Utes (El Camino, Spirit, Caballero, and Ranchero) Usefulness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Utes (El Camino, Spirit, Caballero, and Ranchero) Usefulness

if you think 78-88 are ugly put a regal front end on it hey a grand national utility??

Comment

Originally posted by fabricatordave
      if you think 78-88 are ugly put a regal front end on it hey a grand national utility??
      I really like the 4 head light fronts but if I get mine back(negotiations are underway) It'll probably get monty carlo dog house and doors . The regal would be easier. I think just a dog house change would match the doors. This would be cool w/3.8 turbo.

Comment

The wife likes the Choo Choo SS actually the best. If I was going to do the Buick clone bit I'd use an 80 Coupe (80-84 sedan and wagon) short nose Regal front clip because it would be an easier fit than trying to get the doors and body lines to line up. I have one Turbo6 car, this would either be an NA mid compression V6, a stock 4200 DOHC I6 (06+ MAF units), or an LT1 out of a B/D body.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Personally, I dig the 70's Rancheros...with the full frame under the 72-up stuff, they can take one hell of a beating.
          Stick some station wagon 460 car springs out back, and yes you can pull a car trailer with a one ton truck on the trailer...just need GOOD shocks and a big sway bar out back. Only issue is the damn weight, jebus they be heavy som-beeyatches with the 460, let alone any other power plant.
          I would drive this:

Personally though, if you don't plan on pulling a ton of stuff, the low height of an 80's aero elco can come in handy...big enough bed to haul an axle in, ya know, and unlike having a full size truck, don't have to heft the axle caveman style 4-5 feet up into the bed...plus, while I don't do GM stuff, I imagine pretty easy to update with a newer type GM V8 and overdrive, like say a 5.3L...just my 2 cents.
          Andrew
          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76
            Personally, I dig the 70's Rancheros...with the full frame under the 72-up stuff, they can take one hell of a beating.
            Stick some station wagon 460 car springs out back, and yes you can pull a car trailer with a one ton truck on the trailer...just need GOOD shocks and a big sway bar out back. Only issue is the damn weight, jebus they be heavy som-beeyatches with the 460, let alone any other power plant.
            I would drive this:

Personally though, if you don't plan on pulling a ton of stuff, the low height of an 80's aero elco can come in handy...big enough bed to haul an axle in, ya know, and unlike having a full size truck, don't have to heft the axle caveman style 4-5 feet up into the bed...plus, while I don't do GM stuff, I imagine pretty easy to update with a newer type GM V8 and overdrive, like say a 5.3L...just my 2 cents.
            That thousand pound front bumper doesn't help either.
            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Here's a pic of the ElCamino I saw at Atco 2 years ago during one of their nostalgia drag events as promised earlier in this thread. Not a great pic of the 'Camino, but I was mostly diggin' the Willys. Sweet matching setup. If he pulls that around, I wouldn't be afraid of using one to haul either.

Comment

Working...
              X