No announcement yet.

And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12

I used to break in new engineers. I was dismayed to find that the fairly recent grads were allowed to graduate thinking that they actually knew something. Usually, us old techs were able to burst that bubble in a week or two. Than they would start ASKING instead of TELLING, and we all got along better and achieved more. On the other hand, I learned almost everything I know from the engineers - some of 'em would take the time to explain the theory behind what we were doing, and I deeply appreciate their efforts.

So yeah - the more we know, the more ignorant we know we are.

Dan

Comment

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

When I worked as a fleet mechanic during college, the guy who ran the garage asked every applicant the same question first..."Are you an engineering student."

If you answered in the affirmative the interview ended.

Luckily my response was, "You think I look smart enough to be an engineering student!?"

Hired me on the spot.

The guy was awesome to work for. He used to walk right up to you in the middle of a job, stop, shake his head and say, "Lohnes, I taught you everything I know...and you still know nothing." Then he'd laugh his ass off and walk away.

His other big piece of wisdom when he was teaching me to use the big Mig welder.."Welding is like being with a woman...take you time an enjoy it."

I also fell in love with plasma cutters at that job...

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Re: And yet another street racing death & Injuries in San Diego (Santee) June 12th

Ive been having this conversation with my son and oldest daughter. Both have managed to bend up a car already. Daughter (19yr old) rear ended a car that "wasent there" and the 17yr old son (who always commented on his sisters driving) just recently pulled out into traffic in front of another car in MY car. >

They are both very capible of "operating" a vehicle, making it go, stop, turn, park etc... What Ive been preaching to them and is finally sinking in is what makes a good driver is someone who is AWARE of whats going on around them and is prepaired and is prepairing for what MAY happen. Always looking for an exit, running scenerio's in their mind, what if's, etc...

They understand that residential racing and screwing around is wrong. In our neighborhood (19yrs here now) our street has the reputation of chasing people down who speed through our 'hood. Currently Im investigating joining our sherrifs dept as a reserve so I can take speed enforcement one step further.

I used to street race in the early 80's then again on superbikes in the mid 90's. Guilty. Not saying it was right but we did it outside town. Ive also been down the 1/4 before too.

Todays kids are a different breed with different ideas. Im going to piss of alot of people and say its our fault theyre this way. WE raised them. (or didnt raise them) WE allowed them to be influenced by movies, internet, TV, peers etc.... WE are the ones who let this crap into our homes and exposed our kids to it.

Now WE are reaping what we have sown. (sp?) It didnt get this way overnight and it wont change overnight. WE need to get our act together and get our society back on track or our society is going to cease to exist. :-[

Or you could just stick your head back in the dirt and say "its not MY fault". > If thats our attitude then we will, in ours or our kids lifetime, see the end of all that we hold dear. :'(

Rant off...

Chris 8)

Comment

Chris...you spelled nothing wrong and you nailed it HARD on the head.

Well done.

Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
            Chris...you spelled nothing wrong and you nailed it HARD on the head.

Well done.

Brian
            Indeed.

Right on the head.

Comment

Chris, I like your post, only have one quibble with it....

Originally posted by dhondagod
              Im going to piss of alot of people and say its our fault theyre this way. WE raised them. (or didnt raise them) WE allowed them to be influenced by movies, internet, TV, peers etc.... WE are the ones who let this crap into our homes and exposed our kids to it.
              You see, I have 3 sons, the oldest just turned 20, the twins just turned 17. They've all been exposed to the same crap you talk about, but they react to it and behave quite differently from each other. I know I didn't raise them to be different from each other....they seem to have some internal thing that makes them different. Especially the twins....

So don't be too quick to lay all the blame on society, the fact is that people are genetically predisposed to behave in certain ways, and there just isn't much we can do about it. That's not to say that you don't need to be strict with your kids, you do, but there are some kids who just can't behave no matter what, and others who will behave right no matter what.

And I like Brian's post about engineering students...and Dan's post about the engineers...very funny stuff! I worked at a junkyard then a transmission shop when I was in engineering school, I was always taking apart dirty broken stuff, so I learned a hell of a lot about engineering at my non-engineering part time jobs.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                Chris, I like your post, only have one quibble with it....

Im going to piss of alot of people and say its our fault theyre this way. WE raised them. (or didnt raise them) WE allowed them to be influenced by movies, internet, TV, peers etc.... WE are the ones who let this crap into our homes and exposed our kids to it.
                So don't be too quick to lay all the blame on society, the fact is that people are genetically predisposed to behave in certain ways, and there just isn't much we can do about it. That's not to say that you don't need to be strict with your kids, you do, but there are some kids who just can't behave no matter what, and others who will behave right no matter what.

