Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here running a complete coilover conversion on a 2nd gen Camaro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here running a complete coilover conversion on a 2nd gen Camaro?

We picked up a pretty nice 1979 Z28 with 80k miles on it for my youngest son. I literally had forgotten how slow they were and what the handling was like. I've been looking at the conversion kit that has the tubular control arms, 4 link rear suspension with coilovers on all 4 corners to help improve the handling. Has anyone tried one of these, or have a better idea on how to get the handling up to snuff?
    Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

I loved my trans am handling with WS6 leaf springs .and either the 455 or 396 .......
    this the setup ? looks pricey

Comment

I've looked at that one as well, I'm hoping to find somebody with real world experience with one of these conversions so I have an idea of which one might be better. The plan is to do all the suspension upgrade and brakes and put on the 17" Z28 replica wheels, and then go the crate motor and beefed up tranny route. Nothing too stupid fast yet, as I'm sure his older brother will be helping him with that upgrade. I gave him a budget of 15k, after that, it's all on him. If I can figure out how to post a pic I'll show you the starting point.
      Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

No experience with those but man, I'd sure consider the urethane bushing-route front-and-back first, with fatter swaybars and shocks. Chevy mushed up a decent suspension so they could sell cars but there is still good potential there for starting out and learning a thing-or-two.

Not that I have anything against the trick stuff. I believe I'll be ending up with a similar "torque-arm" setup on my "mr. wheel-hop" El Camino, and have recently worked out such a setup on the front end of Gail's Cherokee with good results.

Comment

Originally posted by Loren View Post
          No experience with those but man, I'd sure consider the urethane bushing-route front-and-back first, with fatter swaybars and shocks. Chevy mushed up a decent suspension so they could sell cars but there is still good potential there for starting out and learning a thing-or-two.

Not that I have anything against the trick stuff. I believe I'll be ending up with a similar "torque-arm" setup on my "mr. wheel-hop" El Camino, and have recently worked out such a setup on the front end of Gail's Cherokee with good results.
          X2.Better wider tires and wheels..koni or bilstein shocks,and a beefier swaybar with poly bushings from a Trans am..and a new better steering box..maybe throw in some poly bushings for the frame mounts too.It should do the trick for awhile..

Comment

Basically this suspension is.under the rear of every 3rd and 4th gen F -body. And we.can tell you they handle great in the.corners.and.they plant the tires well drag racing. I would put WS6 bars and springs on first or get ahold of Gunstand ( someone help me with the spelling of that ) Dick did wonders with those cars.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

P.S. if you do it, is find one with a watts linkage instead of the panard bar.
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Dick Guldstrand?

Comment

Comment

yep that's the name.... What about a HotRods to Hell Truck arm suspension? I've read that that conversion and changing the front spindles to a type which uses C5 hubs an brakes (CPP) is a fairly cheap way to go with great results. Sounds like you got plenty of money, so ya might want to look at DSE... thier products have performed well at the autcross tracks....
                    Last edited by oldsman496; May 13, 2013, 09:26 AM.
                    Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Don't go poly urethane on any bushing that moves, unless you like SQUEAKS, I have them on my 79 Camaro & it squeaks every movement of the front suspension & I put plenty of the recommended lube on the bushings, sway bars can use poly bushings though.
                      My son's car 78 T/A will be for road course racing so we will be using tubular control arms either way the bushings that are highly recommended are del-rin (sp)there are lots of aftermarket stuff for these cars making handle with the best newer cars like vettes, stangs,etc.
                      Want to see how a second generation can handle google Mary Pozzi or you tube her she has a 73 ? Camaro that rips up the course.
                      "You want to lay the fate of the world on the kid's Camaro?
                      Ok that's cool"

Agent Simmons, from the Transformers movie

Comment

didnt Mike Copelands shop do a full suspension setup on Freiburgers E85 camaro ?
                        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

does anyone build their own cars anymore ? hahaha

Comment

Polyurethane is great when its freshly greased and brand new. But, after you drive it for several thousand miles, it clunks and rattles because it wears differently from rubber. When rubber bushings get old and used they get soft and squishy. When Poly bushing wear, one side will flatten out and bolt holes get oblong. They don't grip the metal part of the bushing anymore. So they clunk. Rubber just rides softer. but ifn' ya don't drive your car that much, Poly bushings are more responsive.
                            Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

del a lum bushings

Comment

Working...
                              X