Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970camaroRS
    replied
    And I just found another 1985 Turbo Coupe for $400 with a hurt motor. Tempting since I would likely rebuild the other one.

Leave a comment:

• 1970camaroRS
    replied
    In light of recent events, I'm revisiting this idea. Here's the economics of my thought.

Sell upgraded LQ4 6.0L - $1500
    Sell TH400 - $400
    Sell '66 T-Bird - $1,500
    Total - $3,400

Buy a mid-eighties Turbo Coupe and use it as a donor car. Take the 5-spd, 2.3L turbo, maybe the seats and whatever else. Eye-balling one right now; it's a runner for $1,200. I would sell the rest for scrap +$250.

That leaves me with $2450 for suspension and all of the what-nots.

So, stick with the V8-TH400 build that will take me forever to get the chassis done, or pursue plan B?
    Last edited by 1970camaroRS; May 20, 2013, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Holmes
    replied
    The 2.3t is a lot of fun. Lots of parts, plenty of support.

But, the stock head sucks, it needs a cam change, needs a bunch more intercooling. The bottom end is damn near indestructible, all the work needs to be done to make it breathe.

Watch out, they can be addictive...I've got 5.

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    the mg b had a squeeze for a 215 ...but I have seen LS mazda Miatas lately

Leave a comment:

• BOOOGHAR
    replied
    2.3 in the MG, 6.0 in the turbo coupe, problem solved

Leave a comment:

• 1970camaroRS
    replied
    Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
    Fixed it.

The dude wants a light car for the LS he's already bought . . . the MGB will work for that.
    I was going to say the same thing. Just a bit too expensive. I'm not above trading or selling the 6.0L for something interesting, but the plan as of now is pretty simple. MGB shell, plus 6.0L and a TH400. Car already has a Chrysler 8-3/4". So it is pretty much your basic Chevy engine in a small car hot-rod. Just ran across an ad for a Turbo Coupe and was intrigued.

Also, did you take your nice meds today or something?

Want to buy a T-bird? LOL.

Leave a comment:

• Barry Donovan
    replied
    mgb and big motor.

those cars can't carry a 300 pound uncle, let alone one that torques.

I remember the 2.3 turbo, they were so conservative, fat air of texas almosy made them seem worthwhile. up north wher I am, totally uselss. A carbed mustang 2.3 could beat it. pathetic.

there is a simple hack on the wastegate, the 300 pound mgb would be fun. Then there is big bucks like any engine you want to kamikaze, do whatever you want for power.

I was recently looking at those 914 hacks, and still think the same, replicate in a much better way than where they left it off...maybe a wtercooled tuned version of what once was.

those mgb are even smaller when it comes to holding a torque number.

why hurt yourself, if an old nova is not considered a tiny chassis for 6 liters, strange scale of self hurting life one leads.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
    2.0 ecotec turrbooooo from a SOLSTICE GXP would be EXPENSIVE

or a dodge sprint car 4 ?
    Fixed it.

The dude wants a light car for the LS he's already bought . . . the MGB will work for that.

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied
    2.0 ecotec turrbooooo from a SOLSTICE GXP would be sick

or a dodge sprint car 4 ?
    Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; May 14, 2013, 01:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    I CAN be objective . . . occasionally.

Leave a comment:

• TheSilverBuick
    replied
    Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
    You'll probably be happier with the 6.0 in the MGB than the Turbo Coupe mill.

Big power is possible from the 2.3, but it's not really all that cheap in comparison to falling off a log grunt available with the "LESS" (That's quite the admission from a Ford fanatic)
    Yes that is.
    Last edited by TheSilverBuick; May 14, 2013, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
    Look for 87-88 turbo coupe. From what little bit I've looked up they are better..
    I'm not sure I agree. Up to 300-325 h.p., the T3 turbo on the 83-86 is much better than the tiny IHI on the 87-88. Intakes are better on the 87-88 than the early TCs (83-84). Short block, heads and exhaust manifolds are a toss-up. Of course, the 87-88 has a better computer and a tiny intercooler.

If you're going for serious power, there's really no particular advantage to the 87-88 over the 83-86, because you'll be upgrading parts anyway.

Leave a comment:

• 38P
    replied
    You'll probably be happier with the 6.0 in the MGB than the Turbo Coupe mill.

To make any real power out of the 2.3 (i.e. more than 450), you'll be spending a fair amount with Bosport, Esslinger and others to replace the intake and exhaust, turbo, fuel injectors, cam, rods and pistons (at a minimum) . . . and you'll have to port or replace the head. You'll also have to go with a Megasquirt, Tweecer, Moates, or some other tunable EFI set-up.

Big power is possible from the 2.3, but it's not really all that cheap in comparison to falling off a log grunt available with the "LESS" (That's quite the admission from a Ford fanatic)

Leave a comment:

• 1970camaroRS
    replied
    Originally posted by 1trickpony View Post
    Look for 87-88 turbo coupe. From what little bit I've looked up they are better. Look up stinger. They make a slew of parts. Boport.
    Visited their site, that's exactly what I was looking for.

Leave a comment:

• 1970camaroRS
    replied
    Originally posted by STINEY View Post
    TONS of aftermarket support, STUPID big power can be had from them.

Esslinger Engineering is one of the big dogs for tweaking the 2.3

Be an excellent choice for that car. Actually, it would be an excellent choice for the TR7...........where exactly is that cheap donor car?
    Thanks for pointing them out. I'm still not 100% sold on the idea, it's just a thought as I can pick up a 1986 Turbo Coupe for $1,000 that runs perfectly. Strip out what I want- engine, trans, wire harness, maybe even the seats, etc- and sell the hulk to a scrapper for $250. I think I may stick with my guns with the 6.0L though...but the turbo 4/5-spd combo is interesting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X