Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utes (El Camino, Spirit, Caballero, and Ranchero) Usefulness

Howdy,

I need a truck... no way around that especially with my DIY additude. The problem is I need a car for the wife, a truck is going to be too much for her as a first vehicle. I was thinking an Elky would be a perfect balance but the question becomes is it a jack of all and master of none or is it really actually useful as a light truck while still driving like a car?

Thanks,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Utes (El Camino, Spirit, Caballero, and Ranchero) Usefulness

Set up right, they can pull a car trailer. I have a pic somewhere I will post of a 68-72 Elky in orange and cragars with a matching car trailer and a matching nostalgia style blown 33 Willys. If that guy feels like the 'Camino can handle that, you should be able to use yours like a truck.

Comment

They are sprung soft in the back, a set of bags will make it more truck than most people need, to haul their coolers around.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Well I'm a bit more than just hauling coolers and camping gear. Dirt, rear axles, engines, probably furniture, maybe towing a project car body home on a U-Haul.... that kind of thing.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I would expect that the '73-'77 Elky/Caballero and the '71-'79(?) Ranchero would work well, given that it's a heavier frame than the majority of the years
          Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

But Good Gravey they are ugly!
            Central TEXAS Sleeper
            USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

It will work fine, what I was saying is most Power Strokes haul coolers around. Put some bags in the springs with a good shock and you will be fine.
              2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
              First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
              2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
              2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I don't like the funky stacked headlights on the Chevy, the rest isn't bad at all but the the headlights are fussy and its actually kinda big for what I'm looking for. I have my eye more on the 78-88 variety, the 64-72's are old and valuable and the middle ones are big and kinda ugly though that SS isn't that bad.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

My wife's main car is a truck, but we live in the country and she has horses. and we have room/means whatever to have several vehicles registered/insured/parked.

I suggest just finding a beater truck for occasional use, as long as you have somewhere to park it. That way you won't have to compromise on anything.
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
                    Now this... uhh... I'm a Ford guy and I can't get there yet.
                    The only reason I don't openly hate on that style Ford product, is because my grandfather had a country squire wagon of that era and it was one of the first cars I remember riding in as a kid. Without that connection, it would be a different story.

That car went out fighting anyway. I remember the day my dad and grandfather loaded it onto the flatbed pallet truck from dad's business which is NOT a low bed, tilt bed, or similar type compatible design. They just built giant ass wooden ramps and come-along'd the thing onto the old F-600. We took it to the junkyard where we sat and watched the crusher do it's thing. We even brought sandwiches.

Brian
                    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Most any year El Camino looks good to me, but the Ranchero stops at about '73 for me. Would love to have a '70 or '71 Ranchero Squire with a 429 4 speed, shaker scoop, Magnum 500 wheels. Any color except yellow or brown.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                        maybe towing a project car body home on a U-Haul.... that kind of thing.
                        good luck with that....check to see what kind of tow vehicle they'll hook up their trailers too first! I remember years ago having to find a friend with a 3/4 ton truck to be able to rent a trailer (although it probably was not Uhaul).

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                          Most any year El Camino looks good to me, but the Ranchero stops at about '73 for me. Would love to have a '70 or '71 Ranchero Squire with a 429 4 speed, shaker scoop, Magnum 500 wheels. Any color except yellow or brown.

Normally, fake wood trim irritates me to no end.

Oddly enough, it looks sorta good on this example.......

Bring back the El Camino/Ranchero combo...the perfect alternative for the SUV behemoths!

Comment

Lose the Poncho front-end, add a bowtie(or GMC logo) to the front...

Seriously, time for the masses to re-discover the goodness of a Cowboy Cadillac!

I still lust after DF's orange '72(think he sold it back to CC)......

Comment

Always been a big fan of the 72 rancheros 8).

And after owning and abusing a 75 El Camino ss for 5 years,i now that a C10 is a way better vehicle to tow with.Especially if you must tow more than 3000 pounds.Rear axles engines and such parts will go fine.

The el camino are too soft and sway too much.

78-88 El Camino are smaller,but they have crappy 7,5 inch rear and not so good lookin dash...and 305 as biggest engine original.Some 78 models did however come with the 350..

If you can like the 73-77 model Elky,go for a 73-74 laguna front end..

The overhaulin 77 El Camino with 73-74 Laguna front end.

Original 75 model.

Comment

Working...
                              X