What kind of men would your sons be if they had never been exposed to the crap we see every day? Are they shocked when someone dies or saddend when someone divorces? Do they see relationships as a life commitment? Will they be men that will stand for whats right because its right or go with the flow so they dont "offend" anyone? Are they trying to fit into a mold which society says they should fit or do they think as an individual?

If you were gone tomorrow, did you prepare your kids to survive as men of honor and integrity?

These are questions I ask myself everyday as a father and it scares the hell out of me. Watch what your kids do. Pay attention and get to know their friends. Look at what they read. (books, internet etc) What movies/TV programs do they watch?

What you watch, what you read, who you hang around and what you dwell on in your mind is who you will become.

If you cant answer these questions about your kids then your failing your kids. If we are not protecting them and teaching them what to watch out for in this world then we ARE responsible for the world we live.

We have allowed our world to become what it is in the name of "tolerance" and "political correctness", and it has cost us the souls of our children and our country... :'(

Today, what will YOU do different/better than yesterday? (directed at all of us, not just squirrel) We CAN fix this.

Chris :-\

Comment

Very good points Chris, and it's interesting to see how my kids absorb a lot of the same material, but end up with quite different attitudes and values. There is a lot going on in their minds...they are not just sponges, they each see things in their own way, and adopt those things which fit, and not that which doesn't. We do spend a lot of time talking about this stuff, and I do know a lot about what they are into and what they value.

I do have the luxury of having been here at home with the kids most of their lives (except when they're in school), so I'm probably doing better than many parents. I know it's scary, but hey, we lived thru the 70s and 80s, didn't we?

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Not trying to preach at anybody but its something Im passionate about.

I envy you for your time with your kids. Having to be gone during the day doing the 8-5 grind, then starting a business and supporting my wife and kids with it I missed alot. My wife was at home with them untill their teens though. That was by our choice even though it meant a simpler lifestyle.

It seems though that the world throws so much garbage at us its hard to survive trying to do whats right just because its right. You know?

Chris

Comment

ive street raced. now that theres a track 12 miles from me theres no excuse anymore though. really i dont understand racing where theres witnesses (potential victims?).. everyone has a cell phone nowadays and cant wait to play cell phone hero if they see something illegal going down. also i dont see how being a "good" driver would help you in a street racing crash, YOU being a good driver and not crashing wont keep you out of prison if the guy you are racing hits a school bus or something.. theres a man doing 7 years in iowa because the cobra kit car he was racing with his trans am rolled, killing the driver. something to consider i think.

Comment

What kind of men would your sons be if they had never been exposed to the crap we see every day? Are they shocked when someone dies or saddend when someone divorces? Do they see relationships as a life commitment? Will they be men that will stand for whats right because its right or go with the flow so they dont "offend" anyone? Are they trying to fit into a mold which society says they should fit or do they think as an individual?

If you were gone tomorrow, did you prepare your kids to survive as men of honor and integrity?

These are questions I ask myself everyday as a father and it scares the hell out of me. Watch what your kids do. Pay attention and get to know their friends. Look at what they read. (books, internet etc) What movies/TV programs do they watch?

What you watch, what you read, who you hang around and what you dwell on in your mind is who you will become.

If you cant answer these questions about your kids then your failing your kids. If we are not protecting them and teaching them what to watch out for in this world then we ARE responsible for the world we live.

We have allowed our world to become what it is in the name of "tolerance" and "political correctness", and it has cost us the souls of our children and our country... :'(

Today, what will YOU do different/better than yesterday? (directed at all of us, not just squirrel) We CAN fix this.

Chris :-\
                        This man needs to run for office...

Comment

He is far too intelligent to do that! ;D

Brian

Comment

Fair enough. ;D

But it would be nice if someone with that kind of integrity would do so.....

Comment

Squirrel and hondagod, I think you're agreeing with each other. What hondagod's saying is that what we do with our kids prepares them to deal with what society gives them.

When I was learning to drive, one thing my Dad pounded into my head was, there's a kid chasing after a ball coming our from behind that parked car, and the car in the next lane or coming the other way is going to cut you off. True defensive driving, not being afraid of what is going to happen, but be prepared for anything that can.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                                He is far too intelligent to do that! ;D

Brian

No sir, I am an idiot, besides, Id either get shot for firing too many polititions or go to prision for killing them. ;D

Whats wrong with our beloved country is rooted in the home. If we fix that the political issues will reverse as well. NOT the other way around...

For the record Im not saying anyone here is a bad parent, but I never got the instruction manual when I brought my kids home from the hospital. (Youd think for what those kids cost Id at least got SOMETHING! ;D)Ive made plenty of mistakes, trust me! But what we need to do is help the young parents around us not make our mistakes, teach them how to raise and protect their kids, help them get through the storms in their marriages to make them stronger, not get divorced when the wind blows.

We're car guys... We fix things... We find the problem, identify the failure, then fix it... Its what we do! So lets start fixing it... We CAN do this!

Chris 8)

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X