I can't win for losing ....alot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't win for losing ....alot.

I've been on the verge of having the T/A on the road for weeks. Even drove it around the block once. (4 miles ) But before putting it back in the fleet I want a working temp gage. Well the factory one won't work so, I decided to put a old Autometer Ultralite gage in it. Well that hole in the trans tunnel that I did such a great job of welding upp with a big washer last week I now needed to enlarge the hole to almost an inch.Bored a hole back in it to run the sender through. Yeah now for some reason when I tighten the nut down the nut, you can push and pull the sender back and forth . Lets water out like crazy.Thing was a bear since it is on the air conditioner side. So then I think, no big deal I'll just use the the other head where it is more towards the front. That sender hole isn't being used for anything so it has a plug in it . I go to tap a 3/8 inch extension into it. Won't fit.I't just a little to big. So then I go to Sears to find a socket with a square end. Hey , I figure it there are allen and torxs ends then there must be square ones. None there. Go across the street to Harbor Freight none. About to leave, rain starts pouring. What a waste of a day. Good thing I don't have money....I'd through in the towel and by a 2010 Camaro SS.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

You need the fitting that the temp probe seats into. Auto Meter sells them. I used PN 2263 for the 3/8" one. It has a big tapered seat in it that seals and locks the probe in. Without that or the 1/2" fitting you are boned.

Sorry that your day sucked! I have had a few of them with Buford and walked away for a couple just to keep from getting pissed.

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

If you can't find one I have a spare or two I can drop in a flat rate envelope.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	socket.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	870016I'm not surprised on the 8 point sockets - I had a hard time finding them 30 years ago. I believe your best bet for an in hand purchase is the tool truck boys. Sears has them, but you probably have to catalog order it.

The Sears "Universal" socket set is supposed to make contact on a 4 point, but I've never tried it.

Hang in there on the car, almost there!
        Last edited by Beagle; May 18, 2013, 03:13 AM.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

We got the Craftsman Universal and MaxAccess sets for just such occasions... Helps when we go to the local u-pull yard...
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
            I go to tap a 3/8 inch extension into it. Won't fit.I't just a little to big.
            That's where you go get a cheapo extension that came with some socket set you lost half of years ago, and grind it down a little so it fits. Then drop into your "specials" drawer when you're done.

Some days are just like a slog in the mud, you put out the effort and got nowhere. But the next morning, you get to start fresh and you're ahead of where you would have been.

Comment

Some days are like that. I know you'll work it thru.

Dan

Comment

Looks like Brian is right, somewhere between the last car I had the gage in, the mounting nut, was lost. I went down to Automotion speed shop where they sell those gages and picked up the nut. Hopefully the right one. Also picked up some rachet drive adaptors and will try to get that block off plug in the drivers side head out. I can gring them down as needed. I did this with a brocken cheap 1/2 inch drive extension the other day but by the time I got it down to where I needed it, It had gotten too soft and just twisted. Well 2:40 my time and I have for high school grags open houses to go to. I'll check back in tomorrow and let you know how it goes. I've had stuff like this going on for months with this car and had just been saying "oh well " and getting back to it when I could and not letting it bother me. Yesterday was about it though. Thanks for the tech help everyone. And also for the free shrink service.lol
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Stay after that rascal!
                  Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Gage is working. Now to get at least one of the two fans to kick on. We're getting there.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Test the relays...I fought that essobee on the '84 H.O. Z28 I had years ago(juice fan was part of the H.O. package).

You'll get it there...take time, just not shortcuts.

Comment

Working...
                      X