X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTX-SLPR
    replied
    Re: One Lap of America... in a beater

I'm going to hop onto the part about doijng it in a vehicle that costs less than the cost of entry. If you could do it and do it well enough to be taken seriously it would be a riot. Drag week doesn't have any corners... I'd do 1 Lap.

Leave a comment:

• Mr4Speed
    replied

Originally posted by Freiburger
    I'm not sure I could hang out with that volume of wankers for a week.
    Even if you could embarass every one of them with a crew cab Chevelle in dire need of paint?

Leave a comment:

• KeithTurk
    replied

The wanker factor is steeped in History...

Running 11's at Drag week in a Beater... now that would be fun...

To me if the best you can do is 16's.... your wasting folks time while you beat your junk on Drag week... but if you build a "serious Beater" ... 11's is Very realistic... Look at the Fairmont... Absolutely Classic case of just this exercise... and I'd bet the total outlay for that car wasn't radically over 5k ( not counting friends time... )

Keith

Leave a comment:

• Joeys66chevy
    replied

Originally posted by Freiburger
    hahahahah wanker is funny.... ???

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

Originally posted by revolutionary
    Maybe try doing the one lap with that dragster in your avatar... could be interesting!
    Daryl...funny you should say that.

Gary Beck ran a Top Fuel dragster around the road course at Mosport in 1974. It's documented history.

Their sponsor (a tobacco company) was sponsoring a road race at the place and Beck's deal was a pre race activity. He claims that he was only a few seconds off of the track record.

I'm guessing he made up time on the straights!

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Freiburger
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Spencer
    replied

This is just an idea at this point. I'm thinking of making this my vacation next year. I would allow a budget of around 5K, including entry fee, car, car setup etc. It would be way fun, and what better way to kill a cheap car than this?

Leave a comment:

• JeffMcKC
    replied

X2

Leave a comment:

• dieselgeek
    replied

nah, just do drag week. One Lap seems to get weak coverage but Drag Week is where it's at. You meet the best people, become friends with them for life, and have on heluva time doing it. The "Adventure Factor" is quite a bit higher than Power Tour. You or someone you like, will break junk and have to fix it to stay with the crowd. It's awesome.

-scott

Leave a comment:

• 1970camaroRS
    replied

Do it in a car that costs less than the cost of entering the race. That would make one hell of an article about the snobbery of racing.

Leave a comment:

• SpiderGearsMan
    replied

in 1994 , I started a one lap of america 79 seville
    it got as far as pulling the olds 350 ......

Leave a comment:

• revolutionary
    replied

Maybe try doing the one lap with that dragster in your avatar... could be interesting!

Leave a comment:

• Brian Lohnes
    replied

That's the entry fee...

You also have to pay up a few hunny to the Vintage Racing Association who sanctions the thing.

You also have to prove you hold a racing license or have bondurat-like school experience or you will be turned away.

Back in 2002, I was going to do this with with a guy in an old Porsche 356 I was helping him with.

Once we started crunching numbers it was www.notgonnahappen.com

It'd be cool to do in a beater, but, meh, you'd have more fun with a beater on Drag Week if you ask me. Guys have run that thing in minivans and all other manner of stuff so the freak factor is kind of beaten out of it. I'd say if you were going to WIN the thing and not just for the hunting, give 'em hell. If you're headed in for fun, I'll say that DW is a better bet.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• tiresmoke!
    replied

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
    Think the entry fee is something like 1100-1500 bucks ! I could buy three beaters for that. Whitch would be more fun.
    $1100-$1500 to compete?

I want to add something snide about "reciprocity", but in interest of decorum(from ME...LMAO).....that much dough for an uppity version of PT....meh.....

Then again, chugging past the wine and cheese crowd in a clapped-out POS would be worth it just for the look on their faces.......

Leave a comment:

• antmnte
    replied

Why not just run a Seville. Way more comfortable than a Nova.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X