No announcement yet.

Big Radial Engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got to see the Confererate Air Force attend a show when I was a kid... My Uncle flew F4-U's in WWII ... I was hooked ever since...
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

old war movies, you can see the guys walking the propellers through, I had to ask.. Why? Prevent hydraulic lock. Same reason they smoke like an SOB when they start I guess... Apparently they did that at intervals when the bird was supposed to be ready to go.

Nitrous, meth injection, turbos, blowers... we don't really have anything new for those old birds. As I understood it, the flight mixture was controlled via lever and cylinder head temperature.
      Last edited by Beagle; May 12, 2013, 05:57 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        Dad still likes to tell of changing out the 28 cylinder roundy beasts that displaced 4300+ cubes. Said the specified torque in the for some of the nuts was "One large man at end of 6 foot breaker bar, 3 jerks."
        Sounds like the torque value for a Beaver prop.......

old war movies, you can see the guys walking the propellers through, I had to ask.. Why? Prevent hydraulic lock. Same reason they smoke like an SOB when they start I guess... Apparently they did that at intervals when the bird was supposed to be ready to go.
        Gravity wins.....oil runs down into the bottom cylinders when the engine is static.

Nitrous, meth injection, turbos, blowers... we don't really have anything new for those old birds. As I understood it, the flight mixture was controlled via lever and cylinder head temperature.
        Exactly how it's done.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

In movies? I pull props on a B-25 every weekend during the summer. Its not an easy task either, takes at least three people...or someone like me and one normal sized person. Oil gathers in the bottom cylinders and is insufficeint in the upper cylinders after a long enough period of time. Pulling the props clears oil out of the lower cylinders and pre-oils the uppers. We pull 6 full rotations or until oil streams out of the exhaust.
          1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
          1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

nice

Comment

Working...
            X