That is the song played at the end of the Lou Diamond Phillips film about Richie Valens.. (I think)

Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on that plane instead of Richie, since Richie was sick, Buddy talked Waylon into riding the bus even tho he was the bigger star than Richie..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                I suppose different age groups interpret it differently..
                JFK didn't make music..
                Like Monk, always known/thought it was Buddy Holly/Big Bopper/Richie Valens..
                That is the song played at the end of the Lou Diamond Phillips film about Richie Valens.. (I think)

Waylon Jennings was supposed to be on that plane instead of Richie, since Richie was sick, Buddy talked Waylon into riding the bus even tho he was the bigger star than Richie..
                That is absolutely correct!
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I won't bother a soul here next week, I'm on duty at work next week. I''m trying to get ahead.....enjoy the peace and quiet next week....
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Trivia question (I know the answer) - what was The Big Bopper's real name? No fair looking it up!

Dan

Comment

[QUOTE=peewee;761275By now I can hear every song I want to hear anytime I want to hear it, in my mind. They're burned in. I've heard them and I can hear them, and replay them, over and over. No hardware needed.

So the stereo system in the living room hasn't been plugged in for I don't know how long and the albums and CD's just sit there. It's all there, I just don't use it.

The music hasn't died, I've just got it all memorized.

Is that weird? Yep, I'll bet it is, to most folks.[/QUOTE]

That's actually a good thing...you won't have to re-up all your music when the next wave of technology comes around!
                      I wonder if the music in your head will get pops like records do or sound crappy after years like cassette tape does as it rots?
                      Last edited by LORENSWIFE; April 30, 2013, 09:44 AM.
                      That awkward moment when you realize it IS your circus and those ARE your monkeys!

Comment

Trivia question (I know the answer) - what was The Big Bopper's real name? No fair looking it up!
                        I think it was JP Richardson....
                        Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

You guys need to come up to clear lake. The time to go would be February for the winter dance party. Even if your just swinging through i35 take a minute and swing into the surf. It's simply amazing the talent that has played in that small building. And if you need a tour guide to show you the memorial Of the crash site, i just happen to know a guy. That and I know all the good places to eat too. My treat.

---Monk still looking for that paper and the flyer for the show in Wisconsin for you. Haven't forgot just busy with life I guess.
                          Jeff
                          Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post

Dan
                            Last name, Richardson, first..JP. don't know what they stand for

Comment

Speaking of our resident Monk is he cloistered or what ?
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X