No announcement yet.

And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

Street Racing Car Accident Kills One in Santee, California
    June 12th, 2008

A car accident, possibly caused by street racing, has killed one person and injured three others in Santee. The crash occurred at the intersection of Mast Boulevard and Halberns Boulevard.

The two cars, witnesses say, were involved in a street race at the intersection, which has long been known as a magnet for street racing. One was a Dodge Neon and the other is suspected to be a silver Mitsubishi Eclipse. Cars frequently race here at all times of the days, sometimes even ending up in people’s houses from the speed. In this case, the two drivers were allegedly racing at 11 am on westbound Mast Boulevard, when one of the cars hit a median and crashed into a pickup truck going in the opposite direction. The driver of the car was killed, while his two passengers were injured. The driver of the pickup has been reported to be in stable condition, and has been treated for his injuries at a local hospital.

Neighbors who live near the scene of the car accident complain that nothing is being done about the increasing amount of street racing in the area. Kids aren’t safe outside anymore, they complain, and it’s normal to have cars jumping off curbs and onto sidewalks.

In this case, the person dead and his passengers who were injured were teenagers. The diver died at the scene and his passengers were flown to Sharp Memorial Hospital for treatment.

Police are currently on the lookout for the other vehicle that was involved in the street racing car accident – the Mitsubishi Eclipse. That driver sped off after the car accident.

Meanwhile, families of the teenager who died and those who have been injured have a difficult time ahead of them. The impact of the crash, police say, was severe and the driver died before emergency crew could arrive at the scene.

Street racing is dangerous, not just for the persons involved, but also for the safety of others on the road. In this car accident, the driver of the pickup truck, who was an unfortunate victim of the follies of a teenager high on adrenaline, was left with no severe injuries to report. But it could have easily been a fatal situation. For people to be driving at such speeds and so recklessly on a busy road can have terrible consequences, and it’s worrying that the police have not shown any interest in tackling this problem.

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12

you notice its only the bad drivers crashing and killing people but the good ones live to tell about it....that to me just seems like natures way of saying stop driving

Comment

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

Alrighty Joe...I'll bite.

You seem to classify your self as one of the "good drivers".

Qualify yourself as one of the "good drivers" what have you done to cement yourself in that category? Now the answer I'm looking for includes stuff like actual competiton driving, schools, or other formal driving activity. No horse crap about driving 90mph go karts as a kid or pickup trucks as an infant.

Let's hear it Joe.

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

11 AM on a busy street? : It reminds me of another one a few years ago in Santa Ana Ca. Two morons racing down Main street at 9 AM, one of them t-boned a guy in his 80's driving a '68 Chevelle killing him. Sad... and stupid!
        Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Stupid, When we did this crap when I was a kid it was on back (WAY BACK) country roads...the only people we were gonna kill were ourselves...

Comment

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12

Interesting how this thread ties to the one about catching the 12 street racers in NC. They're EVERYWHERE! I just hope we can put a stop to this carnage, but I suppose it's been happening since the invention of testosterone. I'll agree with the point that I don't care if they kill themselves or each other (although is sad when kids don't have the chance to grow out of this), but the real tragedy is that all too often, it's the innocent folks who just happen to be driving by who pay the price.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Joes66chevy
              you notice its only the bad drivers crashing and killing people but the good ones live to tell about it....that to me just seems like natures way of saying stop driving
              What makes a good/bad driver anyway?

At the risk of some amount of ridicule on the boards, I'll make an admission. I recently renewed my drivers license and was asked to take a driving test. I said okay, no sweat. Passed the written part no problem. I then took the driving part. Guess what? I failed it. Bad habits creep in, and after 20 years, those habits die hard. Part of what made me fail, was that I refused to do the turn around part of the test that involves backing up through an intersection. I have never, and will never do such a thing. I guess the tester didn't like that. I don't think it's safe and they shouldn't be teaching people to do that. I told him that. Anyway, I took it again and passed no problem.

My point is, I considered myself a good, no, make that very good driver. No accidents, just some speeding tickets here and there. Until a month ago I hadn't been pulled over for anything in about 8 years. Taking that test opened my eyes a little and made me realize otherwise. Like Brian said, unless you've had some specialized training, I don't think you can count yourself above everyone else.

Comment

I used to consider myself a good driver until a few pro driving lessons at Willow springs showed me otherwise. I cut like 15 seconds off my laptimes though, so I now consider myself "getting better"

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Ok, I'll bite, too. What makes a good driver? I was talking to the wife about this....

Good every day driver=following the rules, not causing wrecks, using signals and just watching out for everyone and not being careless.

Good driver=control all the time especially in the face of adversity....making a car do what you want, when you want.

Being a good driver can mean you have gone your whole life without a violation, ticket, wreck or anything. Does that mean that if put in a situation by choice or not that you can CONTROL your car? Maybe not. Skidding, sliding, blowout, someone pulling in front of you? Anything can happen at any time and when that does.....control and keeping your cool behind the wheel makes you a good driver.

I never throw my two pennies in, so there they are.

Ax

Comment

I was a good driver until a couple years ago I was driving into town and wasn't paying attention, and plowed into the back of a van that had stopped on the highway for the car in front that was making a left turn.

What makes a good driver? 100% attention all the time......

Fortunately (or unfortunately?) the street racing deaths are just a very small part of the 43,000 traffic deaths each year in the US.
                    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

lets see i dont drive like an ass on public roads(dirt backroads dont count)i drive like everyone is going to hit me so im really careful to protect my c10...track only for the hardcore shit thank you.if it has to be done a dirt road is only going to kill me and the other driver so im not a stupid shit like those idiots who race on traffic infested streets and i wouldnt say im a GOOD driver but im not an idiot.the only time i have EVER driven my green rocket(90mph go-kart) was at a roundy-round event at my uncles track where there were karts that blew by me like i was sitting still.i wouldnt drive that thing on the streets because i would be under someones car in seconds because it steers like a pacman game and the power is on or off thats it

Comment

Even if you have had special training as a driver,that still does not qualify you as a good,bad or otherwise driver.All the training and driving in the world cant protect you from the other drivers out there.Just because you are a competitive driver,does not make you any better out on the street with all the rest of us dumb asses!!!!!!
                        Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

The Kid makes a great point. 'Tain't us, necessarily - them other folks are out there trying to kill us and we're not in charge of what stupidity they may chose to perpetrate. That's precisely why I stopped riding motorcycles here in Wilmington (I would in a less populated area).

Dan

Comment

Why thanks Dan, sometimes I even suprise myself.
                            Keep smiling,makes them wonder whats on your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek
                              I used to consider myself a good driver until a few pro driving lessons at Willow springs showed me otherwise. I cut like 15 seconds off my laptimes though, so I now consider myself "getting better"

Isn't it funny how a little education makes you realize you have so much more to learn.

Comment

Working...
                              X