american highways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• american highways

I was watching a show where they may limit the autobahn speed limits more than it is already. Given Americas 50000 miles and overall speeds in longevity outdoes everything...
    I was looking up some interesting facts.
    north south highways all odd numbered.
    east west, all even numbered.
    I got stumped on "longest concurrent" highway. I have no clue what that means.

gary indiana to Elyria ohio 278 miles.
    wikipedia

its 298miles just from Houlton maine to kittery on nothing but I-95.

what are they talking about..
    "longest concurrency"?

I am looking forward to seeing America as officially the fastest highway system in the world.. its going to happen.

did you know trucks in Germany have a limit of 50mph? How the hell does a super car go 200 american mph with that kind of clutter one lane over?

I think America is officially the fastest right now given reality. I have had the tin can (after built saef of course) at 110mph in maine for more than an hour.. not even letting off. I do know how lucky that is...not for being caught for speeding, I mean a highway that empty.

what is your thoughts on roads and where they are headed.

my tin can Subaru shipped in 1987..the last of 55mph. Today its cruising at 80 by police on the same highway.

A lot of work for bangshifters.. the old cars.
    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 10, 2013, 05:21 PM.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

When Eisenhower (sp?) mandated the interstate highway system, he ordered that in as much as possible, one mile in every three miles be perfectly straight, so the military could land a plane on it if they had to.

Back in the day.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
      When Eisenhower (sp?) mandated the interstate highway system, he ordered that in as much as possible, one mile in every three miles be perfectly straight, so the military could land a plane on it if they had to.

Back in the day.
      that is in the wikipedia article. It was a hoax.

there are highways where they could have stayed straight as an arrow and did not. Maybe to avoid that desert like illusion.

I was surpised to see 300 miles from Houlton to kittery maine. must be a lot of curves.

flying out of bangor many times.. over new York in 20 minutes. Cars are tortured.
      Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
        that is in the wikipedia article. It was a hoax.
        Jimmy Hoffa is buried in remote southern Alaska. Nobody has ever bothered to look there. It's off the grid.

Comment

I-80 from Utah to Iowa and beyond has to be the longest...
          Or
          I-5 from Seattle to Mexico? .. I think after Seattle it becomes 101?

Either highway is over a couple thou miles if not that..

Comment

It's at least 6 thousand miles between Atlanta and Augusta. No facilities. You better have gas in the tank.

Comment

How 'bout I-10 from coast to coast? I think it goes all the way across....

actually....I-90 is the longest interstate with 3101 miles of roadway.........but the winner is:

U.S. Route 20 (US 20) is an east–west United States highway. The "0" in its route number indicates that US 20 is a coast-to-coast route. Spanning 3,365 miles (5,415 km), it is the longest road in the United States,[2] and the route roughly parallels that of Interstate 90 (I-90). However, since numbered US routes are not designated as such within the boundaries of national parks, Yellowstone National Park technically splits the route into two sections.
              It and US 30 break the general U.S. Route numbering rules in Oregon, since US 30 actually starts north of US 20 and runs parallel to the north throughout the state. The two overlap and continue in the "correct" positioning near Caldwell, Idaho. This is because US 20 was not a planned coast-to-coast route while US 30 was. US 20 originally ended at the eastern entrance of Yellowstone Park; it was extended in 1940.[2]
              The highway's eastern terminus is in Boston, Massachusetts, at Kenmore Square, where it meets Route 2. Its western terminus is in Newport, Oregon, at an intersection with US 101, within a mile of the Pacific Ocean.[3]

U.S. Highway 1 is 2,390 miles long (3,846 km) and follows the eastern coastline of the United States. The north end is in Fort Kent, Maine and the south end is in Key West, Florida. It is the longest north/south 2-lane highway in the United States.

Man, BangShift is so educational sometimes!! Thanks Barry!
              Last edited by oletrux4evr; May 10, 2013, 07:13 PM.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I'm guessing here, but this much I know - there's a huge difference between a contiguous Road and a contiguous Route. Routes (like US 66) may and often are made up of a number of individual roads sort of threaded together to make a way to get from here to there.

