Top Five Oil Companies Net 556 Billion from 2001-2007

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Five Oil Companies Net 556 Billion from 2001-2007

I found this article which states the profits that oil companies have made over the last 6 years. It also shows how much per barrel it cost to extract and ship a barrel of oil(less than 10 bucks). And it also tells how much per barrel of oil it costs to explore and develop an oil field range.

And by the way in 2007 Exxon/Mobile NETTED 40.6 billion dollars, and with them breaking their previous profits every quarter you can count on them netting closer to 50 billion in 2008.

Here's the article.

Re: Top Five Oil Companies Net 556 Billion from 2001-2007

Why do us little guys get mad when a company makes a profit? How much profit is allowed before they become evil? If my boss didn't make a profit every month; I'd be out of a job. It's not like one guy pockets all those billions. The normal people who own their stock shares are the ones collecting. So maybe, we should buy stock in all these evil companies and get our share of these billions.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

There's nothing wrong with companies making a profit.

But when the oil companies hike the retail price way up because were told the wholesale has risen, and then they boast record profits, don't you get just a little suspicious?

I certainly do. I'm convinced we're all getting ripped.

Comment

There are only 4 major fuel suppliers in Australia.

They seem to be able to collude to artificially & illegally hike pump prices (especially at vacation periods) & the Government has been unable to do much but just warn & watch.

There is a lack of competition. The Government is proposing the introduction of a 5th major player to increase competition & drive the pump price down.

Comment

The unfortunate reality of course is that lower pump prices will not encourage us to control/reduce our consumption & this dwindling resource will be depleted before functional alternative energy sources are in place. :'( :'( EDIT: .....but more importantly Steve's Camaro resto will have been in vain 8)

It wouldn't be a bad idea for each of us to get our own slice of the pie & buy up fuel company stocks...while the industry is still here. $$$ kaaa-ching !!

Comment

How much profit is in a cup of Starbucks, or bottled water?

How much money does the Government make and waste with no return, now there is a big case of collusion its called Taxes

2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

It's still only about a 10% profit margin.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

On margins and bottled wated.

I used to be in that industry. The margins on bottled water are slightly better than 10%

The company I worked for had an "all in" cost of a 5 gallon bottle of water (the kind you put on a water cooler) of about $1.95. That included the water in the bottle, the bottle, the bottling expenses, and all associated delivery costs.

We were charging $8.99 (list price) a bottle when I left the company.

Do the math on that.

Brian
                That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

2nd that !
                  I worked for a carbonated soft drink/pop company(that I won't promote here) & the cost to a restaurant was $AU2c per glass from their postmix syrup machine.

Ample profits.... see why bars love to have female bums on seats ?
                  they love to top up girlie favourite mixed drinks @ max profit.

The McArches can afford their topups too.

Comment

Nothing wrong with profit. If it's earned honestly and legally. 10 - 20% really isn't out of line if you want to survive.

And while there are plenty of big companies that like to blur the line between business and crime, I'm not so sure the petroleum industry is among them. Too many people watching them for one thing. One also needs to remember the oil companies also employ a lot of people - most of which are among the few decent paying jobs left.

If you want to look for evil in the price of fuel, you might want to look at the market speculators who make their money from toying with the lives of others. Now there's a bunch of fat cats who are sitting on piles of money for no reason other than to have it - and to make sure that others can't have it. It's those guys that have forcing the price of the raw materials up lately...and the producers/retailers have been passing those costs on.

Comment

I wish my company had profit margins like that....

Maybe then I would get my profit sharing ;D

When governments start controlling profit margins we all have a lot to worry about...

Seth
                      200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I had a very difficult economics class in college, I hated it and learned a ton at the same time.
                        In a free market, It’s all about supply and demand. If the price of ANYTHING goes up, and consumption does not change, the market can sustain the higher price. Typically prices go up until demand drops slightly, like setting timing on an engine, you keep advancing it until it pings then backing it off some.

The oil companies raise the price and people bitch but still use the same amount, only when consumption goes down will the price stabilize.

Comment

I'll throw this out there.....

What about all of the tax that our gov't throws on a gallon of fuel. I'm ok with paying tax, but then they ask for seperate tax increases ( vehicle registration, ect) to pay for road improvements. Isn't that what a good portion of the fuel tax is for?

Another factor is the investors. Seems like if the wind blows a certain direction....price of oil fluctuates, but, price never seems to go down at the pump when crude drops. They can sure raise it overnite, but it takes weeks/months to come down.
                          Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

The only windfall profit is the tax on a gallon of gas, its the only non-value cost added part of it.
                            2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                            First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                            2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                            2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                            X