Autocross Tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autocross Tomorrow

Finally, I have something nearly on-topic.

What was that line from the movie Gran Prix, something like, "For those of us who do it, racing is living. Everything else is just waiting."

I'm waiting. BSing my way along on BangShift because that's fun too.

Red's ready. I'm ready. We're waiting to run through cones tomorrow. Here's the course:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Autocross.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	880076
    It goes clockwise.

This is going to be a test of the driver. I KNOW Red's set up to do it. And I'm sitting here thinking I'll blow everybody's doors off because....I know Red can do it. My confidence comes from ignorance. There's folks there in really hot cars who have a whole lot of experience at it, and I've gone none whatsoever.

We'll see. The thing is, tomorrow I'm actually going to go out and do something. With the car. And get video and still shots of it.

Film at eleven.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Poor cones .
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Orange95Z View Post
      Poor cones .
      HAHAHAHA!!! Unit just said, that's why they're made out of rubber!

Should I not post the video, will that be too much graphic violence on BangShift?

Comment

Steve McQueen in LeMan: "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."
        I'm still learning

Comment

Post it, I got a strong stomach. lol
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Holmes View Post
            Steve McQueen in LeMan: "Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting."
            Oh. See, I even had the wrong movie.

Bob, you've been an influence on me as everyone else here has too.

So if I turn Red over tomorrow and skid on his lid, I'll crawl out from underneath saying, "That dang Bob Holmes, he didn't TELL me that was too fast for that corner!"

EDIT: Look at the back straightaway on the map of the course. I'm no judge of distance at all, those lines are parking places in a parking lot. But I'm thinking maybe 80 or 90 mph on the back straight before I really get to try Red's new fancy brakes for the first time with a real reason. Ohhhh this oughta be fun. I can't wait. Is it daylight tomorrow yet?
            Last edited by pdub; May 18, 2013, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
              Finally, I have something nearly on-topic.

Whooaaaa.... Dude, why start now?

lol, j/k.

Have fun murderin' cones, brutha...
              Yes, I'm a CarJunkie... How many times would YOU rebuild the same engine before getting a crate motor?

Comment

Originally posted by peewee View Post
                HAHAHAHA!!! Unit just said, that's why they're made out of rubber!

Should I not post the video, will that be too much graphic violence on BangShift?
                yes post vid, the same mount you had on the landspeed one. Nice niew and sound.

reminds me to go through my pile to make one.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Ammo set a record tomorrow, a track record. Red's gonna go fast. Does anybody wanna bet, or would you rather buy a lottery ticket? Tonight, I'm going to set a track record tomorrow.

Take into account that I've been drinking today, and I'm also stupid. And old. But I'm gonna set a record tomorrow. Just you watch. It might be the record for being the most stupid, but I'll hang that one on the wall. Proudly. It's taken a long time to earn it.

Comment

Hope all goes well . And since I'm low on excitement we bought 2 powerball tickets on the way home from the 4 open houses I just went to this afternoon. So I'm good with no video till tomorrow after 1. But if I win you'll has a little more time as I'll be on my new boat on the way down the rivers heading to the Caribbean.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I'm waiting to hear how pissed the cone shuckers were pissed at you for making them run all over the place.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I want to hear about a 90mph autocross in a parking lot.
                        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

The fastest you will see is about 60 mph on a good course...

Hope you got video... Would love to see a few runs... Poor cones...

Comment

Red and I got in 6 runs. This stuff is hard to do, just finding the course - that part was harder than I thought. First time ever out there and I spent most of 4 runs just hoping I stayed on the course, no thought of strategy and line, etc. Didn't know enough to go fast.

A nice torrential and lengthy downpour was the great equilizer. I didn't knock over a single cone, though on the first run (even after walking the course three times) I got completely lost and got DNF'ed after driving on the wrong side of maybe 4 of em.

And Brian, no 90 mph there, that straightaway as shown on paper is plenty long eough but it ain't at all straight in person. I guess in the dry maybe something in the 60 mph range would be pretty brave because there's a big assed mall sign at the end of that stretch.

My best was a 65 (seconds) and the guys in the Miatas were turning 53's, fighting for fastest time of the day.

It was pretty fun, and next month they'll do it about 4 miles from our house which will be cooler again.

Here's my personal FTD, it's a crappy video because the wipers kept jazzing with the focus on the camera. Check out Lake Eastgate (the name of the mall) toward the end of the run.

Last edited by pdub; May 19, 2013, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X