So I broke down and bought an Import

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I broke down and bought an Import

Yap with the gas prices the way they are, I had to get something a little more economical. But I had to keep it along the lines of my heritage(I'm from German descent). So I bought a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro, it's a nice car with leather interior a sun roof and a turbocharged 4 banger. It's suppose to get 25-30 on the highway and like 20 in town. And I have to say it has a really nice ride.

And no I didn't get rid of any of my other rides, I just needed a third car that got good gas mileage and something the wife could drive instead of the truck all the time.

So anyone else break down and buy a more economical ride?

Re: So I broke down and bought an Import

I just got back from looking at dealers for a gas saver and I've almost come to the conclusion... 2005 Honda civic 5-speed 2-door. I'll keep it bone stock though. Just for the commute. It'll free up money in the long run for my Chevy that's been rotting. But... what about a Grand National with a clever computer setup? 600hp+ 30 mpg? ... don't know bout that. Fun to scheme though.

Comment

Do Motorcycles count? Damn Honda's get 40+ mpg... and the BMW is over 50 if you keep it below 75mph... but I don't...

Fun stuff... 1000 miles is less then a 100 bucks in Gas... and can be done in under a day... ( yeah I know.. but stupidity hangs on me like a lunch sign )

K

Comment

The turbo VW engine is not bad... Just make sure to change the oil regularly. Depending on the previous owners, these engines have a rep for sludge... I like the A4, it makes a great DD. Especially if you live in an area with wet/snowy weather... AWD is nice...

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny
          The turbo VW engine is not bad... Just make sure to change the oil regularly. Depending on the previous owners, these engines have a rep for sludge... I like the A4, it makes a great DD. Especially if you live in an area with wet/snowy weather... AWD is nice...
          Bingo, Just hope the oil was changed, I would change the oil every 2500 miles in that thing. I have seen first hand what a 7500mi recomended oil change looks like in those cars. Lets just say a combination of molasis and peanut butter :o

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
            Yap with the gas prices the way they are, I had to get something a little more economical. But I had to keep it along the lines of my heritage(I'm from German descent). So I bought a 1998 Audi A4 Quattro, it's a nice car with leather interior a sun roof and a turbocharged 4 banger. It's suppose to get 25-30 on the highway and like 20 in town. And I have to say it has a really nice ride.

And no I didn't get rid of any of my other rides, I just needed a third car that got good gas mileage and something the wife could drive instead of the truck all the time.

So anyone else break down and buy a more economical ride?

We have an Audi A4 TDI about the same age, seems to go on forever on a tank of fuel, especially on the freeway at 80mph.
            I just did an oil change on Saturday last, the diesel has a large plastic pan underneath that has to be removed to access the drain plug.
            Then from the top the coolant reservoir has to be moved aside to get at the oil filter, that´s a bugger, no way to remove it without spilling oil
            and it all ends up on the motor block webbing.
            Saturday afternoon the passenger side window fell into the door, small plastic runners that attach the window to the guides had broken into pieces.
            You have to keep an eye on the serpentine belt if it´s old it could break and ruin the motor.

Comment

We have an Audi A4 TDI about the same age, seems to go on forever on a tank of fuel, especially on the freeway at 80mph.
              I just did an oil change on Saturday last, the diesel has a large plastic pan underneath that has to be removed to access the drain plug.
              Then from the top the coolant reservoir has to be moved aside to get at the oil filter, that´s a bugger, no way to remove it without spilling oil
              and it all ends up on the motor block webbing.
              Saturday afternoon the passenger side window fell into the door, small plastic runners that attach the window to the guides had broken into pieces.
              You have to keep an eye on the serpentine belt if it´s old it could break and ruin the motor.

[/quote]

My wife's Jetta had the window problem more than once. The plastic regulators were finally replaced with metal ones. No problems with it since then.

Comment

Don't feel bad, I bought a Saab last November. It was a trade in at work, so I got it dirt cheap. Full load, leather, power everything, turbo, 5 spd. I really like it, especially the 34 mpg hwy vs. my F150 that was getting 11-13 mpg.

I worked at a VW-Audi dealer back when your car was new. I remember them eating up wheel bearings, some suspension parts, mostly sway bar bushings and links, and they seemed to have not enough brake bias to the rear. A hard stop once in a while to keep the rear rotors clean might not be a bad idea.

Comment

I'm looking at M/Cs.....some of the mid size cruisers and used of course.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster
                    I'm considering that too. 50 mpg is very appealing.

Comment

I just picked up a '95 E300 diesel - I plan on running veggie oil or whatever else the engine will burn.

It will be a learning experience - 260k miles.

I would HIGHLY recommend you use synthetic oil in the A4 - I have a friend with two high mileage Audi's - one an S4, one an A6 - they both have had synthetic on ~5k intervals and the engines look great.

I've run 5k then a new filter and top off the oil, then change it all at 10k - 155k so far on that plan with mobil1 - and that engine looks new under the valve cover.
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

The only previous trouble with the Audi was a bushing/strut assembly had worn out so it failed the yearly inspection.
                        The part only came as an assembly and was quite expensive, labor charges would have doubled the repair cost.
                        I took the part and did it myself.
                        Over here they frown on do it yourself mechanics.

I would HIGHLY recommend you use synthetic oil in the A4

I´ve always used a semi synthetic.

Comment

I'm afraid more people are buying imports than know they are buying imports. With ME's new HHR, there was a notice on the window sticker - 40% domestic content (USA or Canada), 58% Mexican. I can only guess where the rest came from - Latvia, perhaps? I hope that we bought wisely, but who knows anymore?

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                            Originally posted by Bamfster
                            I'm considering that too. 50 mpg is very appealing.
                            Not to mention the fun of riding again....

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                              I just picked up a '95 E300 diesel - I plan on running veggie oil or whatever else the engine will burn.

It will be a learning experience - 260k miles.

I would HIGHLY recommend you use synthetic oil in the A4 - I have a friend with two high mileage Audi's - one an S4, one an A6 - they both have had synthetic on ~5k intervals and the engines look great.

I've run 5k then a new filter and top off the oil, then change it all at 10k - 155k so far on that plan with mobil1 - and that engine looks new under the valve cover.
                              Interesting....I have a pre-powerstroke F250, I have been burning a 30% blend of used motor oil in.

Comment

Working...
                              X