Chevy Cam Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chevy Cam Test

So, another day on the job last Wednesday we were running some roller cams in a 454 for a PHR story. Hunkins comes in to shoot pics and decides to pick up some video while he was at it. I was pretty surprised to see it up here on the world famous BS Blog. Thanks, Brian.

Not used to shooting video while doing tech stories for print. JH just shot that on his I phone between stills. What do you guys think, worth it? I'd welcome any comments or suggestions.
    -dulcich
    Last edited by dulcich; May 15, 2013, 03:20 PM.

that was awesome, I watched it on you tube the other day.

I apply v8 stuff to everything. Tried and true.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Tell Hunkins he sounds like Spicoli... kinda... stoned. haha. He sounds like me talking, so I'm teasing him. I'm not stoned either.

You guys need a noise cancelling microphone, the echo was bad. It was cool and about like a magazine article, time was about right, content was PHR type I guess cuz you didn't get too deep into cam theory but covered things a guy buying a cam from Summit might want to know.

Do an Engine Masters level discussion? Cam 102... I'd love to see more detail. Pretty cool mule motor btw.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I liked it. Would have loved more info, like which AFR heads those were - but I guess you have to save some tidbits for the magazine article so people will buy the magazine.

What I really got out of it is that if I ever make the change from small block to big block, a 454 is plenty of motor with the right heads and camshaft; one doesn't NEED to make it a stroker to make some serious torque and horsepower.

Comment

We used AFR's 265 oval port heads. These are pretty small on port volume by Big Block Chevy standards, but flow good enough to be able to use the extra cam timing as we stepped up the cams. They made super torque; with the smallest cam we had 540 lb-ft at just 3000 rpm, and peaked at 587. Probably more torque than you can use with a typical street car. I agree with the good heads cam and compression you don't need mega cubes, just let it eat up top. That's what I'm going to do on the big block Mopar for my old Charger, just let the rpm's use up the heads.
          -dulcich

BTW, Hunkins is just like Spicoly... except for the super cool persona... well, chick don't flock to him... the long locs are long gone... nope on the reckless substance abuse. Dude does play a mean guitar though.

Comment

truck motor ?

Comment

this thread and no ford is like...

Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                truck motor ?
                With the small cam it is less radical than my '72 D100 (real) farm truck.

Only thing is I'm down about 150 hp... Need a 440.
                -dulcich

Comment

Dulcich, I thought it was pretty damn good.

Not too shabby for an off-the-cuff tech vid.

You guys should do more, dude.

BTW, how's your dyno room comin' along?
                  Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
                    With the small cam it is less radical than my '72 D100 (real) farm truck.

Only thing is I'm down about 150 hp... Need a 440.
                    -dulcich
                    Tony said it - you've practiced your conversation. It's damn sure not like listening to the idiot on two guys garage, I think you know which one I mean.

We kinda got shafted on the rest of the truck story man. 360? Thrust bearing on the 318? hangin high and dry. lol.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I can tell at this point your not in your comfort zone. At the beginning ,your voice ,at least on my computer quivered a little. And when you were handling the paper your fingers were trembling a little. But when your hands were firmly on the valve covers they were fine.Realize though that none of use expect you to come across as those two guys from that other magazine. Keep it up and you'll get used to use to the 3-4 million watching your every move. Just pretend we're sitting here in our underwear .I hear it helps. LOL
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                        Tony said it - you've practiced your conversation. It's damn sure not like listening to the idiot on two guys garage, I think you know which one I mean.

We kinda got shafted on the rest of the truck story man. 360? Thrust bearing on the 318? hangin high and dry. lol.
                        Sorry, Beagle,
                        I pulled the 318 right after the thrust bearing went out and then pulled the 360 that was in my 5th Avenue. That was a pretty good 360, about 450hp; Scott Liggett would know it well from our grudge night at Famoso. Smog was just too much a hassle with the 5th, so I hadn't registered it in several years. I just changed the oil pan on the 360 and cleaned it up some, then dropped it in the truck.

The thrust surface on the 318 crank was pretty badly hashed, but I had my pal Bryce Mulvey send it to Castillio's. It just recently got fixed so I can put the 318 back together, but no plans to swap out the 360 right now.
                        -dulcich

BTW, why fix the 318 crank? That would be a very good question. It is actually a steel crank from an early 273, I had about of a day of setting up and machining to open up the toque converter hub register for a regular later Mopar torque converter pilot. That, and I had a nice balance job in it, so fixing it seemed worthwhile.
                        Last edited by dulcich; May 18, 2013, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Good observations, HoosierL98GTA. I wasn't expecting to do video or talk about the test, but Hunkins pulled out his camera and just started shooting some stuff. No crew, video guy, script, or re-takes; Seems the company is encouraging shooting video.
                          -d

Comment

Sorry, Beagle,
                            I pulled the 318 right after the thrust bearing went out and then pulled the 360 that was in my 5th Avenue. That was a pretty good 360, about 450hp; Scott Liggett would know it well from our grudge night at Famoso. Smog was just too much a hassle with the 5th, so I hadn't registered it in several years. I just changed the oil pan on the 360 and cleaned it up some, then dropped it in the truck.

The thrust surface on the 318 crank was pretty badly hashed, but I had my pal Bryce Mulvey send it to Castillio's. It just recently got fixed so I can put the 318 back together, but no plans to swap out the 360 right now.
                            -dulcich

BTW, why fix the 318 crank? That would be a very good question. It is actually a steel crank from an early 273, I had about of a day of setting up and machining to open up the toque converter hub register for a regular later Mopar torque converter pilot. That, and I had a nice balance job in it, so fixing it seemed worthwhile.
                            Yes, you built a bitchin 360. If I ever built a mopar, I would be filling up your inbox with questions.

These days it's easier to get an illegal smog cert than it is to get one done legally.
                            BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Good observations, HoosierL98GTA. I wasn't expecting to do video or talk about the test, but Hunkins pulled out his camera and just started shooting some stuff. No crew, video guy, script, or re-takes; Seems the company is encouraging shooting video.
                              -d
                              You'll get used to it. Hang in there. Great first attempt.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X