Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fubar idea of the day

3.0 liter Mercruiser 140hp / SBC bellhousing / T5

Turbo from a "before they were black" 3.8 buick (carb'd originally, has a QJ flange and the infamous "Foot" 90* elbow / 3 bold outlet

Ebay 4 bbl Throttle body
    Port injection
    Methanol supplement

In something really light - like a Vega / Monza / RX7 (first gen)

5-7 psi should be possible, would make it 210 ish HP, about 270 torque and pull like a boat motor. "RV" Cam like.

I'm wondering what kind of MPG it would get.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Is a 3.0 Mercruiser the old Chevy II 4?

Comment

I believe so. They've been using the 2.5 and 3.0 version in boats forever. 4.0 bore, 3.6 stroke. From what I've read it uses a SBC bellhousing and has a 14" flywheel.

Comment

that would be an awesome thing to see and hear.
        very old offenhauser like..
        with more a gm bore and stroke.

wow.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

It would make a good vibrator.

Comment

oooh Goody. Then Monica will like it maybe. I have an old 1200 Sportster, it can't be any rougher than that! (solid mount common pin v-twin=rough)

Looks like I can put an adapter / spacer between an SN95 T5 and the Chevy bell, the Muncie is 6.50 and the T5 is 7.85 input shaft length. It will take a "custom" pilot bearing but I figure I can get one turned or maybe do one myself.

Comment

the early model 2.5 chevy heads had issues with the valve seats, the later ones, post 86 or somethin like that made good power, crane makes a cam for those

the 2.5 I had in my S10 had the same head used in the boat engines, made good power for being a "stock" 4 banger and had good gas mileage
              Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Don't forget the GM Atlas inlines. I concluded a while ago that the "best" engine candidate for a Miata swap was the 240hp vortech 3700 5 cylinder. V8's were too wide, inline 6's were too long, and 4 cylinders swaps weren't worth the effort.

Comment

My burned up boat (screwed up interior) has a 230 hp 305 4bbl and Alpha one. The controls seem usable. The smaller boat has the 140 / 4cylinder. See where the problem starts?

Charles, I think there are 3 marine heads for the 181" 4 cylinder, I have no idea which one this is. Small 8 port, large 8 port, and six port. The cam in the boat mill is advertised 280, [email protected] , .443 lift which I think would play nice with a turbo. Supposedly a 114* LSA.
                  Last edited by Beagle; May 4, 2013, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I was under the impression that a normal SB Chevy head was a bolt on for that engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr4Speed View Post
                      I was under the impression that a normal SB Chevy head was a bolt on for that engine.
                      if you have this engine block, and DEEP pockets

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

The small V-6 is 173 ci.. This is 181 plus you can use a pretty good head on it!
                        Think how good it would be in a light car like a MG, Triumph GT, Sunbeam, stripped S-10...
                        Power, mileage.. Won't be no big block but make a hell of a daily driver!
                        Talked to circle track racers who ran those type of 4's they said 250-350 hp was very easily attained, I was blown away when they said they had (thumbs uo sign, with a big grin) in their small cars.. So something with 300 hp, streetable would make many of us grin like fools..

I know the 4 cyl was better than the little V-6 in the Bronco..
                        Last edited by Deaf Bob; May 4, 2013, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Not the same block design Charles, from what I'm reading. That's a Iron Duke block, this is the old Chevy II block design I believe. I'm trying to find out more on this, apparently the Pontiac 151 is one thing, the Chevy II was a 153. Originally, Pontiac split a 389 for the four cylinder.

I'm not finding a ton of information on hotrod parts for the 181, but it's no biggy. All this junk is more or less laying around. I don't think I'd spend money on it. lol. I think I have enough junk for fuel only EFI for it, maybe look at a micro-squirt to drive it. The high dollar part would be a T5 rebuild and an adapter plate, maybe a driveshaft length adjustment.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Vortec 3000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	869784

Vortec 3000 is apparently how GM refers to it.

Comment

Working...
                            X