Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DVD movie projector bulb upgrade? Replace Halogen with LED?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVD movie projector bulb upgrade? Replace Halogen with LED?

So our boys' projector lost the bulb last weekend.

Its just a cheap thing that hooks to the (cheap) DVD player to play movies on the ceiling for kicks.

It uses a simple MR16 12v50w bulb for illumination - and a fairly serious fan to keep the thing cool. Its a few years old by now, and was surely built before the same style/rating bulb was available in LED.

What actually burns out the bulb is unplugging it instead of turning it off. It needs to cool down on its own before killing the power. Can't be mad, their friend didn't know and he was the last one awake, so he was being responsible and unplugged it.

Will the projector actually still work if I substitute a LED bulb?

Here is the LED bulb http://www.amazon.com/MR16-4W-Equiva...ords=MR16+BULB

And here is the Halogen http://www.amazon.com/Plusrite-3247-...ords=MR16+BULB
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

I guess you could try and see. But only buy one instead of 8 of them?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

led is half wave..
      it may be noticeable pretending a moving frame.

maybe two led in one bulb, two half waves rectified. simulate an old bulb.

may not even be noticeable, but its the first thing I thought of.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Buying one of each, halogen and LED. Curiousity is killing me.

Comment

I just realized I never followed up on this.....the led bulb did a pretty darn good job, but is not quite as bright as the halogen.

My recommendation - use the halogen, unless your kids are really rough on stuff. In that case, use the led and if they complain about it tell them it wouldn't be an issue if they were more careful.

Comment

Interesting indeed - I hate halogens with a passion because they run so hot. I've been getting LEDs for here and there - like outside porch lights that are likely to be left on. They're not a light I'd want to read by (the really low wattage ones) but they throw a nice light for the purpose and are basically free to run (consuming something like 2-3 watts)
            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
            X