School me up on the Ford 2.3L Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me up on the Ford 2.3L Turbo

Specifically the mid-80s efi 2.3L Turbo motors. I'm thinking that it might make a good choice to swap into the MGB shell I'm picking up tomorrow. I can pick up a running donor car with a 5-spd for a surprisingly low amount of money and it's tempting.

BUT, I'm already set to pick up a TH400 tomorrow to run with my 6.0L.
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

TONS of aftermarket support, STUPID big power can be had from them.

Esslinger Engineering is one of the big dogs for tweaking the 2.3

Be an excellent choice for that car. Actually, it would be an excellent choice for the TR7...........where exactly is that cheap donor car?
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Look for 87-88 turbo coupe. From what little bit I've looked up they are better. Look up stinger. They make a slew of parts. Boport.
      Jeff
      Follow My Build

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
        TONS of aftermarket support, STUPID big power can be had from them.

Esslinger Engineering is one of the big dogs for tweaking the 2.3

Be an excellent choice for that car. Actually, it would be an excellent choice for the TR7...........where exactly is that cheap donor car?
        Thanks for pointing them out. I'm still not 100% sold on the idea, it's just a thought as I can pick up a 1986 Turbo Coupe for $1,000 that runs perfectly. Strip out what I want- engine, trans, wire harness, maybe even the seats, etc- and sell the hulk to a scrapper for $250. I think I may stick with my guns with the 6.0L though...but the turbo 4/5-spd combo is interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
          Look for 87-88 turbo coupe. From what little bit I've looked up they are better. Look up stinger. They make a slew of parts. Boport.
          Visited their site, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Comment

You'll probably be happier with the 6.0 in the MGB than the Turbo Coupe mill.

To make any real power out of the 2.3 (i.e. more than 450), you'll be spending a fair amount with Bosport, Esslinger and others to replace the intake and exhaust, turbo, fuel injectors, cam, rods and pistons (at a minimum) . . . and you'll have to port or replace the head. You'll also have to go with a Megasquirt, Tweecer, Moates, or some other tunable EFI set-up.

Big power is possible from the 2.3, but it's not really all that cheap in comparison to falling off a log grunt available with the "LESS" (That's quite the admission from a Ford fanatic)

Comment

Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
              Look for 87-88 turbo coupe. From what little bit I've looked up they are better..
              I'm not sure I agree. Up to 300-325 h.p., the T3 turbo on the 83-86 is much better than the tiny IHI on the 87-88. Intakes are better on the 87-88 than the early TCs (83-84). Short block, heads and exhaust manifolds are a toss-up. Of course, the 87-88 has a better computer and a tiny intercooler.

If you're going for serious power, there's really no particular advantage to the 87-88 over the 83-86, because you'll be upgrading parts anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                You'll probably be happier with the 6.0 in the MGB than the Turbo Coupe mill.

Big power is possible from the 2.3, but it's not really all that cheap in comparison to falling off a log grunt available with the "LESS" (That's quite the admission from a Ford fanatic)
                Yes that is.
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 14, 2013, 01:30 PM.
                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I CAN be objective . . . occasionally.

Comment

2.0 ecotec turrbooooo from a SOLSTICE GXP would be sick

or a dodge sprint car 4 ?
                    Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; May 14, 2013, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                      2.0 ecotec turrbooooo from a SOLSTICE GXP would be EXPENSIVE

or a dodge sprint car 4 ?
                      Fixed it.

The dude wants a light car for the LS he's already bought . . . the MGB will work for that.

Comment

mgb and big motor.

those cars can't carry a 300 pound uncle, let alone one that torques.

I remember the 2.3 turbo, they were so conservative, fat air of texas almosy made them seem worthwhile. up north wher I am, totally uselss. A carbed mustang 2.3 could beat it. pathetic.

there is a simple hack on the wastegate, the 300 pound mgb would be fun. Then there is big bucks like any engine you want to kamikaze, do whatever you want for power.

I was recently looking at those 914 hacks, and still think the same, replicate in a much better way than where they left it off...maybe a wtercooled tuned version of what once was.

those mgb are even smaller when it comes to holding a torque number.

why hurt yourself, if an old nova is not considered a tiny chassis for 6 liters, strange scale of self hurting life one leads.

Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                          Fixed it.

The dude wants a light car for the LS he's already bought . . . the MGB will work for that.
                          I was going to say the same thing. Just a bit too expensive. I'm not above trading or selling the 6.0L for something interesting, but the plan as of now is pretty simple. MGB shell, plus 6.0L and a TH400. Car already has a Chrysler 8-3/4". So it is pretty much your basic Chevy engine in a small car hot-rod. Just ran across an ad for a Turbo Coupe and was intrigued.

Also, did you take your nice meds today or something?

Want to buy a T-bird? LOL.

Comment

2.3 in the MG, 6.0 in the turbo coupe, problem solved
                            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

the mg b had a squeeze for a 215 ...but I have seen LS mazda Miatas lately

Comment

Working...
                              X