Lets go Nuclear!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets go Nuclear!!!

With the never ending price of gas just climbing everytime you pull into the gas station, maybe it's time to take another look at Ford's idea for the "MOBILE CHERNOBYL"....http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=656

Re: Lets go Nuclear!!!

If you catch the end...."The Navy's perfect Record of nuclear safety" is only due to the most intense schooling and tightest maintenance and testing requirements in the world. If you look at other countries records....Not so good.

While I am an ex-Navy Nuke....And I love Nuclear power for electrical powerplants....Not in cars. :P

At least not in the current steam power configuration...The required maintenance would be too demanding and consequences/expenses to severe if not followed.

Now....If they could finalize the details of direct release reactors...where neutrons actually interact with a "material" and cause massive electron release...that would make for one wicked electric powered car. :o

Very cool subject...I get geeked thinking about it.

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

A big nuclear plant used to recharge electric cars (or possibly generate hydrogen to power ICE or fuel cell cars) is the probably the closest we'll ever get.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Jim haven't they about stopped new nuclear power plants?

freaking weenies...

K

Comment

Keith -
          We live about 15 miles from a nuke plant and get most of our power from it (Brunswick - 2 reactors). There have been serious negotiations for the past year or so to expand it by adding another reactor. The price of fossil fuels and the resultant changing political atmosphere seem to make this at least a possibility. According to our local news reports, ours isn't the only plant looking at this as a potential solution. I'm pretty comfortable with them, with my sole reservation being the storage of the waste. Hopefully they'll come up with a way to reprocess the stuff and make more usable energy from it - but we're not there yet. I think the possibility of the plant going BOOM is fairly small.

Dan

Comment

My buddy Pat works for a company that designs some of the systems used in those plants.

He's a busy guy.

They are getting built in locations all over the world...just not a the pace they should be here.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
              A big nuclear plant used to recharge electric cars (or possibly generate hydrogen to power ICE or fuel cell cars) is the probably the closest we'll ever get.
              I'd like to see a mini-nuclear power plant in place of the Gasoline refineries built soley to produce Hydrogen for our fuel needs.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've looked at the NRC, AWS, ASNT, and ASME stuff on inspections required for nuclear stuff... I'm not worried about the equimpent, I'm worried about the monkeys in the control room. There have been a lot of talk about putting them on military bases to make them easier to gaurd but I'm not sure most of our bases have enough room for that kind of a plant or on a river needed for the cooling water.
                Central TEXAS Sleeper
                USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

They stopped putting in nuclear plants in the 80s (the one in Arizona, Palo Verde, was the last one and was built in the early 80s) but there seems to be a lot of talk about getting to work on some new ones. It won't be easy!
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

There has been a lot of talk in the last year about one being planned for Amarillo.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                    1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                    1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                    1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                    1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                    1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

Reminds me of the "Mr. Fusion" in a certain Delorean, circa 1985....
                      It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Yeah, a movie prop.....too bad you can't really get energy out of movie props.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Its simple: we need reactors.

As far as them not being safe in cars-- people used to think all kinds of things (and some still do). For example, people used to have the perception that travelling at the rate of one mile per minute (60 mph) would tear your skin off. People also believed that gasoline was extremely explosive, and too dangerous to carry around in the tank of a car going as fast as 30 mph. You know of any others? I for one think that reactors in cars could be made safe enough, even in the event of a crash.
                          The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                            I for one think that reactors in cars could be made safe enough, even in the event of a crash.
                            I agree here, it's a matter of design. There are solid state nuclear heat generators that the nuclear fuel is encased in glass or some other medium so it does not move at all and simply generates heat. The amount of heat needed to generate enough electricity to propel even a large vehicle is no where near what it would take to melt down. Remember grid power plants generate hundreds of Mega-watts, a car would only need a couple hundred Kilo-watts at most. (If I'm using the converter right a 1000HP equals 746Kw). Big difference in scale and threat. Heck there are already several satellites that use nuclear power for electricity, granted those are only 1/2 kilowatt generators usually, but the technology is there to be built upon if it already hasn't been.
                            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

It was tryed in aircraft and worked.. A B-36 made 47 successful flights using a one-megawatt reactor before the nuclear test ban treaty, that was in the works put an end to any further development.. This aircraft could be airborne longer then most air crews could withstand...And this was in the late 50's and early 60's before computers could help with design of a smaller reactor..

Comment

Working...
                              X