I-40 (which starts just about 5 miles from our house) runs unbroken to Bakersfield CA - 2554 miles. Not the longest road in the US I know but I know the mileage so I use it as an example.

Anyhow - can't compare routes and roads (unless you want to).

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                  It's at least 6 thousand miles between Atlanta and Augusta.

AT LEAST!

I made the trip many times in the 80's. I was stationed at Ft Gordon Ga twice.
                  A.K.A. Brian
                  Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                    How 'bout I-10 from coast to coast? I think it goes all the way across....

actually....I-90 is the longest interstate with 3101 miles of roadway.........but the winner is:

U.S. Route 20 (US 20) is an east–west United States highway. The "0" in its route number indicates that US 20 is a coast-to-coast route. Spanning 3,365 miles (5,415 km), it is the longest road in the United States,[2] and the route roughly parallels that of Interstate 90 (I-90). However, since numbered US routes are not designated as such within the boundaries of national parks, Yellowstone National Park technically splits the route into two sections.
                    It and US 30 break the general U.S. Route numbering rules in Oregon, since US 30 actually starts north of US 20 and runs parallel to the north throughout the state. The two overlap and continue in the "correct" positioning near Caldwell, Idaho. This is because US 20 was not a planned coast-to-coast route while US 30 was. US 20 originally ended at the eastern entrance of Yellowstone Park; it was extended in 1940.[2]
                    The highway's eastern terminus is in Boston, Massachusetts, at Kenmore Square, where it meets Route 2. Its western terminus is in Newport, Oregon, at an intersection with US 101, within a mile of the Pacific Ocean.[3]

U.S. Highway 1 is 2,390 miles long (3,846 km) and follows the eastern coastline of the United States. The north end is in Fort Kent, Maine and the south end is in Key West, Florida. It is the longest north/south 2-lane highway in the United States.

Man, BangShift is so educational sometimes!! Thanks Barry!
                    I am a bit embarrassed about the highway stuff, I learned it as a boy trucking around with dad, forgot all of it.

hard to get lost if you know what direction you want.. could wing a coast to coast ride if one wants, don't even need a map.

the concurrency stuff. I wonder what that means really. There is even tolls to disrupt what they claimed at Wikipedia.

on the east coast, if to hug the coast, the longest stretch is a mile from me..
                    the I-95 from Houlton to Kittery.
                    people even fall asleep.

my standard for road going started there when I was 15 in the 80s, first rides alone n my own car.

I hated 3 speed automatics. Today has alot conquered.

I do like the freak stuff that gets ahead without intention. The subarus they called touring wagons were tall geared with 13 inch wheels, add 2 inches of diameter to that for todays safety.. its right up there with typical gm gearing today.

fun.

I am looking this stuff up, as my greatest pleasure is just simply driving... a loooong day. I go too long staying local to keep the basics in memory.

edit:

the concurrent means two highways together.
                    I-80 and I-90 defy the rules of the original highway plan. supposed to be separate, not together.

if they really did it right, I-90 would be in northern vermont, new York, new hamphsire , over to maine, and 80 would be all of the current 90 in massachussetts etc..

maine is actually discussing the east west highway, bound to happen.

I could guess they call it 100.
                    Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 10, 2013, 08:38 PM.
                    Previously boxer3main

Comment

US 1 doesnt literally follow the Eastern Coastline. It does run up and down the East coast , just not the coastline. It runs well inside NC.

Comment

Originally posted by realsteelfreak View Post
                        US 1 doesnt literally follow the Eastern Coastline. It does run up and down the East coast , just not the coastline. It runs well inside NC.
                        Well, they can't put it on the internet if it isn't true......

I guess that's the best Wikipedia could do.
                        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

true

Comment

The sad Thing is driving a truck for the last 20yrs I think I been on all roads mentioned above. And lo e every minute of it.
                            Grizzly Adams is my hero.

Comment

Working...
                            X