Does this kind of place exist?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this kind of place exist?

Hi everyone, Is there any place that will rent tools and work space or maybe a lift for you to work on your own cars in Socal near Los Angeles or San Gabriel? I'm looking for a place like that to make working on my car easier. Any info would be very helpful.

Scott L is the person you can help with that info
    Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I dont know of any place like that anywhere. Those of us who have been in the military had the Auto Hobby Shop that was exacly what you discribe.
      I've had discusions with several friends about opening a place like that,the problems are many,just on the napkin plans,Space,Tools,Lifts,work benches,that suff is easy to figure out. Its the unknowns (some of which one friend has a good WAG on),Insurance,and Storage space/liability.
      The best option ,cost wise ,is to find a shop owner that is ready to retire and convert his operation. The major tools would be in place but you would still have a lot of work cut out for you.
      I still think it would be cool.

Comment

Heard people talking about it, but don't know of any actually working.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

There used to be a place like that in Tucson 30 years ago, the Do It Yourself Garage. Didn't ever seem to be real busy.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            There used to be a place like that in Tucson 30 years ago, the Do It Yourself Garage. Didn't ever seem to be real busy.
            Makes sense. In the military you have to move often, so you live relatively sparse and as unfettered as possible so you can pick up and go easy. Since there are lots of DIY people in the military having the Auto Skills Center/Hobby Shop works. In the civilian world, people move less often and car guys will get a place with a garage when they can swing it. Part of the reason I want to buy where I live now is it is all set up, has a shop and a huge storage shed, and everything I need to do my car thing. Finding a replacement for this place at a price I can afford would be daunting, even in BFE Nebraska.

Comment

Can't help you with so-cal, but we've had one of those open up here (Maryland) in an extinct Chevy dealership with a membership-type payment system. Kind of pricey, from what I understand, but they're still making it work a year or so in. They're sponsoring a small show and cruise in two weeks, so I'll get some pics.
              "First I believe if you keep the RPM's high enough, ANYTHING is possible." PeeWee

Comment

I have had the same question as op for years..

there is really odd stories out there, building a top notch work space perhaps via a daydream, and just sitting there doing nothing (I have a very expensive example in my family)

keep your head up in optimism, the shop collecting dust, ready to go with power on, truly exists.
                Previously boxer3main
                the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

sorry
                  As a frequent auto repair enthusiast, I miss having access to a car lift where I can take my car and work with my own tools. Are there lift bay rentals in the Boston suburbs? Thank you

Comment

There's a company that does garage condos
                    Not enough room at home to house all your cars, beer, flat screens and buddies? Buy a garage condo and the wife will never nag you to store her minivan in there again.

maybe there's one local to you - if so, ask them if they have anyone sharing a space.
                    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

We used to have them here in the Dayton Ohio area. I forget the name but there were 3 around here that i knew of and i used one once to do leaf springs and a sway bar 30 yrs ago. They had a lift and cleaning supplies, running water, and a barrel for old oil/antifreeze. But they didn't supply any tools. They guy who maintained the sites told me that they got sued by a customer who claimed a back injury while working on his car..... Do it yourself heavy maintenance seems fraught with the oportunity for something to go wrong.... and unfortunately we have evolved into a society that sees dollar signs when unfortunate things happen. So I assume just about all of these kinds of places have been killed off by our legal system.
                      Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I have had a few military friends talk about opening a shop like that, My guess is it would cost as much or more to rent a bay and do it your self as it would to drop it off and have it fixed. The only way I see the military hobby shop working is they are not trying to make money. There was one of the Tech Shops in my area but it closed. http://techshop.ws/index.html
                        http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                        1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

yes at any military installation/base they've got Auto hobby shops with all the tools you need plus car lifts/hoists
                          "if it's too loud you're too old !!! "sigpic

Comment

too old to join

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                              too old to join
                              Draft board classified me 2-H, and called me up.. Deaf school freaked out and told them I was deaf..reclassified me 4-F....

Comment

Working...
                              X