• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caveman Tony View Post
    Hey, Lucas electrical is still smoking.
    there, fixed it for ya
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

^^ Really, a craigslist ad for your Explorer?
      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

I'd leave it down there for the aquatic resort that is is for the fishes and marine life. I don't think 60 feet is deep enough to keep it from decomposing, it's liable to crumble when they try to pick it up. 930k OOOOOPSie doopsie.
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by NightShifter View Post
          Really. What would you do?

Half a gallon in and I ran out of bondo. I think another gallon should cover it. The quarter anyway...
          It just seems like an odd thread for that... unless you were trying to relate repairing your car with bondo to rebuilding a long sunken aircraft?

Comment

I'd sink that nazi bitch. Oh wait.

Comment

I'm a little late to the party, but speaking as someone who is intimately involved with the historic aviation industry, this is the most important project that's come along in many years. You have to understand that rebuilding an original airplane that was actually flown in the Battle of Brittan is huge. Simply building a clone just isn't the same. It's like building a replica of one of Smokey Yunick's cars. Sure it's cool, but Smokey never touched it or used it in anger.

None other of its type exist in the world let alone in airworthy condition. Right now the hope is to fly it again which will be remarkable.
              1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
              1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                I'd sink that nazi bitch. Oh wait.
                Right. I'd rebuild it, then I'd shoot that bitch down and watch it sink in the same spot.

Comment

It's up -

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    It's up -
                    Well, that answers the rebuild question ... not much left !

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                      Well, that answers the rebuild question ... not much left !

Thumpr could fix it

Comment

Looks like great-grandpa's hammer to me.

Certainly cool, I love old stuff - but there is very very little that will be left in the restored version.
                        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Like I said, I'm fairly knowledgable in this subject. The data plate is in pretty good condition, and that's the only thing required for a rebuild to be called an origional and not a replica. That said, there's a lot more that's salvageable on that airplane than you might think.

Comment

Originally posted by 1970camaroRS View Post
                            Like I said, I'm fairly knowledgable in this subject. The data plate is in pretty good condition, and that's the only thing required for a rebuild to be called an origional and not a replica. That said, there's a lot more that's salvageable on that airplane than you might think.
                            Cool, thanks for bringing your experience to the table.

What is a data plate and what makes it the part needed to be classified as a rebuild ?
                            What other components appear to be salvageable ?
                            What I hear from you is that the historical value is well worth the investment required to get it in the air again ?

Comment

it always fascinates me the interplay between rebuild and recreate... when I was in Europe, I travelled through Italy to Greece (and its islands). To me, it was the tale of two different cultures. The Italians are all about preserving what's left (which, sometimes requires a great deal of imagination to see what was there from a few rocks scattered on a terra cotta floor); the Greeks are all about rebuilding to its former glory... I enjoyed Greece more, but I'm certainly not digging on the Italians for their love of originality (and ruins)
                              Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; June 11, 2013, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster View Post
                                Cool, thanks for bringing your experience to the table.

What is a data plate and what makes it the part needed to be classified as a rebuild ?
                                What other components appear to be salvageable ?
                                What I hear from you is that the historical value is well worth the investment required to get it in the air again ?
                                Per the FAA/CAA(british version) and everyone else that matters, the airplane is the dataplate just as a VIN plate identifies a car. Say you're rebuilding a '69 Z28 but the unibody is shot and needs to be replaced just like any other replacable part. It is possible and legal to remove and reaffix the VIN plate to the new body (or donor 'parts') as long as it's documented as such(mileage may vary from state to state). While some would frown upon this in the car world, in the arena of warbirds and historic aircraft, it's fairly routine. Even if it was a smoking hole in the ground, as long as a dataplate, or a few key identifying serial numbers, that pile of twisted metal can be considered THAT airplane even if every part is replaced, recreated, reconditioned or restored by whatever means.

If it's a recreation without a dataplate using reference parts or straight from plans, a new plate will have to be obtained with a new build number and tail number. Sometimes even restorations without a valid plate using more than one identifiable airplane will become a new experimental 'type' using the creators name as the manufacturer. I did a story once on a O-1 Bird Dog that was registered as something other than a Cessna.

As far as whats usable: the main wing spar, many of the wing ribs, a good deal of the fuselage under-structure (stringers and frames). Probably some of the nacelle structure. Most will be backwards engineered, some built from plans, or approximated with new drawings. The key will be in documenting everything during the restoration (as is normal) to satisfy the FAA (in this case the CAA since it will be a British restoration).

Comment

Working...
                                X