A Two-Days-In Windows 8 Product Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peewee View Post
    I go to the page on my site to prove to myself that I already have it... I think there is not an internet/file/find function on 8. Like, if you have an internet page lit up you can do that and find a keyword you type in, on that one internet page.

Does anybody here know how to do that on 8? I can't see how to do that. If I can't do that, .... well, I never got past the very first email in the pile because I couldn't do that. I can't roll without that.

Trying to decipher the meaning in this one...So, you're trying to search for text on a web page in IE10 (The version of Internet Explorer that comes with Windows 8 ) ?

Press ctrl-F (Control key and F) to bring up the Find window within the browser.

As White Monster mentioned a few times, the functionality is all still there for the most part, but Microsoft decided to make Windows 8 a unified platform for their phones, tablets, and PCs. Given the constraints of a phone and tablet compared to a PC, this "dumbed down" the UI for the PC in a few key ways (Elimination of the start menu, for example) that many people aren't happy with.

The adoption rate for Windows 8 on PCs suffered because of this, and Microsoft has a big update for Windows 8 that I believe is targeted for later this year (Probably bringing back much of the Win7 look and feel, along with the start menu).

Overall, Win7 and Win8 ARE better than XP in many ways, but they take some getting used to. Think of the learning curve from Windows 3.1 to Windows 95.

I used to work for Microsoft (For their Health Solutions Group), so I know how much they have invested in Windows 8 and what it means that they're admitting defeat in regards to the proposed UI changes for Windows 8 that I mentioned above.

Overall, they have the market share and will figure this out. Windows 8 will become another distant memory, much like the Windows ME failure back in the early 2000s.

Of course, now I'm working for a company that provides security for Google Apps and writing from my company-supplied Macbook, so what does that tell you?
    Last edited by DNut; May 26, 2013, 01:37 PM.
    I take photos.

Comment

Originally posted by DNut View Post
      Trying to decipher the meaning in this one...So, you're trying to search for text on a web page in IE10 (The version of Internet Explorer that comes with Windows 8 ) ?

Press ctrl-F (Control key and F) to bring up the Find window within the browser.
      Good goshamighty whockamolies. Thank you so much DNut!

Thank you SIR. They took that off of the menu on 8. I reckon because they thought I already knew that command.

Gyalleeee, thanks so much. That's the last piece of the puzzle. I can actually do what I want to do now, pretty sure of it.

Wow, whatta a struggle. Did I ever say I love BangShift?
      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Happy to help!
        I take photos.

Comment

I believe the Menu bar will still show up if you just press the ALT key when you're in your browser.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
            I believe the Menu bar will still show up if you just press the ALT key when you're in your browser.
            Dang. There it is again. I guess I shoulda taken Steve's advice and bought the Dumb Book.

My one character trait, if there is one, don't hide stuff from me and expect me to find it. I'm no good at puzzles. I'll never get it.

Comment

Dang. There it is again. I guess I shoulda taken Steve's advice and bought the Dumb Book.

My one character trait, if there is one, don't hide stuff from me and expect me to find it. I'm no good at puzzles. I'll never get it.
              Right click any of the toolbars and like the one that says Tools and choose Menu Bar

or

Alt - View - Toolbars - Menu Bar

if you want it to show up all the time.
              Last edited by Beagle; May 26, 2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                Right click any of the toolbars and like the one that says Tools and choose Menu Bar

or

Alt - View - Toolbars - Menu Bar

if you want it to show up all the time.
                Thanks Beags! Cool beans, I'll hush on this matter and get down to work now, I've got a lot to do.

Comment

I was looking at favorites list

9 years old.

some things can keep going. I am not looking forward to the dumbasses who think we are all dumbasses...burying all the basic functions as they used to be.

win98 was like popping a hood of a chevelle and standing inside the engine bay while you smacked the carb.

today sucks.

I had a trs 80 in 1985. A modem. No security yet in companies that took a dial in. I got in trouble for hacking.. just for dialing.
                  peewees complaints .. its just funny to think about. from a gui at all, to 95, 98, me, 2000, xp, vista, 7 and now 8..
                  Has anyone had them all. I skipped over 3.1, was in the military.. and they did have some serious computers, I had to use them.

how bout some redhat 5.0 .. on a 56k modem. auto resume for when the 24 hour kick had to redial to resume. that sound..

or a gigahertz overclocking, in 1999. Superstar.. for about a week.

Last edited by Barry Donovan; May 27, 2013, 08:39 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I just stepped into the 21st century and got a phone that does more than make and receive telephone calls and occaissional short text messages. Galaxy 4s ... wow, it's a nasty piece of hardware. I think it's more hardware than my laptop... lol.

Holy Crap pdub, I feel your pain. Google OS on it means I don't know where anything is yet. I've been a lifelong supporter of MSFT but with their current attitude about pretty much everything (F* you customer, we'll tell you what we want, F* you 20 year employees, we don't care if you got us here, we're replacing you with new guys) I've abandoned ship. If they can't get their heads out of their asses, that ship is going to hit ground. I've supported it from the beta of 1.0 to now - no more for me, thanks. The first software company I worked for shipped the first Windows application - before Windows 1 shipped.

I think I'll be able to get around in this phone easier than a Windows 8 phone. If you get to where you REALLY hate Windows 8, I installed a Linux distro the other day that is so much like XP you'll be right at home. For free.
                    Last edited by Beagle; May 29, 2013, 05:08 PM.

Comment

I've learned from all of this....if you're a not-an-elite-computer person, if you're gonna do Windows 8 on a PC, you'd better already know all of those ctrl-"key" commands if you're ever gonna run it. That, and the trick Admirall2 sent to get the start menu back. Eureka!

With all that in hand, thanks BangShifters! - I'm just about in business.

And one of the only magic keyboard commands I already knew ahead of time - ctrl-D to take you back to the desktop, you'd better know that one, even after you are navigating "well" on 8. No, I'm through bitching about it. It's another operating system, but it will eventually do what you need. If you hold your tongue right.

And after work each day since I got it, I still haven't had the motivation to update my website, would rather BangShift instead, but I can now do that update. When I'm less of a sorry contributor to the value of the hobby enterprise. I'll do it, maybe this weekend. No, maybe next. 8's just a puzzle. A cruel puzzle for us old folks.

Comment

I admit, I don't even know 7 .. been a year.
                        I refuse to get a phone with buttons smaller than a fleas fingers.

I used to be enthused, and then some minority took over, as billions of dollars can do that temporarily to anything.

It might come around for us get to the point and click kinda people.

I do nothing but web, older video. My lines are drawn, just had to learn them.
                        Previously boxer3main
                        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I do all my moderating and administrating duties on my iPad and iPhone...
                          I post derby results as they happen in the pits or standingin he arena...
                          Have not sat at the desk top since I got my iPad..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            I do all my moderating and administrating duties on my iPad and iPhone...
                            I post derby results as they happen in the pits or standingin he arena...
                            Have not sat at the desk top since I got my iPad..
                            ...and you've had me post some photos for you here Bob, which I gladly did, because you couldn't do it on the new shit you've got....just sayin'

Comment

...and you've had me post some photos for you here Bob, which I gladly did, because you couldn't do it on the new shit you've got....just sayin'
                              Yep.. That's operator idiocy.. Others with iPhones post... I'm just THICK in more ways than one...

Comment

Working...
                              X