Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

street racing bust, North Carolina - 12 racers arrested...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• street racing bust, North Carolina - 12 racers arrested...

http://news14.com/Default.aspx?ArID=596659 :'(

Re: street racing bust, North Carolina - 12 racers arrested...

im all for catching people doing stupid crap on the highways, but it seems to me like when i need a cop they are never around.. probably because they are doing month long undercover missions to catch twelve people street racing...(it killed 4 people years ago it says in the article, not like the 4,000+ that drunks probably kill a year in that state, better get right on this dangerous thing) l could catch 12 people street racing in TEN MINUTES. set up a speed trap at a stoplight in the "loop" downtown, thats one idea for starters..other then that, follow that long train of ricers headed out of town at warp factor 2. should be easy, they have underbody glow, loud weedwhacker mufflers, and drive like circus monkeys on crack. you could use a marked crown vic even, they cant see behind them though the big ass wing, and they dont look behind them anyways.. you want video of em bragging about the races? want to impound their cars too? easily done, they show off for the cameras!

every officer involved in this from the bottom to the top needs to find a new line of work, its absolutely ignorant to waste a month setting up 12 people, when you could catch dozens in minutes on any given weekend.

Comment

I kindly disagree... Obviously in my youth I played street racer... went to jail twice over it... ( mostly cause they knew my Dad who was also a cop )... price of doing business...

It is what it is... they had a problem with street racing... and the took care of it...

Fair enough...

Keith

Comment

North Carolina has LOTS of drag strips, so these guys can head off to one of them and duke it out if that's the motivation. There are 3 within a fairly short drive of my place (Wilmington) and Maxton is 2 hours away. The Raleigh area is similarly endowed. So they asked for it, and got it.

I want to take a minute to thank the author of the article. Please note that nowhere in the article did s/he refer to this racing as "Drag Racing" but rather used the term "Street Racing". Good job! As I've written to news directors everywhere I've lived, the NHRA, AHRA, IHRA, and others have worked for 60 years to differentiate between the two and help the general public distinguish between some jerk on the public roads endangering innocent folks, and responsible people pursuing a legitimate hobby on a closed race course.

Sorry this action was necessary, but glad they did it. Hopefully these folks will drive to the nearest race track the next time they want to exercise their macho. The tickets and jail time are both pricey. Now maybe the cops can get on with other activities, like catching drunks. BTW - in NC, if you see someone driving erratically, call the ST's on your cell - they'll be there instantly. I suspect this applies around the country. They don't like that any better than we do.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
          I kindly disagree... Obviously in my youth I played street racer... went to jail twice over it... ( mostly cause they knew my Dad who was also a cop )... price of doing business...

It is what it is... they had a problem with street racing... and the took care of it...

Fair enough...

Keith
          Keith I agree totally. As for what Dan said about local strips you can drive an hour or less in at least three directions from where these folks were arrested and find an active drag strip. No excuses.

Comment

I agree -- put 'em in jail for as long as it takes to get their attention.

This year alone in little Grand Rapids, MI we had a nasty street racing accident in front of my kid's elementary school a block from my house. One innocent was in the ICU for several weeks.

A month later a girl on the other side of town was killed after she rolled her car while street racing. No seat belt on, thrown from the car at over 100 MPH, and died after a week in a coma.

Sad when people value an adrenaline rush over their own or other's lives. Waste of life.

Comment

Like Keith said, I street raced for about 10 years.

Came to the realization that it was stupid, and kept it only on the racetrack.

Comment

i think a month long investigation to catch 12 street racers is rediculous. am i the only one that thinks this way? im not saying that street racing is ok, but damn, ricers are like shooting fish in a barrel, they could really catch alot of em if they were so inclined..

Comment

If I were a cop, I'd find people who'm I knew that were into cars,
                  find out where the racers hang out, video it, and arrest them.

It would take, maybe 3 weeks, tops.

Comment

So it took them 4 weeks... keep in mind there are Donuts involved as well... and that takes "some" amount of time and effort when done correctly.

K

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                      So it took them 4 weeks... keep in mind there are Donuts involved as well... and that takes "some" amount of time and effort when done correctly.

K

And coffee, which requires many visits to the restroom. ;D

Comment

To Dan's point about it being called "street racing" as opposed to "illegal drag racing", I got to speak with a newspaper editor after a street racing death up in this neck of the woods a couple of years ago.

I asked him why they called it "illegal drag racing" instead of street racing.

He said that there wasn't a difference.

I asked him why, then, when someone is beaten to death on the sidewalk they don't call it an "illegal boxing match".

He honestly thought about it for a minute and said....jeez, I guess you have a point there. The paper has been calling it "street racing" from shortly thereafter on.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk to the guy, but it is annoying.

Those 12 idiots get whatever Beaufort T Justice decides to throw at them.

Brian
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.
                          Cognizant Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            To Dan's point about it being called "street racing" as opposed to "illegal drag racing", I got to speak with a newspaper editor after a street racing death up in this neck of the woods a couple of years ago.

I asked him why they called it "illegal drag racing" instead of street racing.

He said that there wasn't a difference.

I asked him why, then, when someone is beaten to death on the sidewalk they don't call it an "illegal boxing match".

He honestly thought about it for a minute and said....jeez, I guess you have a point there. The paper has been calling it "street racing" from shortly thereafter on.

I wasn't trying to be a jerk to the guy, but it is annoying.

Those 12 idiots get whatever Beaufort T Justice decides to throw at them.

Brian
                            Well said Brian! You are EXACTLY right, that is a good analogy.

On the two incidents here in Michigan the news stations mostly got it right . . . one station actually interviewed the General Manager from US131 Motorsports Park and let him explain the difference between street racing and drag racing. Some of the locals just don't get it though.

Comment

Originally posted by hamrmech
                              i think a month long investigation to catch 12 street racers is rediculous. am i the only one that thinks this way? im not saying that street racing is ok, but damn, ricers are like shooting fish in a barrel, they could really catch alot of em if they were so inclined..
                              This isn't TV where law enforcement solves every crime within an hour. I don't understand the fixation with how long it took to catch these people. Why is it so ridiculous? There lots of cases on the books that involve far fewer than twelve people and they have not been solved in years. Also remember just like every street rodder in the '50's wasn't a street racer, neither is every ricer. There is more to it than just going out and arresting a bunch of folks because they drive a Honda, or some such thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X