Top tools you must have in the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top tools you must have in the shop

The tools I desire most for they shop change from project to project. For example, right now I need to press new bushing shells in the a-arms of a 67 Malibu, so the tool at the top of my lust list right now is a press. How often would I use it? Maybe once a year. A week ago, when I was trying to wire wheel the a-arms and prep them for paint, it was a blast cabinet. I would use that at least once a year, maybe even twice. Then when I was rattle-canning those a-arms, I had a nasty lust for an air compressor and a spray gun.

So what tool do I need most in the shop? I.e., what would I use the most? Definitely an air compressor. And all the gadgets you can power with one.

What tools do you want so bad you can taste?
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Re: Top tools you must have in the shop

80 gallon air compressor....Coming Soon
    MIG welder....Coming Soon
    Pipe Bender
    Press
    Soda Blaster
    Blast Cabinet
    Parts Washer
    Chop Saw
    Bigger Tool Box ;D
    Cherry Picker....Coming Soon

As it turns out....This is my new christmas list ;D

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I have a shop press that I made myself when I worked at a fab shop....dagnesta your right I have had my press for 3 years and I have only used it once to press in u-joints. But when I do need it I will have it.

I have a 60 gallon air compressor recently upgraded from a 30 gallon. I love it.

I have a mig welder little 145 amp it gets the job done...but would love to have at least a 210.

I also have a parts washer..its put together but no solvent put in it yet.

So I guess my wishlist would be as follows

Plasma Cutter or Good Torch Set
      Pipe Bender
      Chop Saw
      Band Saw
      A lift

Comment

A bigger and better air compressor, the 30+ year old SEARS I have is on its last legs. The only original part on it is the tank itself. A blast cabinet, since I'm one of those obsessive compulsive nuts that have to detail parts that no one will ever see once it's installed. ;D
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
          The tools I desire most for they shop change from project to project. For example, right now I need to press new bushing shells in the a-arms of a 67 Malibu, so the tool at the top of my lust list right now is a press. How often would I use it? Maybe once a year. A week ago, when I was trying to wire wheel the a-arms and prep them for paint, it was a blast cabinet. I would use that at least once a year, maybe even twice. Then when I was rattle-canning those a-arms, I had a nasty lust for an air compressor and a spray gun.

So what tool do I need most in the shop? I.e., what would I use the most? Definitely an air compressor. And all the gadgets you can power with one.

What tools do you want so bad you can taste?
          hey dude ! when do you need that press ?

Comment

60gal Air compressor: check (Quincy 2 cylinder single action model, craigslist buy)
            120V MIG: check (Lincoln Electric with continuously variable amperage)
            Bench Grinder: check (Harbor Frieght special I got off of the same guy as the compressor with a full polishing setup)
            Drill Press: borrowing one but I want a floor mount unit with a 1/2in chuck
            Benchtop Mill: I really want one of these!!!
            Blasting Cabinet: probably going to build my own using the "make a mess" sandblaster I got with my compressor in a home built enclosure.
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

CTX.

Please elaborate on this home built blast cabinet. This sounds like something I need to build.

Comment

Have :compressor,mig,chop saw,sawzall,need a plasma cutter. Now if were not being dreaming just a little it would be a Bridgeport mill!

Comment

A press would be nice...as would a real parts washer.

Comment

I would love a big compressor, a welder, a press, a chop saw and a grinder...I would be set.....and more broke than I am now

Comment

A bench vise and some misc sizes of steel pipe and a bfh are all you need to change out those A arm bushings. A press is nice for other things though, so you can't have mine.

A bigass compressor is indeed nice to have, I got mine from a friend who was leaving town and needed gas money. It's served me well for the last 15 years, one of the best $600 I ever spent.

Tonight we needed a special wrench to fit a Maillard freewheel on a Peugeot bicycle, but I made do with some strange sizes of steel bar stock, a bigass crescent wrench, and some ingenuity. Worked fine on the 3rd try.

I don't have room for many more equipment type tools in my shop, so I'll settle for what I have. Fortunately it's quite a bit.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

This is a car junkie tv mandatory equipment, these had to be DF inspired-

Beach-sandals with built-in bottle opener

These beach-sandals have a built-in bottle opener hidden on the undersole. Great idea, provided you haven't been walking in dog crap or anything else you wouldn't want smeared on the lip of the bottle you're about to drink from.

Comment

Bottle Openers
                          GF-40102 Bottle Openers in Piston Pole Design, Made of Zinc, Measures 120 x 65 x 10cm

Comment

You NEED a Band Saw and a Lathe.... Seriously... the two tools I don't know how I did without... amazingly cool at building stuff then cutting it apart and rebuilding it...

K

Comment

Originally posted by cal67ss396
                              CTX.

Please elaborate on this home built blast cabinet. This sounds like something I need to build.
                              I got a returnless sanblasting setup with my compressor, its basically a siphon tube and the gun. To turn it into a blasting cabinet you just need a way to contain the blasting media so that it returns to where the siphon tube can grab it in the bottom. My enclosure idea was bases off of some other home built designs I've seen on the web. The hard parts are attaching the gloves so that seals and the viewing port. My solution for the viewing port was a microwave oven door. Add a shop vac with an external exhauste to trap the dust and you're good.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X