No announcement yet.

And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

Ok Chris, you need to go into speech writing or motivational speaking. That (again) was very well said and hits right at the root of the matter.

I guess I was one of the lucky guys who had a great mom and dad who did not spare the rod when I did something that I deserved a whupping for as a kid, but also managed to instill into me the belief that I could do/accomplish whatever I set my mind to.

I look at my son now who is 19 months and is still in the stage where he hauls ass to the door when I get home at night with a big smile on his face. Every night he starts blurting out "Twacta Wide" (translation: tractor ride) so we go out back, fire up the tractor and hot lap the backyard on it for 5-10 minutes.

It literally makes his day. I can remember doing stuff like that with my dad (probably a bit older but same idea) and it means a lot. I feel sorry for kids who don't have that bond or even that person to run to see at the door.

I think a lot of problems we have stem from that.

Anyway, sorry to ramble, but I think we need to write Chris's name on a ballot or something!

Brian
    That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12

Originally posted by joebogey
      Squirrel and hondagod, I think you're agreeing with each other. What hondagod's saying is that what we do with our kids prepares them to deal with what society gives them.

When I was learning to drive, one thing my Dad pounded into my head was, there's a kid chasing after a ball coming our from behind that parked car, and the car in the next lane or coming the other way is going to cut you off. True defensive driving, not being afraid of what is going to happen, but be prepared for anything that can.
      Heck, we could be brothers. Sounds just like what my dad used to drum into my head. Thankfully.

Comment

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12

[/quote]

And I like Brian's post about engineering students...and Dan's post about the engineers...very funny stuff! I worked at a junkyard then a transmission shop when I was in engineering school, I was always taking apart dirty broken stuff, so I learned a hell of a lot about engineering at my non-engineering part time jobs.

[/quote]

My son is a mechanical engineer (automotive engineering specialty from UNC-Charlotte) and I think one of the things that has made him successful thus far is not only having been successful in school, but also having put all that stuff into use by getting his hands dirty. Whether it be putting together the new brake system in my '50 Studebaker truck (at 15), pulling transmissions from my various vehicles to changing the electrical system in his '55 Champion from 6 to 12 volts (at 16), or doing his own modifications to his BMW (M3 that HE bought for himself and has raced at Maxton). He did most of this with my encouragement, but certainly not my expertise, as I am not the mechanic in the family -- he is. Sorry if I bragged too much --just a very proud Dad.

Comment

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

Great to be a proud dad Joe. Funny how the levels of proud go I guess. Today I was proud that Tom magically started counting to 5 on his own....I bet the feeling is the same regardless of the accomplishment.

I have the utmost respect for engineers of all ilks. I was not trying to take a swipe at any of them. Ol' Dave at the fleet garage just wanted guys to work, not analyze why the problem occurred and create a lasting solution.

He was looking for a guy to say..."That truck needs intake manifold gaskets" and replace the intake manifold gaskets.

The guy was a gem. He called engineers "philosophers"....he was full of 'em.

Brian
          That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            Great to be a proud dad Joe. Funny how the levels of proud go I guess. Today I was proud that Tom magically started counting to 5 on his own....I bet the feeling is the same regardless of the accomplishment.

I have the utmost respect for engineers of all ilks. I was not trying to take a swipe at any of them. Ol' Dave at the fleet garage just wanted guys to work, not analyze why the problem occurred and create a lasting solution.

He was looking for a guy to say..."That truck needs intake manifold gaskets" and replace the intake manifold gaskets.

The guy was a gem. He called engineers "philosophers"....he was full of 'em.

Brian
            Hey Brian I did not take what you said for one second as a lack of respect. Most good engineers will probably tell you that there are some, like in all professions, that only know what's in the book and could not relate that to the real world if they tried.

Pride in you kids is the same no matter the accomplishment. A goal on the soccer field, counting to five, raising their own kids, or providing succesfully for their families -- its all the same. ;D

Comment

Working...
            X