The Dodge Dart Dyno Day...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dodge Dart Dyno Day...

Yesterday I put my Dart on the dyno to get a baseline comparison-number from it's current poweroutput.
    I didn't expect much of it because in '73, these puny 318 motors got a measily 150hp on the crank spec'd from the factory.

40 years of wear and abuse wouldn't make things better either, and the switch to propane, a fuel with less energy in it won't help either.
    To top it all off I've replaced the transmission and rearaxle for beefed up versions.

The only things I've done to the motor are switching to 5w20 oil, cold air-intake, and improve the ignition curve for the propane fuel and it's LPG convertor and mixer enrichmentcurves. The mixer is placed right on top of the stock 2-bbl carb on the all stock castiron engine.

After the first run I was surprised to see a rearwheel output of 145hp @ 4340rpm.
    Still nothing to write home about, but in relation to the factory supplied number of just 150 'engine' horses, I'm fairly amazed where those horses came from, or that the factory perhaps gave out very conservative numbers to satisfy the insurance companies at the time.

In some following dynoruns I played with timing and mixture a bit but all resulted in less power to the wheels.
    Quite satisfying to know that I had adjusted the car pretty much 'spot on' with my butt-dyno.

Attached Files
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Wow.. it will be interesting to see where this leads!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Well, I know where this will lead to... It's the installation of a 3gen 5.7 Hemi ! :o)

I'm sure the current 318 can be improved in a lot of ways like going to a 4-bbl intake, slap some headers on it, and the most bang would probably be an increase of 2 compressionratio points by either milling the heads or getting some better heads with smaller chambers... Or, install that Raptor supercharger I still got laying around.

Although I very much want to, I won't be putting time and effort in improving the current 318 motor.
      I need all my time to get the Hemi running, installed and tuned. And in that specific order aswell.
      Last edited by BigBlockMopar; May 12, 2013, 04:28 AM.
      www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Great to see. Looks like your butt dyno is properly calibrated.

Dan

Comment

How much horsepower and tork did it make at 5450 rpm's on the dyno?

I could not make it out from looking at the print out.

Jimbo

Comment

By the way guys - that's on a wheel dyno. Bolts on in place of the wheels. It's a great system - NO wheel slip (unless something's REALLY wrong!). The one's I've seen used Eddy Current absorbers but I don't recognize that model.

Dan

Comment

swinger

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
                How much horsepower and tork did it make at 5450 rpm's on the dyno?
                We didn't go that high with the rpm's. The runs were made upto 4500rpm.

With the bonestock motor (castiron 2bbl-intake and exhaust manifolds) and the simple propane fuelsystem I didn't expect the motor to do much above 4000rpm anyway.

Dan,
                The principle is the same. These units have 2 large cooling flywheels surrounding a number of thick spools creating the magnetic fields.
                In the picture of the one unit you can make out the white coverings of the spools.
                Last edited by BigBlockMopar; May 12, 2013, 11:25 AM.
                www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                  Yesterday I put my Dart on the dyno to get a baseline comparison-number from it's current poweroutput.
                  I didn't expect much of it because in '73, these puny 318 motors got a measily 150hp on the crank spec'd from the factory.

After the first run I was surprised to see a rearwheel output of 145hp @ 4340rpm.
                  Still nothing to write home about, but in relation to the factory supplied number of just 150 'engine' horses, I'm fairly amazed where those horses came from, or that the factory perhaps gave out very conservative numbers to satisfy the insurance companies at the time.
                  Chrysler might have rated it like that to fit into an NHRA class, there were a lot of things going on back then, there was some stuff you absolutely wouldn't believe, even in the Stock classes.
                  Last edited by Grumpy; May 12, 2013, 06:59 PM.
                  sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

hp is just a ramp to max torque.

it is still a motor to have fun with.
                    I left most of my 70s and 80s stuff alone, ride the torque.

we don't all need to smack the back of our heads off the back window.
                    Previously boxer3main
                    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                      Wow.. it will be interesting to see where this leads!
                      A couple of rods out the side of the block?
                      Tom
                      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                        we don't all need to smack the back of our heads off the back window.

now you tell me!
                        sigpic

Just an Old Drag Racer that still has dreams of going fast!

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar View Post
                          Well, I know where this will lead to... It's the installation of a 3gen 5.7 Hemi ! :o)

I'm sure the current 318 can be improved in a lot of ways like going to a 4-bbl intake, slap some headers on it, and the most bang would probably be an increase of 2 compressionratio points by either milling the heads or getting some better heads with smaller chambers... Or, install that Raptor supercharger I still got laying around.

Although I very much want to, I won't be putting time and effort in improving the current 318 motor.
                          I need all my time to get the Hemi running, installed and tuned. And in that specific order aswell.
                          BBM,
                          The 318 is a pretty stout little motor. With the mods you mentioned above (and larger intake valves in the stock heads) mine puts down about 230hp to the rw. Nothing like the 5.7 Hemi though.
                          Small world syndrome... Ive been emailing back and forth with Richard Ludwig about a customers 572 Hemi with ignition noise. A really knowledgeable and nice guy from what I can tell!
                          BKB
                          www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                          Bruce K Bridges

Comment

I know, Sander was on that same dyno a few days earlier, from Mon to Wed. Haven't heard what kind of numbers they got out of his engine, but it could very well be they just focussed on getting it running nicely through the rpmrange.

Myself I'm currently just starting to rebuild the 5.7. Plan is to get it running and tuned a bit on an engine-stand first and put it in the Dart (dailydriver) after that.
                            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

BBM,
                              Due to the ignition noise they limited the RPM to 4500. Sander has 450rwhp at that rpm. Much more on tap once the ignition issue is fixed. I think hes going to a wasted spark system or COP next season. Hes been a great customer. I really want to get out there for the big Mopar cruise, but Im not going to make it this year...Its nice to see such a big Mopar following in your neck of the woods!
                              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Working...
                              X