Fiber glass decklid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiber glass decklid

What are some ways to put a fiber glass trunk lid on that is easy n looks good and they now it will work for sure

Anyone

Dzus fasteners ...
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

you usually want some weight over the rear tires

Comment

Ok would they be a pain in the ass to put on a fiberglass deck lid tho

Comment

might depend on what it is you're working on. Give us a clue?
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It's a Monte Carlo fiberglass trunk lid

Comment

It's for a 87 Monte Carlo

Comment

I have Dzus on mine yo u can glass in a couple of blocks and put them to the factory hinges then put fasteners on just the lower part
                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                  What are some ways to put a fiber glass trunk lid on that is easy n looks good and they now it will work for sure

Anyone
                  Easy AND looks good? If you are trying to fabricate something rather than simply installing it as it is supposed to be installed , you may have to choose easy or looks good.

We need more info to give you specific ideas or suggestions.
                  The better you can explain what you have and what you are trying to do, the more specific we could be in helping you.

Pictures would be a big help.

Comment

I am not sure I'd do this on a real "street car" ... you don't gain much and you lose a ton of security. Something like a GT mustang where the back deck is HUGE is a little different but still not something I'd want on a full time street car. Race weight fiberglass is not like a 'vette or a boat, it's not going to tolerate much b.s.

let's say you do it anyway and get it attached to the hinges, don't forget to remove the spring or you may buckle it when you go to close it. Also, if you were to fab up some kind of GM style loop for it, you could get a Lincoln or Cadillac style lock where it brings it down slowly the last inch and you don't have to slam it to close it. I'd put the loop/catch on the trunk deck and the mechanism on the bulkhead if I were hell bent to do this.

I'd also think about a remote operated release or cable release if your MC doesn't have it already and forget about the external lock.
                    Last edited by Beagle; May 17, 2013, 01:09 PM.
                    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Working...
                    X