Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here running a complete coilover conversion on a 2nd gen Camaro?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

chris ran herb adams VSE aluminum bushings in the front of his 80 trans am
    make the holes in control arm huge

Comment

I ran stiffer, lower springs, huge front sway bar and poly bushings for almost 10 years and 20,000+ miles on my 1970. Bushing never squeaked on me and the car not only handled well on 15" rubber, it rode softly too. All I would have changed were the shocks to something adjustable, the wheels to something in the 17-18" range and add a rear sway bar. I believe that all of the trick after-market suspension is more than 99% of people will ever need or use.

Then again, you have a $15,000 budget...
      1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
      1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

I had pretty good results with polyurethane on the El Camino, the front end at-least. I did grease the heck out of everything going in...forget what I used but it was not the recommended stuff. My worry about Del-a-Lum style is that they'd be too stiff, but never used them.

Does urethane deform around the bolt holes, over time? Probably.

Searching on Mary Pozzi's red Camaro would be good research. They had that thing hauling butt with the stock suspension layout, swore they would never change it, and then pulled it all out for trick fabricated stuff...so that history and their experiences might be something to follow. There isn't exactly a direct comparison...perhaps in deference to their sponsors, before and after...so we don't really get hard answers sometimes and you have to go through lots of pages and forum posts to get the picture thus I can't just post a single link.

Make the kid do all that research and present you a paper with plans, benefits and cost-and-labor comparisons before you give him the bucks for it.

Comment

The reason I'm looking at going the coil over route instead of just a beefed up stock suspension is to handle whatever he decides to do with it power wise down the road. My oldest son's truck that we did the body off on got the regular rebuild and brakes, but I wish we had gone with something a little more high tech.

And I know it seems kind of silly to throw out a 15k budget on a kid's first project car, but he turned out a little different than the other two kids. After skipping multiple grades, I was called into the superintendent's office and told to sign him up for the ACT cause there was really nothing that the public school system could offer him. So at the age of 12 he started college, and after tearing thru the first year and getting student of the year honors from one of the departments, a private foundation stepped up and has paid for his tuition, fees and all other related school costs. So the money we had saved for his education is going to be used for a different kind of learning. LOL
          Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

NICE!!

That's pretty awesome.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

X2

Comment

Does the C-5 hub swap change the width of the frontend?

**edit** And congrats on the smaht kid. Is he hiring? I need a new job.
                Last edited by Caveman Tony; May 18, 2013, 01:01 PM.
                Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
                  Does the C-5 hub swap change the width of the frontend?

**edit** And congrats on the smaht kid. Is he hiring? I need a new job.

From what I've been able to find, yes but it's a small amount, like .5 inch. Not sure whether that would require any mods or not.

He might be, but I would be the last to know. He does his own thing, he pretty much comes and goes as he pleases, he just keeps his college i.d. on him with his debit card at all times in case anyone wants to know why he isn't in middle school. My wife hates it that I have given him so much freedom, but like I told her, what else am I suppose to do? Whatever we have done so far seems to be working, so if he decides to spend the night during the week with one of his own age friends and play video games, he knows he still has to be at college at the normal time and he gets it done.

On a funny note, he is a little, as in small for his age, kid. One day out at the college he was carrying his backpack between classes, this older lady saw him kind of struggling cause it was so heavy and walked up to him and said. "Your Mom is really mean to make you carry her books for her." He didn't even try to correct her cause he knew it would have killed time he didn't have.
                  Nitrous is like that hot chick with crabs. you want to hit it, you're just afraid of the consequences

Comment

Working...
                  X